Suggestions for new skins (16 skins to do)

IBBoard
Administrator, Commissar
Administrator
Commissar
Progress to next rank:

38%

Suggestions for new skins (16 skins to do)

Postby IBBoard at 24 Aug 2005, 07:03

OK, I'm running short on ideas (I started some basic work on a "clean space marine" skin that's got the unchipped and unworn armour of the Table Top models, but its going to take a while before I get through it all!) and MadMaffMan wanted more Ork skins, although I don't have any specific ideas.

So, any ideas on skins you want to see? Post them here and someone might take them up :)

I'm likely to take colour scheme changes, but anything artistic like making the Force Commander look younger might be beyond me :D

[edit]
Current ToDo/suggestion list:
  • Rusted/decayed/old Chaos
  • SM two tone legs (ala this)
  • Kamarath's Space Marine Chapters (see here)
  • Add more gold to the Codex Librarian (backpack like Force Commander and gold psychic hood) - from Relic Forums
  • Make the Horror team colourable with team colourable Tzeentch symbols
  • Alternate camo marines as here
  • Camo on scouts
  • Sergeant with hair (presumably more than the Golden Eagles crew cut)
  • Additional purity seals on Dreadnoughts and Terminators
  • Orks with dry blood on their choppas
  • Other Orks with Checks (not just the Boyz) ALA 2nd Edition Goff Orks
  • Guard with no camo (infantry done, needs vehicles)
  • Veteran laurels on Space Marines (here)
  • Remove Inquisition "I" on Daemonhammer (here)
  • Team colouring for commander_wargear.rsh (Tau) and eldar_wargear.rsh (Eldar)
  • Camo on the Tau buildings
  • Non-metallic metallic Space Marines (using the non-metallic metal effect rather than specularity to make Marines look metallic)

Done:
Last edited by IBBoard on 23 Feb 2007, 18:54, edited 22 times in total.
Out now: Dawn of War Texture/Skin Downloads
At v0.1: WarFoundry (open source, cross-platform, multi-system army creation application)

MadMaffMan
Nob
Nob
Progress to next rank:

15%

RE: Suggestions for new skins (16 skins to do)

Postby MadMaffMan at 24 Aug 2005, 17:51

Well i'm new to all this skinning lark so i'm not sure if this is possible or it may have already been done. :oops:

Goff Orks could have loads of black and white check patterns and maybe loads of scars on their flesh.....Goffs do luv a good punch up.

Bad Moons and Evil Sunz could have more flames on them.

Blood Axes like camouflage......all those 'oomies they hang out with.

Snakebites like animal skins and tattoos.

Like i said i don't know if these ideas have been done or if it's not possible to do, but it would be great if it can. :lol:

Orkz Rule
Last edited by MadMaffMan on 25 Aug 2005, 01:08, edited 1 time in total.
"No Pity! No Remorse! No Beer!"

IBBoard
Administrator, Commissar
Administrator
Commissar
Progress to next rank:

38%

Postby IBBoard at 24 Aug 2005, 18:03

I did think of camo on Orks, but then didn't bother taking the idea any further.

Checks has already been done, but the download was on wolf.uni.cc or something and the server is basically dead now and no-one has supplied me with a new copy.

Snakebites/feral would be cool, but I'm not sure I'd be able to do leather/skin looks too well. Full fur skins might be better as a new model (although that'd involve building it from scratch, because Relic didn't release the Ork model).

And Evil Suns - I was possibly going to do a flamey one anyway. One of the armies mentioned in the original Rogue Trader rule book has flame tattoos up their arms :)

Would be good to get some more ork textures, but I think I'll get my race mods going first :)
At v0.1: WarFoundry (open source, cross-platform, multi-system army creation application)

MadMaffMan
Nob
Nob
Progress to next rank:

15%

Postby MadMaffMan at 24 Aug 2005, 18:40

Cool....i didn't know that there was a check pattern already. Does anyone have it or know where i can get my Orky hands on it?

What about a rusted Chaos skin, they dont look after their gear much do they?

Or some more camo Marines, maybe a dread, Fc or scouts. I would have to be good camo to hide a thing the size of a dread. :shock:

Some Eldar skins would be cool, they get the short end of the stick alot. That gravtank tigerstripe skin is the best. 8)

IBBoard
Administrator, Commissar
Administrator
Commissar
Progress to next rank:

38%

Postby IBBoard at 25 Aug 2005, 07:16

If anyone does know where to get the Ork skin, tell me! The only hosting I know of it went down and I think whoever created it either didn't reply to my PM or else said they'd lost their copy in a HD crash :\

Camo scouts would work well, although I've not manage to reskin scouts yet - the WTP tool doesn't like the dimensions of their texture.

