Want to beta test on Linux or Mac?

furrie
New blood
New blood
Progress to next rank:

60%

Re: Want to beta test on Linux or Mac?

Postby furrie at 11 Jan 2010, 18:52

I've got no more errors, but I can't seem to find the compiled program. There is no bin folder. I don't know if I have to do anything else
warhammer fantasy/40K player
the WarFoundry datafile group

IBBoard
Administrator, Commissar
Administrator
Commissar
Progress to next rank:

38%

Postby IBBoard at 11 Jan 2010, 19:48

The normal setup for MonoDevelop is to put the "bin" folder inside the project (although I'm on the wrong computer now so I can't check). Does it work if you run it in debug mode using the cog button at the top? If it does then it must be somewhere! Try searching for a .exe file (since Mono is .Net and .Net compiles to .exe because its main target was Windows and Linux/Mac don't actually care all that much about the extension).
Out now: Dawn of War Texture/Skin Downloads
At v0.1: WarFoundry (open source, cross-platform, multi-system army creation application)

furrie
New blood
New blood
Progress to next rank:

60%

Postby furrie at 13 Jan 2010, 19:10

I got it to work on my linux machine, but I can't open the .exe. I don't know if its because I have wine(a kind of windows emulator) installed, but when I run it from monodevelop it opens. The reason it didn't work was because the WarFoundryGTKPref.xml file was missing, so I copied the one from the windows version that I already have and renamed it.

IBBoard
Administrator, Commissar
Administrator
Commissar
Progress to next rank:

38%

Postby IBBoard at 14 Jan 2010, 18:44

If you've got Wine installed then it probably will take priority on EXE files. You can either switchthe default handler to mono (which will be somewhere like /usr/bin/mono) or you can generally right-click and select which of the pre-configured alternatives to use (e.g. HTML files will let you pick a browser or a text editor or anything else you've got installed).

As for the config file, I thought it should copy that over, so I'll have to investigate.
At v0.1: WarFoundry (open source, cross-platform, multi-system army creation application)

furrie
New blood
New blood
Progress to next rank:

60%

Postby furrie at 15 Jan 2010, 20:11

I found some points with the GTK build. The first thing I noticed is you can't choise your gamesystem, if you want to choise a gamesystem you need to edit the config file. And second you can't choise any equipment and the default equipment isn't being loaded. I don't know if it is because I did something wrong with the build or that it is something that still needs to be done. But I can't realy test it on linux in its current state.

IBBoard
Administrator, Commissar
Administrator
Commissar
Progress to next rank:

38%

Postby IBBoard at 16 Jan 2010, 09:58

I'll see what I can do to patch it up. As I said, it has been a while since it was tested and updated since everyone seemed to be interested in the WinForms version. The army creation and game system selection was going to get a rewrite anyway, but I didn't realise that it had stopped working.

[Edit] I've just committed a default preference file, but I'm not having problems with the game system changing. The only thing is that until I update it (ticket 182) the GTK# UI is still using the old "change game system" and "create army" options rather than the combined "create army from any game system" version that WinForms moved over to.

furrie
New blood
New blood
Progress to next rank:

60%

Postby furrie at 24 Jan 2010, 12:29

After the last update (23-01-2010) I got the following error (three times) when tried to compile the GTK version on linux:
The name 'ComboBoxUtils' does not exist in the current contex(CS0103) - file:FrmNewArmy.cs - project IBBoard.WarFoundry.GUI.GTK - lines 27,31 & 35

And there is a conflict with the file IBBoard.GtkSharp.csproj

IBBoard
Administrator, Commissar
Administrator
Commissar
Progress to next rank:

38%

Postby IBBoard at 25 Jan 2010, 19:35

ComboBoxUtils should be an update the the IBBoard.GTKSharp utils project. It should have been added in r143 of the project, and the project should be up at r145 now.

furrie
New blood
New blood
Progress to next rank:

60%

Postby furrie at 01 Feb 2010, 16:39

Got it to work again, I see you can now choose the game system when you make a new army.

