IBBoard
Administrator, Commissar
Administrator
Commissar
Progress to next rank:

38%

WarFoundry user bars

Postby IBBoard at 20 Mar 2010, 19:55

Frostlee has asked about userbars, which we don't have at the moment. We've got some standard HWT and Skins@HWT ones, but nothing for WarFoundry. I thought they'd been a fad that had died, but if people still want them then I can make them.

My current idea is to go for the shade of green that we use at the top of the site and the icon (if I can get it small enough! Might have to be a 16x16 icon) along with a number of titles:
  • WarFoundry - cross-platform army creation app
  • WarFoundry - Contributor
  • WarFoundry - Supporter
  • WarFoundry - Translator

Please feel free to throw in ideas, comments, or your own creations. There might be some better text that we can put in, but I'm not sure quite what it would be given the space limit. Also, I thought I'd seen a comment from Rob saying that people could describe apps as "army builders", just not name them (which would mean that the whole thing we went through was a waste of time), but they seem to have deleted that topic now...maybe it was just a technicality of "infringing use" and mere "improper use".
Out now: Dawn of War Texture/Skin Downloads
At v0.1: WarFoundry (open source, cross-platform, multi-system army creation application)

Frostlee
Guardsman
Guardsman
Progress to next rank:

20%

Re: WarFoundry user bars

Postby Frostlee at 21 Mar 2010, 13:29

i like the green shade and the icon, while for the text i suggest
  • WarFoundry - GLP army rooster creation app
  • WarFoundry - free army rooster creator
since in my opinon this describes better warfoundry without risking any copyright improper use.
i actualy prefer the second description, but they are just mere suggestion, feel free to mix them as needed.
i dont have any graphic skill, but i you give me something to work on i can try to do something! :P

IBBoard
Administrator, Commissar
Administrator
Commissar
Progress to next rank:

38%

Postby IBBoard at 21 Mar 2010, 13:48

I think I'll go for "roster" rather than the male chickens ;) I did think about "open source" (or GPL, if we want to get more specific) but thought that most people wouldn't care. I've seen quite a few searches for "linux army builder" and "mac army builder", hence the thought of including "cross-platform". I'll see how much text fits without looking cluttered when I actually make them.

When I make the userbars then I'll probably make a blank one and the source .xcf (Gimp) file available in case people have their own variation that they'd like to make (like counting their contributions or something). As for the icon, I realised that the bars are 19px high by default, which would require a 16px icon, which should mean that the app icon is just the right size to fit :)
At v0.1: WarFoundry (open source, cross-platform, multi-system army creation application)

Frostlee
Guardsman
Guardsman
Progress to next rank:

20%

Postby Frostlee at 21 Mar 2010, 14:42

well, is good to learn something everyday! today i learnt that adding an "o" lead you to mean something different! :D :P
anyway i thinked about "free software" since i care about and i know that in most case it also is "cross-platfom", but in the end you are right and i agree with you.
i dont have any other "propagandistic stuff" ideas, but if i come to someghint i'll tell you.

IBBoard
Administrator, Commissar
Administrator
Commissar
Progress to next rank:

38%

Postby IBBoard at 21 Mar 2010, 20:11

I guess "free, open source" would catch both important sets of eyes - those who care about "as in beer" and those who care about "as in speech" :)

OSS is quite often cross-platform, but not always. I guess people who use Windows will assume it works on Windows (after all, what else is there? ;) ) and those who use Linux/Mac will probably either check in the hope that it supports their OS or will check it out just because it is OSS.

My VM isn't working at the moment, so I can't fix the translation bug, so a quick bit of userbar bashing it is :) Hopefully I'll have something whipped up soon.

[edit] Okay, first shot. Source file is at http://warfoundry.co.uk/images/userbars/v1/userbar.xcf (it's a Gimp source file).

Comments? Suggestions? Other text ideas?

