New user, questions

BranFlayk
New blood
New blood
Progress to next rank:

2%

New user, questions

Postby BranFlayk at 02 Jul 2010, 11:18

Saw this mentioned on TGN website, and have downloaded V0.1 beta 9 (looking for something easier than AB).

Trying to look at/open ".army" files, but only have "sampleSystem.system" and "empire.race" in the installation. (Have tried to open with various editors but they don't seem to like them)

Saw on another post about xml files to set up stats etc, but can't see anything like that in any directory.

Not sure if I'm doing something wrong...documentation is a bit light :)

IBBoard
Administrator, Commissar
Administrator
Commissar
Progress to next rank:

38%

Re: New user, questions

Postby IBBoard at 02 Jul 2010, 18:45

Sorry about the lack of documentation - I hope the app is easy to pick up, but I do realise that documentation can still help.

.army files are saved armies - your actual rosters. The .system and .race that come with the download are sample data files that you can build an army from. Click "New Army" (either from the File menu or the "new" icon on the toolbar) and you'll get a list of available game systems and races, the option to set the size and give the army a name.

If you want other armies then Snowblizz's Yahoo Group is the best source. Just download the appropriate .system and .race files and copy them to your data folder and the app should pick them up. I do have to give a general notice/disclaimer that you must be aware of your local laws, that some files may be deemed infringing and that we have no control over them, so use them at your own discretion, etc.

As for the lack of XML - it is all there, but it is packed away in Zip files with different extensions. If you want to know more about the files then we've got the File Formats and File Formats Explained pages (although the latter is a little out of date and new features have been added). While looking for those links I did just realise that they could be more prominent, though.

I hope that helps. Feel free to ask if you've got any more questions, or sign up to the dev site and submit tickets if there's anything you find broken or that you think could be improved in some way.
Out now: Dawn of War Texture/Skin Downloads
At v0.1: WarFoundry (open source, cross-platform, multi-system army creation application)