People not finding the datafiles?!?

snowblizz
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Progress to next rank:

61%

People not finding the datafiles?!?

Postby snowblizz at 03 Mar 2010, 20:45

Been chatting back and forth over on TWF, generally shamelessly butting in anytime someone talks about armylist creation programs.

Something that came up though was one guy saying that they only got the "sample system" to play with. Either they don't qite get how things has to be done and/or the datafile group isn't visible enoguh on the main page?

furrie
New blood
New blood
Progress to next rank:

60%

Re: People not finding the datafiles?!?

Postby furrie at 04 Mar 2010, 10:23

I think its also the part that you need to be a member of the group to see the files.
warhammer fantasy/40K player
the WarFoundry datafile group

snowblizz
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Progress to next rank:

61%

Postby snowblizz at 04 Mar 2010, 10:42

Indeed, a possibility. I thought I had a link to the TWF thread though. Was some interesting things there I thought might be interesting.

IBBoard
Administrator, Commissar
Administrator
Commissar
Progress to next rank:

38%

Postby IBBoard at 04 Mar 2010, 12:58

Any feedback like that is good. Well, not good if they're saying they can't find things, but good that we get feedback to know how to improve :)

Given my previous run-in with GW Legal, I didn't want to link to specific files directly (although Lone Wolf Dev get away with it) but I hoped the link from the "downloads" page was enough. If people have any ideas for improving that page (or any other, or the navigation in general) then please yell. I can come up with what I think makes sense, but I know what I designed, so external input is useful :)

Also, any input on the UI and what features are still outstanding for a usable "core" (create units, add equipment, save, load and export, but not 'advanced' value checking) would be greatly appreciated ;)
Out now: Dawn of War Texture/Skin Downloads
At v0.1: WarFoundry (open source, cross-platform, multi-system army creation application)

IBBoard
Administrator, Commissar
Administrator
Commissar
Progress to next rank:

38%

Postby IBBoard at 05 Mar 2010, 19:46

The Yahoo group now has its own section in the list to make it more obvious. It was already at the bottom of the paragraph before the list anyway, but hopefully people can at least find the Yahoo group now. From there it is up to Snowblizz whether he puts a nice clear message on the front page or just opens up files so that anyone can download (assuming Yahoo are sensible enough to have a "guest download, member upload" option).
Out now: Dawn of War Texture/Skin Downloads
At v0.1: WarFoundry (open source, cross-platform, multi-system army creation application)

snowblizz
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Progress to next rank:

61%

Postby snowblizz at 05 Mar 2010, 23:12

You have to be a member to download files. That's the most open it gets.

The only other thing to do is to allow anyone to join. But I'm not sure I want that. The difference AFAICT is that it is more work for me this way. Ie I ahve to approve people. Of course I *think* if its open to anyone you'll get immediate access to the filesection, so it is easier. But then again I have to lock it so only mods can upload files.

It IS an extra unnecessary step in the process. But to protect us from all kinds of **** it is unfortunately necessary. Everyone does so anyway nowadays, pretty much no place allows auto registration due to bots so people should be used to it.

I posted this because one person was saying "WarFoundry looks good but I could only use it for a few Empire units". Took me by surprise.