still about the equipment window

Frostlee
Guardsman
Guardsman
Progress to next rank:

20%

still about the equipment window

Postby Frostlee at 10 Sep 2010, 10:09

IBBoard has almost hit v0.1, and i think we are alla fine with that.
anyway before moving on the plan to the v0.2 i whish to share some idea about a better equipment window. well, maybe i'm the only one who don't like the 4-button way. let's have a look how it is now.
you can edit, add or swap equipment one by one.
i want to replace all the 4 button with just one "edit equipment" button. something like this:
few word about how it is supposed to work. when you hit the edit button the equipment window appears (it's on the side of the image, scroll right). it shows all of your current equipment (eventually with cost and numbers) and all the equipment you can take.
when you select some optional equipment you already have taken, the "remove" button become enabled and (with the quantity selection below) you can drop it.
when you select some equipment you don't have, the "add" button allows you to take it in the same way.
when you select both you can swap you equipment (if rules allows you to do it).
whit the exception of the "swap" button, this should be quite simple both to code and to use and allows you to manage equipment whit fewer button clicks. i fear that the "swap" could become a little weird, so any better idea is welcome.
anyway, what do you think?

IBBoard
Administrator, Commissar
Administrator
Commissar
Progress to next rank:

38%

Re: still about the equipment window

Postby IBBoard at 10 Sep 2010, 18:59

I guess that might be a better way of doing things, as it would let you do more with less opening and closing of dialogs. I'd need to put a little bit of thought into when amount changes take effect (perhaps an "Apply" button next to the quantities) but it would give you a good overview of what was available and what wasn't. It might even make the visualisation of the more complex replacements a bit easier as well.

What do the other users think?
Out now: Dawn of War Texture/Skin Downloads
At v0.1: WarFoundry (open source, cross-platform, multi-system army creation application)

snowblizz
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Progress to next rank:

61%

Postby snowblizz at 11 Sep 2010, 10:09

I agree that some thing a bit less cumbersome would be ideal. Eg the equipment windows i no where near large enough to cover the regular, let alone a characters equipment options. Equip-all and single items could have checkbuttons. The other program uses spin-button controls and checkboxes IIRC.

IBBoard
Administrator, Commissar
Administrator
Commissar
Progress to next rank:

38%

Postby IBBoard at 11 Sep 2010, 17:45

Okay, I'll look at something a bit better for v0.2. I did see that the "other app" had a permanent list of equipment with up and down arrows, but as with the rest of the interface then it looked a bit ugly and like you couldn't easily skim it.

Frostlee's mockup seems to give useful information and a quick way of making multiple changes. There was a previous suggestion of categorising equipment as well and tabbing it, so I'll see what we can do with that to help with equipment overload.
Out now: Dawn of War Texture/Skin Downloads
At v0.1: WarFoundry (open source, cross-platform, multi-system army creation application)