IBBoard
Administrator, Commissar
Administrator
Commissar
Progress to next rank:

38%

Postby IBBoard at 01 Feb 2010, 19:29

Yeah, I started to combine it to be like the WinForms UI. Both UIs were identical at first, then people wanted WinForms focus, then people didn't like the separation of "Change Game System" from "Create an army" so the WinForms got updated but the GTK didn't.

I do have a bit of bad news, though. Because of the horrors of coding to GTK (if you're a OO programmer you'd understand - they're using a C-like API still, complete with iterator calls and "get selected items" runs to half a dozen lines rather than one call) I'm working on a Qyoto (Qt#) interface. I've got a couple of Qt apps in my Gnome desktop (mainly Qwit for Twitter use) and now that Qt4 can look like native GTK then it is only a minor extra, and as long as the app isn't using KDE libraries (which it doesn't have to as Qt is independent of KDE) then it is theoretically cross-platform as well.

Not that I've got much of that done yet, but even when I started it then the GTK# work was just so horribly slow because of the decrepit old-style API that I decided to look for alternatives :)

furrie
New blood
New blood
Progress to next rank:

60%

Postby furrie at 03 Feb 2010, 08:41

Where can I get the files for Qt# ?

IBBoard
Administrator, Commissar
Administrator
Commissar
Progress to next rank:

38%

Postby IBBoard at 04 Feb 2010, 19:38

Depends on your distro. Most seem to call them either "qyoto" or "mono-qt" or similar. openSUSE 11.2 actually has "mono-qt" as the Mono stuff and "libqyoto-shared" as the library that links the Mono stuff to the normal Qt stuff.

Based on your screenshots I'd guess you're using a version of Ubuntu. If that's the case then it looks like you're looking for libqyoto4.4-cli.

IBBoard
Administrator, Commissar
Administrator
Commissar
Progress to next rank:

38%

Postby IBBoard at 02 Apr 2010, 19:50

Just a warning to Linux/Mac users: beta 7 may look a bit ugly. I've just tested it out on my openSUSE system (using Sonar as my GTK theme) and the main controls show up in Win95 grey, but the menu and tool strips show up in beige with white text. The tool strip for adding units also hides all of its buttons, so you've got to click the "show more" drop-down to click them. Still usable, but unfortunately not perfect.

HeWhoWatches
New blood
New blood
Progress to next rank:

18%

Postby HeWhoWatches at 25 Jul 2010, 11:04

Hi, I've just finishing compiling both the WinForms and GTK# versions of the GUI under Fedora 13 using MonoDevelop, and I have a quick query...

It all seems to work except for one thing... When I load the GUI and start a new army, the game system drop down is empty - this occurs using either the WinForms or the GTK# GUI.

Is this by design or have I missed something? This is my first time at compiling WarFoundry, as I'm interested in testing and possibly helping out if there's anything useful I can do...

Also, I was tempted to do a screencast showing how to get WarFoundry compiled under Fedora - would this be useful at all?

Many thanks in advance,

Rob

IBBoard
Administrator, Commissar
Administrator
Commissar
Progress to next rank:

38%

Postby IBBoard at 25 Jul 2010, 14:32

It probably is intentional, but we could probably do to make it a bit clearer what to do about it. The app will look for a "data" folder in its install directory and load data from there (it can work with lots of directories and will eventually support per-user directories, but that's what we have as a default for now). If it can't find anything then it'll just show you an empty list. Try snagging the sample data files as a starter, or some of the full files from Snowblizz's Yahoo group to get working with.

As for a screencast, yeah, it'd probably help newbies. Once you're familiar with SVN and MonoDevelop then it's a little less necessary, but anything we can do to help people get started and help out is appreciated :)

If you're interested in helping out with coding then please either check the main bug list or the 'papercuts' (similar idea to Ubuntu's papercuts - the little things that shouldn't require too much knowledge of the code base but do help out).

[edit] Oh, and give me a shout with your Trac (dev site) username if you want to contribute more and I'll bump your privileges and add a Subversion account for you.

PreviousNext