Which environment/desktop?

Which Operating System/GUI toolkit do you want WarFoundry for?

Windows (WinForms)
67%
Linux (GTK#)
No votes
Linux (Qt#/Qyoto)
No votes
Linux (Either toolkit)
33%
Mac OS X (Cocoa#)
No votes

Total votes : 3

IBBoard
Administrator, Commissar
Administrator
Commissar
Progress to next rank:

38%

Which environment/desktop?

Postby IBBoard at 05 Sep 2009, 19:01

As WarFoundry v0.1 "Cry Havoc" approaches release, I was wondering where the focus should lie. I can guess, but I thought I'd check with the people here to make sure :)

I'm investigating a Qt# interface in my tinkering time this evening because last night's GTK# development was an absolute PITA. GTK+ is written for C, and GTK# is what you could call a "thin wrapper" around GTK+ (i.e. they've basically changed as little as possible and lots of it either has cryptic ways of getting at what you need or could do with a convenience method for the common stuff). Qt is bound to C++, so hopefully the Qyoto bindings will be nicer to work with. It's also a Qt4 binding, so it'll blend in with GTK apps in a Gnome desktop :)

I've also included Cocoa# for any Mac users, in case there are any, but I've not got a Mac development environment to help out there. I do have an old iBook G4, but it's still on OS X 10.3 and so Mono (and several other apps) don't support it any more. I would update to 10.5 but it'd need more memory and I don't have the money for either upgrade.
Out now: Dawn of War Texture/Skin Downloads
At v0.1: WarFoundry (open source, cross-platform, multi-system army creation application)

Frostlee
Guardsman
Guardsman
Progress to next rank:

20%

Re: Which environment/desktop?

Postby Frostlee at 06 Sep 2009, 16:05

well, i voted for winzozz, 'cause (sadly) is the OS i use most.
on second choice of course i choose linux (either toolkit) since is my favourite and i think its quite diffuse nowadays.
anyway if you relase them both, i'll test them both, of course!

IBBoard
Administrator, Commissar
Administrator
Commissar
Progress to next rank:

38%

Re: Which environment/desktop?

Postby IBBoard at 06 Sep 2009, 17:02

Both of them will be released, and I expect people will want the focus on WinForms. It's just that I use Linux day-to-day, so my focus is quite often the GTK# front-end at the moment. It might change to Qt# if I can get Qyotodevelop (a Qt#/Qyoto plugin for MonoDevelop) working properly!
Out now: Dawn of War Texture/Skin Downloads
At v0.1: WarFoundry (open source, cross-platform, multi-system army creation application)