IBBoard
Administrator, Commissar
Administrator
Commissar
Progress to next rank:

38%

Re: WarFoundry user bars

Postby IBBoard at 31 Mar 2010, 11:48

Damnit, I thought I'd put them all up there. I'll have to check tonight as I can't see anything useful from work.
Out now: Dawn of War Texture/Skin Downloads
At v0.1: WarFoundry (open source, cross-platform, multi-system army creation application)

IBBoard
Administrator, Commissar
Administrator
Commissar
Progress to next rank:

38%

Postby IBBoard at 31 Mar 2010, 18:48

Third go - now without the outline on the icon and with the original shading on the bar (which left it as a brighter green). Source file is at http://warfoundry.co.uk/images/userbars/v3/userbar.xcf (it's a Gimp source file).

I've also fixed the old v2 source file link - the file had been uploaded with the wrong name.
At v0.1: WarFoundry (open source, cross-platform, multi-system army creation application)

snowblizz
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Progress to next rank:

61%

Postby snowblizz at 01 Apr 2010, 09:50

Ah so frustrating.

What kind of font did you use, it seems I do not have it at least it is not listed by GMIP when I open the file and apparently I can't make a single change without loosing the correct font.

Not to mention being totally unfamiliar with GIMP.

You are not just a programmer but a wiz with graphics as well.

Is that 350px width some kind of standard anyway? I mean conceptually there's no problems making it wider. Most forums have more than 350px wide sigs anyway.

IBBoard
Administrator, Commissar
Administrator
Commissar
Progress to next rank:

38%

Postby IBBoard at 02 Apr 2010, 18:16

Sorry, I forgot about the font - it's Visitor 1. I've had it for years and it just works well on userbars.

They're not that fantastic - I threw them together quite quickly with some very simple effects. What I think helps is that I've picked up a few quite simple techniques that make things look quite good, so while I don't have great skill at picking colours or drawing, I can at least get an effect that looks good.

As for the width, 350px just seems to be the standard size for user bars. It isn't a requirement so much as a convention that developed.

Previous