WarFoundry data file hosting?

snowblizz
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Progress to next rank:

61%

WarFoundry data file hosting?

Postby snowblizz at 26 Nov 2009, 21:11

IBBoard wrote:It would be great it we could get some data files, but I'm not quite sure on where the legal line sits. Rollcall files were cut back, but Army Builder files seem far more comprehensive than I was allowed by GW legal. I doubt the authors have a license (GW doesn't seem to like that idea), but they are hosted on a third-party site.

What may be best is if the main WarFoundry site hosts some example data files and then links off to a third-party site (e.g. a Yahoo group) that is community controlled. We wouldn't, of course, be able to do anything about files attached to bug reports for the purposes of debugging, since it may be something specific to that file that is causing the issue :)

Ooops... I was too quick then. Sorry. As you say having a third part site would at least "take the heat" of WF.
I think the key here is not having any "rules" and not charging any money, not even donations. So keep it up until they complains? As the datafiles doesn't validate and doesn't do anything else than count points we should be okay. We could call it "testing", just randomly happened to have some names in it. That was the idea for it anyway.

Edit: We now have a Yahoo group. Just in case. :wink:
http://games.groups.yahoo.com/group/WarFoundryAB/

IBBoard
Administrator, Commissar
Administrator
Commissar
Progress to next rank:

38%

Re: WarFoundry data file hosting?

Postby IBBoard at 27 Nov 2009, 12:50

I'm happy with a Yahoo group if I don't have to have anything to do with it. Limiting the amount of validation and keeping rules to just names should generally be okay, but a separation between the program and the data file hosting would be good. After all, if the app is sufficiently flexible to handle any and all game systems then it isn't our (the developer's) fault if people make infringing data files as we also give them the option not to :)
Out now: Dawn of War Texture/Skin Downloads
At v0.1: WarFoundry (open source, cross-platform, multi-system army creation application)

IBBoard
Administrator, Commissar
Administrator
Commissar
Progress to next rank:

38%

Re: WarFoundry data file hosting?

Postby IBBoard at 29 Nov 2009, 20:30

The Yahoo Group is now listed on the WarFoundry download page. Also, I'll split this out of the beta 5 thread.
Out now: Dawn of War Texture/Skin Downloads
At v0.1: WarFoundry (open source, cross-platform, multi-system army creation application)