Frostlee
Guardsman
Guardsman
Progress to next rank:

20%

Postby Frostlee at 22 Mar 2010, 19:08

i'm gettin an "It was not possible to determine the dimensions of the image." error while trying to add the userbar to my signature.
i think it's a hiveworld's forum bug, since i'm using it in others forums without any problems...

edit: oh, by the way, i like them! :)

IBBoard
Administrator, Commissar
Administrator
Commissar
Progress to next rank:

38%

Postby IBBoard at 22 Mar 2010, 19:20

Looking at them again, I'm not so sure about them :D I think I need to put borders around the text, possibly around the icon as well, and make the border around the entire bar more of a mid-grey. A bit more of a gradient on the bars might work nicely as well.

As for the error, I'll investigate. I suspect I know what it is (it'll be trying to fetch the image to put dimensions in, but I've probably disabled remote fetches) and it isn't really necessary.

Hotlinking is okay for now, but it might be best to host them elsewhere, especially if I start updating them and you like a specific version.

[edit] Second go. Source file is at http://warfoundry.co.uk/images/userbars/v2/userbar.xcf (it's a Gimp source file).

Frostlee
Guardsman
Guardsman
Progress to next rank:

20%

Postby Frostlee at 23 Mar 2010, 10:35

as you can see now it works! :)
the borders around the text is a great idea to keep it more readable, but i prefer the icon without the black border.
[edit] i've made a custom one so now i completely avoid the hotlink problem. :)

IBBoard
Administrator, Commissar
Administrator
Commissar
Progress to next rank:

38%

Postby IBBoard at 24 Mar 2010, 19:22

Yeah, maybe the icon does look better without the border. I think I prefer the old green as well :) Time for v3!

snowblizz
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Progress to next rank:

61%

Postby snowblizz at 25 Mar 2010, 10:50

So where's my datafile author bar, hmmm?

Oh, BTW I've been meaning to ask can I get a largish version of the icon for the datafile group's page?

IBBoard
Administrator, Commissar
Administrator
Commissar
Progress to next rank:

38%

Postby IBBoard at 25 Mar 2010, 12:53

It's in the "text too long for the bar" pile ;) I'll see what I can do, but the source file is there if you want to make your own.

As for the large icon, just snag it off the main site: http://warfoundry.co.uk/images/logo.png. It is based on two other icons that were CC BY-SA or are now public domain (Tango icons for text editor and a MUD) and I had an SVG of it around somewhere as well.

snowblizz
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Progress to next rank:

61%

Postby snowblizz at 25 Mar 2010, 16:47

IBBoard wrote:It's in the "text too long for the bar" pile ;) I'll see what I can do, but the source file is there if you want to make your own.

I don't have a workable image editor, or I might have done something myself. :roll:

IBBoard wrote:As for the large icon, just snag it off the main site: http://warfoundry.co.uk/images/logo.png. It is based on two other icons that were CC BY-SA or are now public domain (Tango icons for text editor and a MUD) and I had an SVG of it around somewhere as well.

"Permission" was sorta what I was looking for. I'm a product of "free downloads" era, but you know, I wouldn't want to have YOUR lawyers sending me angry e-mails about improper use...

:P :D :D :D of course...

IBBoard
Administrator, Commissar
Administrator
Commissar
Progress to next rank:

38%

Postby IBBoard at 28 Mar 2010, 18:29

I don't have a workable image editor, or I might have done something myself.

Windows installer for GIMP :)
"Permission" was sorta what I was looking for.

Already on the bottom of the page:
Logo by IBBoard from CC-BY-SA licensed Tango icons.

:)
but you know, I wouldn't want to have YOUR lawyers sending me angry e-mails about improper use...

I wouldn't jump straight to the lawyers - I would, of course, first send an email saying that people must resolve the issues or the lawyers would be unleashed. That would obviously be entirely different to threatening people with lawyers ;)

snowblizz
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Progress to next rank:

61%

Postby snowblizz at 29 Mar 2010, 12:00

IBBoard wrote:
"Permission" was sorta what I was looking for.

Already on the bottom of the page:
Logo by IBBoard from CC-BY-SA licensed Tango icons.

:)

Means absolutely nothing to me though.

Me and GIMP... well... like I said, I need a "workable" one. Confused the heck out of me last time I made an attempt. That bloody OSsoftware. *sigh*
;-)

snowblizz
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Progress to next rank:

61%

Postby snowblizz at 31 Mar 2010, 11:10

Decided I might give it a shot, but of course v2 userbar.xcf gives a 404 error. Typical.

Next