WarFoundry SnapShot builds

cyberbooster
New blood
New blood
Progress to next rank:

60%

WarFoundry SnapShot builds

Postby cyberbooster at 13 Nov 2011, 22:07

Hi, is there any way to get an already builded version of the current snapshot?

It could be very useful to me in order to keep testing under OsX (and to get the new features!).

IBBoard
Administrator, Commissar
Administrator
Commissar
Progress to next rank:

38%

Re: WarFoundry SnapShot builds

Postby IBBoard at 14 Nov 2011, 19:39

In theory we could put together a build service and have nightly builds done, but I think our server needs more memory for that (which requires and upgrade and more fees, which I don't have), we'd need to find a .Net build service that runs on Linux and we don't often have nightly builds. I've occasionally done Alpha builds (like the single-button UI for WinForms) but nothing else.

Basically, it is a good idea, but unless someone else has a way to host it elsewhere then I don't think we can do it soon. I'll try to get an alpha out soon so that the extensive changes we have so far can be tested, though.
Out now: Dawn of War Texture/Skin Downloads
At v0.1: WarFoundry (open source, cross-platform, multi-system army creation application)

cyberbooster
New blood
New blood
Progress to next rank:

60%

Postby cyberbooster at 14 Nov 2011, 20:07

Something like http://jenkinshosting.com/ ?

IBBoard
Administrator, Commissar
Administrator
Commissar
Progress to next rank:

38%

Postby IBBoard at 14 Nov 2011, 21:02

I've asked for a FOSS account. Lets see how it goes and how much work it is :)

[Edit] And just as I post that, I get the approval email :) I'll see what I can do tomorrow and how much work is needed to make it all build on a proper build service :D
At v0.1: WarFoundry (open source, cross-platform, multi-system army creation application)

cyberbooster
New blood
New blood
Progress to next rank:

60%

Postby cyberbooster at 14 Nov 2011, 21:11

Very good!

IBBoard
Administrator, Commissar
Administrator
Commissar
Progress to next rank:

38%

Postby IBBoard at 15 Nov 2011, 20:39

I've got the username and password, now I just need to get the time to work out how to use it :)

IBBoard
Administrator, Commissar
Administrator
Commissar
Progress to next rank:

38%

Postby IBBoard at 28 Nov 2011, 20:23

In case you don't follow our Twitter account, we now have nightly/snapshot builds. We now build the very latest copy of WarFoundry (WinForms for Windows and Gtk# for Linux/Mac) every night. If the build is successful then it is available as a download. If the build fails then I get an email and have to investigate what went wrong!

So, if you want to test the latest builds (only the main line, known as "default" in Mercurial speak) then check out our nightly builds. If you've got any feedback on a specific build, please report it as a ticket or start a topic in the Testing forum.

clutch110
Standard Member
Standard Member
Progress to next rank:

8%

Postby clutch110 at 29 Nov 2011, 20:01

Congrats on getting the nightly build service going. This is a hallmark of many great projects so new features can be tested by power users before it gets into the hands of everyday users. Many an obscure bug should be captured and found with this feature.

Clutch

IBBoard
Administrator, Commissar
Administrator
Commissar
Progress to next rank:

38%

Postby IBBoard at 29 Nov 2011, 21:05

Thanks - it probably is a very useful tool, but I'd always been focused on writing code and letting people build it if they wanted to help test. Now that we have it, I can see that this will open up early testing to an extra group of people - those willing to run "nightlies" but not willing to faff around trying to build it themselves.

TBH, it's the situation I'd be in for any other project, but I had a blinkered view and thought people would do the self-build for WarFoundry if they wanted it. Kinda silly now I look back!