But I think those ideas give quite a lot to still do :D Not sure how realistically I could rust things though, or whether it'd look a little too strange

MadMaffMan
Nob
Nob
Progress to next rank:

15%

Postby MadMaffMan at 25 Aug 2005, 17:27

Correct me if i'm wrong but at the time the Horus Heresy broke out Space Marines used Mark 5 armour, thats the suit with all the heavy reinforced studs on it.
Then it was the Mark 6 'Corvus armour' , the one with the beak shapped helmet.
Then the modern Mark 7 armour which Dow uses.

Anyway i'm rambling, how about a Chaos Mk 5 skin with all those heavy studs, Mk 5 armour used the same helmet design as Mk 7 so a new model shouldn't be needed.

Or an Iron Warriors chaos skin with lots of black and yellow chevrons on it like in the fluff.

Hmmm lets see if i can think of any more work for you guys...... :roll:

mel_danes

Postby mel_danes at 25 Aug 2005, 23:53

MadMaffMan
Nob
Nob
Progress to next rank:

15%

Postby MadMaffMan at 26 Aug 2005, 00:04

Wow....thanks mel_danes. Thats a fine lookin' Chaos Marine if ever there was one. :)
I can't wait for those to be released. I'm glad to see Chaos is finally getting its hands on a LandRaider at last.
Nurgle has always been my fav Chaos though, all that puss and goo....must be the little kid in me still i guess. :lol:

IBBoard
Administrator, Commissar
Administrator
Commissar
Progress to next rank:

38%

Postby IBBoard at 26 Aug 2005, 06:25

You could, in theory, do Mk5 as a texture, but the lumps on the shoulders wouldn't look as good as if they were modelled. Someone is doing a Horus Heresy mod somewhere though - I've seen pics on the Relic News forums of a couple of different Mks of armour :)

IBBoard
Administrator, Commissar
Administrator
Commissar
Progress to next rank:

38%

Postby IBBoard at 31 Aug 2005, 11:42

I've just been downloading Mel_Danes' original Space Marine retextures (for the vehicles and infantry) so that I can finally get round to mirroring them here (I kept forgetting Mel_Danes had other skins!) and I also tripped over a Camo Ork texture by Unknowndude.

I'll be mirroring the texture in the next day or so, and I'm not sure how good it is (the screenshot didn't look that great - different skin, but not very obvious camo) but it'll be here if you want to wait :) I might also do my own, as well as the checked skin in black/white, team colourable (secondary and trim?) and semi-team colourable (trim and transparent through to underlying shoulder pad colour) :)

First priority, though, is the Halved Space Marines as a Race :) just as soon as Danimator manages to get the AI working and I get the banner fixed :D

MadMaffMan
Nob
Nob
Progress to next rank:

15%

Postby MadMaffMan at 31 Aug 2005, 14:00

Hooray......more Ork skins i say. :D

How about some Ork skar boyz for Goff Orks???

I'm still testing the beta mod, will the new AI be ready anytime soon???

mel_danes

Postby mel_danes at 31 Aug 2005, 22:09

Yeah that camo skin is a Feral rework, watch out there IBB. On a related note, Ork players rejoice. To hell with waiting for winter assault, the Steel Legion mod is going to kick your ass. Not only do your get the one worthy guard regiment and all it badness but you get tons of new coolness for orks. I am helping Rob out and I can say this thing kicks my butt. I won't ruin it but I want you to know, even if you never play the guard part once you play orks this way you will never go back to basic DOW again,period!

MadMaffMan
Nob
Nob
Progress to next rank:

15%

Postby MadMaffMan at 31 Aug 2005, 23:20

Ohh don't tease me. Whats in it......eh!!!
When's it coming out?
I need all the help i can get. :)

IBBoard
Administrator, Commissar
Administrator
Commissar
Progress to next rank:

38%

Postby IBBoard at 01 Sep 2005, 07:26

Hopefully the AI should be working and released soon. Danimator has found what appears to be a very simple mistake that is causing it to crash. Unfortunately my computer is currently in the middle of an upgrade and in pieces with a powersupply that only has 20pins instead of 24 pins on the motherboard connector! I'm going to be going out in a few hours and getting a replacement or an adapter, then I should be able to get the new files to Danimator and the AI will hopefully finally run without a crash :)

The mid-upgrade does mean that the skins will take a while longer to upload as well, though. Unless I decided that the upgrade is taking too long and that I'll just upload them without screenies/thumbnails for now :D

mel_danes

Postby mel_danes at 01 Sep 2005, 21:35

Bum deal on the Mobo IBB. I've done tech support for years, I feel your pain.

MadMaffMan - I belive the phrase I'm looking for is OMFG! Now I am not a big user of internet chat lingo, but here it works. The build I have now is incredible. New units, redone units and plans for even more units. And thats as a side project for Steel Legion. Rob plans on a huge Ork mod when he finishes SL sometime soon. Orks are getting the love they deserve in warm steaming buckets. I have a contractual agreement to not "spill the beans" so please believe me, as a veteran 40k player of more than 15 years, the orks are getting done right!

Next