IBBoard
Administrator, Commissar
Administrator
Commissar
Progress to next rank:

38%

Re: Translating WarFoundry

Postby IBBoard at 13 Dec 2009, 19:27

I'm not sure we need much image work with Photoshop at the moment (unless you want to improve on the logo - I like the Tango style, so patched together two images for now), but please feel free to cast an artistic eye over the app as to how well the general layout and theming works.

Other than that, we mainly need testers, coders and file writers (the first and last being mainly to try and break things, with the middle ones helping fix it). Unfortunately I'm okay with ideas and coding, but not so good with the project management, so any suggestions are greatly appreciated :)

[edit] Interestingly, although that file isn't readable in Notepad or Wordpad, it does seem to work fine in WarFoundry for me (not that I can read Russian, but I mean they obviously aren't showing Cyrillic characters). I'll investigate more...

[edit2] I've just committed the Russian translation after a little bit of work. Basically, Google Chrome would render it correctly, even in "view source" mode, so I opened the file in gEdit (a Linux text editor), pasted in what Chrome showed as the source with Cyrillic characters, set it to UTF-8, tested it in Windows and it worked. The wonderful irony of Microsoft is that Notepad will now show it complete with Cyrillic characters, but the more 'advanced' Wordpad chokes and shows gibberish :D

Please check out the translation I committed and see if you can edit that with Notepad. If not then there are a few free Unicode/UTF-8 editors like EditPad Lite that I just had a quick hunt for and found - perhaps one of those will work better. I did notice that you still had two English strings in there, so if you need any help just shout.
Out now: Dawn of War Texture/Skin Downloads
At v0.1: WarFoundry (open source, cross-platform, multi-system army creation application)

Lord_Archaon
New blood
New blood
Progress to next rank:

18%

Postby Lord_Archaon at 14 Dec 2009, 13:52

The irony is that i downloaded your correction and it isn't working for me and neither the SE version. Maybe Windows causing it? Do you use Linux when testing translation files? :)
I'm a bit busy right now (going to pick up my Vampire Counts spearhead from another town) and i can't check that file with EditPad. When i'll get home i'll try to modify it.
About those two lines in english, i thought not to translate them. The are better in english then in russian, for example you don't have an english word for pizza, you use the italian word. ;)
P.S. i'll think about the logo and see with what i'll come up with.

IBBoard
Administrator, Commissar
Administrator
Commissar
Progress to next rank:

38%

Postby IBBoard at 14 Dec 2009, 19:27

Nope, I've been testing in a Windows XP VM, running WarFoundry from a built EXE and editing the files in Notepad. The original 'fix' to proper Cyrillic characters and UTF-8 was done using Linux (Chromium and gEdit) but all of my WinForms work is in Windows. What happens when they don't work, and what don't they work in? Is it that the app shows non-Cyrillic characters or that they don't save correctly? Rather than clogging up this thread I think we might need to move it to its own thread so I can diagnose the issue.

As for the untranslated lines, if that's the best then leave it as it is (or suggest something that makes more sense in English - it makes sense to me, but that doesn't mean it makes sense to users :D). I just thought it might be something that you didn't understand the intent of and so couldn't translate properly.

Our list of suggestions on what people can do is on the Get Involved page. If you want to do any of the documentation (user guide, file developer guide, etc) or anything else that requires editing the wiki then give me a shout and I'll bump your permissions. Snowblizz already has Wiki Editor permissions, and a couple of people have Developer permissions, although I'm basically the only one who ever committed code! If there is anything else you think we need to do to get the project going then feel free to start a topic to suggest and discuss it :)
At v0.1: WarFoundry (open source, cross-platform, multi-system army creation application)

furrie
New blood
New blood
Progress to next rank:

60%

Postby furrie at 20 Dec 2009, 14:45

I far is the dutch translation, If the guy who worked on it quit I could do it.
warhammer fantasy/40K player
the WarFoundry datafile group

IBBoard
Administrator, Commissar
Administrator
Commissar
Progress to next rank:

38%

Postby IBBoard at 20 Dec 2009, 19:30

No-one has even started on a Dutch translation that I know of. You'll be able to see what translations we have at the moment by looking at the committed translations or by looking at the Translate WarFoundry ticket :) So far it is just English, Russian and Swedish.

stfas
Advanced Member
Advanced Member
Progress to next rank:

85%

Postby stfas at 20 Dec 2009, 20:03

well for the swedish translation "export as basic html" is "normal html" but should be "exportera som basisk html" to be exact.

snowblizz
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Progress to next rank:

61%

Postby snowblizz at 20 Dec 2009, 21:43

stfas wrote:well for the swedish translation "export as basic html" is "normal html" but should be "exportera som basisk html" to be exact.

I disagree. Mainly because it makes absolutely no sense. That's why I put "normal". "basisk html" would mean "caustic html" as opposed to "acidic html" ie the chemical meaning of "basic".

The question I didn't bother putting back then is: what is it basic compared to? Should/could it possibly say just "export to HTML"?

