IBBoard
Administrator, Commissar
Administrator
Commissar
Progress to next rank:

38%

Loading Rollcall data in WarFoundry

Postby IBBoard at 29 Jun 2008, 16:11

As mentioned in another thread, work is currently underway as part of the "improved loading of data files that can load from multiple locations in multiple formats" changes to allow WarFoundry to load data files from other applications. The main focus was allowing people to customise the WarFoundry file format (e.g. using binary data instead of XML) but data for other applications is a bonus in the design.

Due to the fact that I've worked with it before and the file formats are simple (INI format rather than XML wrapped in some unknown binary blob that only Army Builder can extract them from) I'll be focussing on Rollcall data loading.

The main limitation I can see in Rollcall is that Rollcall was designed for one game system - old style Warhammer. That isn't a problem, but the fact that it was only designed to run one game system at a time means that it may encounter problems of mixing game systems when used with WarFoundry's multi-path file loading. Unfortunately I can't think of any way around it at the moment other than only including a single directory of Rollcall files in the set of paths to load from.
Out now: Dawn of War Texture/Skin Downloads
At v0.1: WarFoundry (open source, cross-platform, multi-system army creation application)

IBBoard
Administrator, Commissar
Administrator
Commissar
Progress to next rank:

38%

Re: Loading Rollcall data in WarFoundry

Postby IBBoard at 01 Mar 2009, 13:05

The WarFoundry Rollcall plugin is now working quite well and can load most of the core attributes of ADF files.

The multiple locations problem will still occur is people have multiple different folders of ADF files and add them all to WarFoundry's file loading list (e.g. they've got Warhammer and 40K in two separate folders) but there isn't really a way to handle that. All of the ADF files will currently be loaded under a pseudo-Game System called "Rollcall".
Out now: Dawn of War Texture/Skin Downloads
At v0.1: WarFoundry (open source, cross-platform, multi-system army creation application)