upgradable stats *feature request*

furrie
New blood
New blood
Progress to next rank:

60%

upgradable stats *feature request*

Postby furrie at 10 May 2010, 05:20

I want to put in arena deathmatch from avatars of war, but has far has I know there isn't a way of letting users adjust the stats and that those stats will go up. The adjustments of stats is important for the game.

Cheers,
Furrie
warhammer fantasy/40K player
the WarFoundry datafile group

IBBoard
Administrator, Commissar
Administrator
Commissar
Progress to next rank:

38%

Re: upgradable stats *feature request*

Postby IBBoard at 10 May 2010, 18:47

Just had a quick skim of the PDF. It looks like we should be able to support it (although it is edging a bit more towards RPG than skirmish or full army gaming), but we will need a few tweaks and new features. If you can give more of a "gamer's guide" to how it differs and what it needs on top of the standard stats then it'd be useful so that I have a better idea rather than just relying on my impression from reading the site and things.
Out now: Dawn of War Texture/Skin Downloads
At v0.1: WarFoundry (open source, cross-platform, multi-system army creation application)

snowblizz
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Progress to next rank:

61%

Postby snowblizz at 11 May 2010, 08:44

Modifying stats is also important for Mordheim and Necrounda. And Gorkamorka if any one plays.
Blood Bowl? People still play that.

I suspect other skirmish type games with RPG elements. Also I guess being able to support "campaign" type play. Units getting battle honours and such.

Also could this open for "customization", I think e.g. some mech games allow you to "design" the mech "on the fly". Wh40k doesn't officially use the V-D-R anymore but I'm sure it would be useful at some point.

I don't see this as different from "equipment modifying stats" though. As you can make a "Strength"-equipment choice. Which is how you-know-who did.

Could this work for AoW?

IBBoard
Administrator, Commissar
Administrator
Commissar
Progress to next rank:

38%

Postby IBBoard at 11 May 2010, 11:40

Yeah, that'd be what I'd think - change "equipment" to "options" (at least in the UI) and have a "Strength Upgrade". I'd already considered campaigns and GorkaMorka stat increases, although they'd be in the army files rather than the race files. So far I'd been focussing on the main features, though :)

What we could do is have an extensible set of stat modifiers, starting with one which is an "append" (e.g. add "+1") and one of which is a "replace based on string value" (e.g. "if 5 then show 6, else if 4 then show 5"). Hopefully that'll cover most cases.

All of this is good stuff that needs to be captured for future versions, and probably fits quite well with the use cases idea so that you have a nice and succinct statement such as "If a gamer plays X then they need to be able to do Y to support units of type Z", where X, Y and Z might be "Gorka Morka", "per-individual stat increases within the army" and "all types".
Out now: Dawn of War Texture/Skin Downloads
At v0.1: WarFoundry (open source, cross-platform, multi-system army creation application)