Recruiting...

snowblizz
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Progress to next rank:

61%

Recruiting...

Postby snowblizz at 20 Aug 2009, 18:55

I got in touch with Benny from Armyroster.com about somekind of cooperation.

My thinking was that these projects could well benefit from each other. Benny's site needs an armybuilder of somekind as after GW's intervention he has to adopt the same model that Wolflair uses, while Wafoudnry could use more active programmers. Win-win in my book! He'll be looking around and seeing if there's anything he likes. I told him to get in touch with you IBBoard as I suspect I'm not the best at answering any complicated questions. Besides so far it really is your show!

IBBoard
Administrator, Commissar
Administrator
Commissar
Progress to next rank:

38%

Re: Recruiting...

Postby IBBoard at 21 Aug 2009, 19:13

Thanks for the recruiting drive :) I've had some contact from the guy behind ArmyCalc as well (which is web-based, but with work on a GUI).

When I first planned WarFoundry there didn't seem to be any other alternative army creation apps, but now there seem to be quite a few that have popped up :D If only I was still a student without any real commitments then I might have been able to get something out the door sooner, but as it is I never have as much time as I'd like. I don't suppose someone feels like paying me enough to support me, my wife and kid as well as a mortgage so that I can work on WarFoundry full time, do they? ;)

I've got a PM from Benny, so I'll reply to that and see how we can cooperate for best benefit.

In terms of recruiting people, more developers would always be good. There are about three other people with developer access now, but only Gregmita committed anything (a little quick fix copied from the GTK app IIRC, because the WinForms app was out of date compared to the back-end).

The next type of people who'd need to be "recruited" will be testers. I don't know if you've been watching the commit messages and my DevLog, but I'd started work on file saving, so it'll soon be more usable in the long term :)
Out now: Dawn of War Texture/Skin Downloads
At v0.1: WarFoundry (open source, cross-platform, multi-system army creation application)

snowblizz
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Progress to next rank:

61%

Postby snowblizz at 22 Aug 2009, 15:09

Haven't been reading up much, no. I'm sorta waiting for the 0.1 so I can get cracking on datafiles or whatnot really.
Though I've been toying with having a look at the code. All "C" languages are somewhat familiar right?

Actually got back from a ~10 day trip to the US, a science conference and some R&R with a bunch of Warhammer players in Illinois.

Oh if only! For some reason playing WH doesn't lead to huge economic independence. Dunno, maybe Google feels like supporting some OSS? Summer of Code and all that.

IBBoard
Administrator, Commissar
Administrator
Commissar
Progress to next rank:

38%

Postby IBBoard at 22 Aug 2009, 17:38

WarFoundry is written in C#, which is a bit of a cross between C++ (Microsoft wanted to keep the old coders on-board) and Java (because it is a "higher level" language where you don't have to worry about memory allocation and pointers).

As for v0.1, it's definitely getting closer. Based on tickets for the milestone we're still only about two-thirds of the way there, but the core functionality is almost done and once I get it to load saved armies then it'll be usable at a very basic level :)

I do occasionally wish I worked for Google, or someone with similar ideas. It'd be quite nice to have one day a week paid to work on OSS projects :D
Out now: Dawn of War Texture/Skin Downloads
At v0.1: WarFoundry (open source, cross-platform, multi-system army creation application)