IBBoard
Administrator, Commissar
Administrator
Commissar
Progress to next rank:

38%

WarFoundry development site

Postby IBBoard at 03 Feb 2009, 18:58

The WarFoundry development site, complete with fully LGPLed source code (except the Windows version, which needs updating with headers and license files) has been online for a while now and is in use (by me at least).

I've added a few plugins to a standard Trac install so that you can now register your own account and submit tickets for bugs (which won't be until it is released for most people) or feature requests. There are already a number of ideas in there, but more are welcome.

Anyone can check out the source code anonymously, but if you want to commit changes then you'll need to contact me so that I can set up a username and password for you.

If anyone has any problems or suggestions, just give me a shout.
Out now: Dawn of War Texture/Skin Downloads
At v0.1: WarFoundry (open source, cross-platform, multi-system army creation application)

IBBoard
Administrator, Commissar
Administrator
Commissar
Progress to next rank:

38%

Re: WarFoundry development site

Postby IBBoard at 26 Feb 2009, 13:00

The Windows source still needs the GPL headers adding, but the site has now been re-themed to match the main site. There's still a bit of tweaking I want to do to the links in the header, but overall it's there and working.
At v0.1: WarFoundry (open source, cross-platform, multi-system army creation application)

gregmita
New blood
New blood
Progress to next rank:

14%

Postby gregmita at 27 Feb 2009, 20:47

Hi, I'm glad this project is still going. :)
Does the SVN server work right now? I can't seem to be able to connect to the server as linked on the website. (svn://svn.ibboard.co.uk/warfoundry/)

BTW, is there also a data editor in the works, for entering the army list data with an UI rather than creating it in a text editor?

IBBoard
Administrator, Commissar
Administrator
Commissar
Progress to next rank:

38%

Postby IBBoard at 28 Feb 2009, 14:41

Yeah, it's still going, I just either need some other developers or I need to win the lottery so that I don't have to work at my job any more :)

SVN seems to be working for me at the moment. What client are you using to connect to it, and what error are you getting?

As for a data editor, there isn't one at the moment (my focus is on the client) but it was always the intention to have one because it's something that Rollcall was missing.

gregmita
New blood
New blood
Progress to next rank:

14%

Postby gregmita at 01 Mar 2009, 00:14

Interesting... It might have been the firewall at work - I got the code successfully via TortoiseSVN at home. I shouldn't be looking at this stuff at work anyways. :)

I'm perfectly willing to help you with this, either coding or data entry/user testing. I can work on the Windows side of coding (VS2005) and I'm fairly familiar with the whole Visual Studio line of products from work.

Is there a developer's setup guide? I think that might be one of the big obstacles for anyone new to come and work on this - it took me a while to find the IBBoard utilities code that's necessary to build the projects in the first place. As far as I can tell the SVN directory for those is not linked anywhere.

I can help with the data editor. I've used the editor from the Forge extensively and put the 5th edition Space Marine codex in that format, and I've found that thing horrible to use. I've got some ideas on what kind of UI could be useful for an application like that and I just need some time to put it in some sort of document.

IBBoard
Administrator, Commissar
Administrator
Commissar
Progress to next rank:

38%

Postby IBBoard at 01 Mar 2009, 09:36

SVN does use a non-standard port, so I wouldn't be surprised if the works firewall had blocked it. Our work one is even more strict and won't let us access SVN over HTTP because it uses custom commands and not just the normal HTTP POST and GET.

With regards documentation, I did think that if people were going to start helping out then I might need to document a few bits, which is why I started the development documentation section the other day. I'll write up some instructions on what you need etc today.

Once you've had a look at the code (and probably shuddered at how horrible some parts of it are!), then if you want access just drop me a message and I'll add you to Trac and Subversion.

[edit] Actually, I've just remembered that you can sign up to Trac yourself. Once you've done that I'll get you added to Subversion as well, if you want.

gregmita
New blood
New blood
Progress to next rank:

14%

Postby gregmita at 03 Mar 2009, 03:21

Thanks for the setup info. The stuff about dependencies was especially helpful. When I start Warfoundry now, it seem to want "translation.dtd" which is not to be found anywhere. Do you know what that is supposed to be?

BTW, what screen resolution do you use? When I load the Warfoundry windows forms, they seem to automatically resize to much smaller than they were.

IBBoard
Administrator, Commissar
Administrator
Commissar
Progress to next rank:

38%

Postby IBBoard at 03 Mar 2009, 13:45

I'm glad it's useful. If there's anything that could be clarified then feel free to improve it once you get sufficient access (sometimes I'm a bit long-winded to make sure there's no ambiguity, but just end up clouding the matter).

Translation.dtd is part of the IBBoard project. I've got to check and make sure that files like that are copied correctly (or them not being there is handled better) but it's currently just sat as a ticket (#4, plus #5 is related). You should just need to copy the file to the "dtds" folder in the run directory (bin/Debug or bin/Release)

My main screen resolution is 1280x1024, but I run Windows as a virtual machine so it's only 1024x768 (I think). Monitors are getting bigger, and 1280x1024 is more common than it was, but I don't think we should rule out people with 1024x768. It seems odd if the windows down-size, though. Probably something to add as a ticket for investigation (and perhaps another ticket for remembering screen size in the preferences).

gregmita
New blood
New blood
Progress to next rank:

14%

Postby gregmita at 03 Mar 2009, 23:13

Maybe something can be added to talk about what you need to include in the solution file? The current code is all in individual projects and needs to be put into one solution by the user.

Sorry, maybe I didn't make myself clear about the window size. I meant that they resized when they were loaded and opened in the IDE. This immediately caused the source files to be dirtied. I have no idea why that happens.

IBBoard
Administrator, Commissar
Administrator
Commissar
Progress to next rank:

38%

Postby IBBoard at 04 Mar 2009, 13:09

The list of projects and dependencies basically determines what you need in your solution, but I'll try to make that clearer. I didn't bother committing a solution file because not everyone will want the exact same setup (e.g. I have the Rollcall plugin included, but once it isn't hard-coded in to the GTK# app it won't be necessary). There's also the issue that people might expect that checking out the SLN project gets them everything they need, which it won't as it won't check out dependencies.

As for the windows being resized in the IDE, I think I've experienced something like that before (opening a form dirties it, even though you've not changed anything) but I never worked out what it actually changed to trigger it. I'd check whether it actually changes anything enough to cause a difference between the local and SVN copies of the file, and if it does then you could try opening code view unless you're editing the layout, or we could try to track down other people having the same problem.

IBBoard
Administrator, Commissar
Administrator
Commissar
Progress to next rank:

38%

Postby IBBoard at 10 May 2009, 15:59

I've integrated the Dev site a bit more with the main site now. With a bit of jigger hackery and borrowing some code we now have output from our dev site RSS feed on the front page. This should hopefully show progress as and when it is made.

I've also re-written the front page to make it less wordy and "history of the app" oriented, so hopefully it is a bit more attention grabbing.