Briggsy
Standard Member
Standard Member
Progress to next rank:

21%

Skaven Data Files

Postby Briggsy at 06 Jan 2011, 09:04

Hi Guys,

Is it possible to add data files for 8th Edition Skaven? I wasn't sure if it was necessary to raise a ticket for that, so I posted on the forum instead.

Thanks

snowblizz
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Progress to next rank:

61%

Re: Skaven Data Files

Postby snowblizz at 06 Jan 2011, 11:17

Requests for datafiles should be addressed to the datafilegroup email list rather than here or the ticketing system.

We do this as a form of separation of liability. That way GW or others can't shut down the software for something that the users of the program are doing. In other words WarFoundry isn't to blame for the user's actions which may to some degree constitute violations of intellectual property.

I have taken note of the request and I'll keep it in mind when I look at what set of files to concentrate on next. Note that as I'm practically doing this solo there are some limits as to how fast I can get it all done. It also means I need to have access to the armybook in question, of some kind. But I think I can get hold of Skaven someplace.

IBBoard
Administrator, Commissar
Administrator
Commissar
Progress to next rank:

38%

Re: Skaven Data Files

Postby IBBoard at 06 Jan 2011, 13:14

I'll move this to "chat" as it isn't about software testing.

As Snowblizz said, what WarFoundry does isn't illegal in any way - we provide a framework for people to create armies of unspecified races for unspecified game systems - but some companies may take issue with the application because of what people put in the data. I've had the run-in before with GW, and to stop it happening again in a way that might affect WarFoundry itself then we separate the app from the data, and the app is generic enough for anything (in theory).

As always, make sure that you have your own copy of the appropriate codex/army book/other that you have legally purchased, and check the laws in your own country to see whether using summarised formats of data you already own a copy of is legal or not before you download. We take no responsibility for people breaking their own laws ;)
Out now: Dawn of War Texture/Skin Downloads
At v0.1: WarFoundry (open source, cross-platform, multi-system army creation application)