IBBoard
Administrator, Commissar
Administrator
Commissar
Progress to next rank:

38%

Postby IBBoard at 21 Dec 2009, 08:39

"Basic" HTML is the standard unstyled HTML. The idea was that the initial exporter was just an example and that a more "complex" HTML export (perhaps with templating and styles) will be added later. "Simple" would be the other way of phrasing it.

Also, I don't know if people are keeping an eye on the translations, but I added a couple more translations yesterday. In a wonderful bit of timing, they're for the HTML export as well ;)

stfas
Advanced Member
Advanced Member
Progress to next rank:

85%

Postby stfas at 24 Dec 2009, 23:34

snowblizz wrote:
stfas wrote:well for the swedish translation "export as basic html" is "normal html" but should be "exportera som basisk html" to be exact.

I disagree. Mainly because it makes absolutely no sense. That's why I put "normal". "basisk html" would mean "caustic html" as opposed to "acidic html" ie the chemical meaning of "basic".

The question I didn't bother putting back then is: what is it basic compared to? Should/could it possibly say just "export to HTML"?

oh, the "basisk" word i didn't really hear of until the day i used a translator for basic (im not entirely good at translating even though im good at both languages, except for more "advanced" words), and "grund-html" sounded wrong somehow, though i guess its a better translation then.

snowblizz
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Progress to next rank:

61%

Postby snowblizz at 25 Dec 2009, 12:57

There's no really good translation in Swedish that conveys the meaning here. Which was why I went with "normal" as the closest thing to "simple, unadorned, basic" I could. I'll have new look at it when I look at the new translations IBBoard said had.

IBBoard
Administrator, Commissar
Administrator
Commissar
Progress to next rank:

38%

Postby IBBoard at 25 Dec 2009, 13:29

Feel free to be flexible with the translations. We're looking for meaningful translations for native speakers that capture the intent rather than perfect translations. Some of my phrasing might work for English (or at least for me!) but I understand if other languages don't translate quite so simply.

Frostlee
Guardsman
Guardsman
Progress to next rank:

20%

Postby Frostlee at 20 Mar 2010, 14:18

hi there! no, i'm not dead as maybe you supposed i was! :D
while i was floating around i managed to complete the italian translation for Warfoundry, up to the beta 6 release!
i used UTF-8 for the encoding, for "à" and "é", but i was forced to use the ô instead of the easy à
anyway it seems to work for me ad i have submitted the file to the ticket #203 .
please note that i suppose there are still some hardwired strings, since the "equip all" in the add equipment is still in english. hope this can help!
PS is there some userbar to be used in forums about warfoundry?

IBBoard
Administrator, Commissar
Administrator
Commissar
Progress to next rank:

38%

Postby IBBoard at 20 Mar 2010, 15:57

Welcome back. I noticed you'd signed up for the dev site - I actually thought you were already registered, but apparently not! Thanks for submitting another translation - 0.1b7 should be out soon, but I don't think I added anything that needs translations :)

If you were using UTF-8 then I'd have thought that the characters should have worked as-is (unless you had some crappy text editor that wasn't actually saving UTF-8). Using the &# instead of the &key will be because the keyed version is for HTML, not XML. & and a select few others will work in XML by default, but the others are extras for HTML.

I thought I'd caught all of the translation strings, so I'll have to investigate for "equip all". Maybe I did miss one.

As for userbars, no, we don't have one yet. I'll set up a topic and throw a few ideas in.

[edit] I'll commit your translation later (nearly time to finish up for tea time) but the "equip all" should be translatable using "rbEquipAll". I thought it was working because I do lower-case text for untranslated and properly capitalised for English, but I'll check.

Frostlee
Guardsman
Guardsman
Progress to next rank:

20%

Postby Frostlee at 20 Mar 2010, 18:25

no, actually i wasn't already registered.
i use programmer's notepad while on winzozz, and what is avaliabe (usually gEdit) on GUN/linux.
if i save the translation file with the "à" then try to start warfoundry it actually cant load it. anyway i google for the UTF-8 key and ended up with the &# solution, which works well imho. :)
note that i'm not so happy with some of the translation so maybe before the milestone is reached i'll try to find better one!

PS for the userbar i really like the acual logo style, something that follows it would be fine imho! :D

IBBoard
Administrator, Commissar
Administrator
Commissar
Progress to next rank:

38%

Postby IBBoard at 20 Mar 2010, 19:15

gEdit should do fine in Linux - I've moved to Geany now, but still use gEdit on occasion (mainly when I've not remembered to change the setting). Programmer's Notepad looks like it should support it properly as well. I'll have a look now and see what it might be, because we've got the Russian translation using UTF-8 without any problems.

As for the accuracy of the translations, I think some of the others have issues. I've got for what makes sufficient sense in English for the standard text - it might not be perfect English, but most apps go for compactness rather than accuracy. Unfortunately it does seem to cause some problems when translating, so just do whatever makes sense for the locale :)

One similar discussion I read recently was about the "home folder" and its consistent naming - "home" is familiar enough in English for people not to have a problem, but its translation in other languages (Spanish, I think) still carried enough "house" connotations that it wouldn't seem right to those users. The many joys of internationalisation, I guess.

PreviousNext