adding paint colours to the army painter

bassman04
New blood
New blood
Progress to next rank:

10%

adding paint colours to the army painter

Postby bassman04 at 17 May 2007, 08:47

how do ya do this...and do i need to D/load any tools?

cheers for any help :D

IBBoard
Administrator, Commissar
Administrator
Commissar
Progress to next rank:

38%

RE: adding paint colours to the army painter

Postby IBBoard at 17 May 2007, 18:04

How do you do what? Change the badge or improve the quality of badges?
Out now: Dawn of War Texture/Skin Downloads
At v0.1: WarFoundry (open source, cross-platform, multi-system army creation application)

bassman04
New blood
New blood
Progress to next rank:

10%

Postby bassman04 at 21 May 2007, 08:35

just wanted to add paints to the army painter...do i need any tools?

cheers for helping IBB

IBBoard
Administrator, Commissar
Administrator
Commissar
Progress to next rank:

38%

Postby IBBoard at 21 May 2007, 12:19

If you want to add named colours to the army painter then take a look at the UberPainter mod. There's a file in there (something like army_painter.lua or similar) that specifies the colours in the colour list. It's just a text file so you can open it in Notepad or anything similar.

If you want to add new colour options (so additional selections beyond the existing Primary, Secondary, Trim...) then you need to do some major hacking of the underlying game by modifying one or more DLL files by editing them in a hex-editor. It's definitely not recommended, would be a huge task, would be completely incompatible with any other version, and may not even be possible.

If you want to add painted areas to models in the army painter then you need to read the Skins@HWT Tutorials and get a copy of the DoW Texture Tool

If you need any more help then you'll need to be a bit more specific.

Also, now I've noticed your subject on the post (I normally skip them as they're fairly consistent) I'll break this out into a new thread, since it has little/nothing to do with the original topic.
At v0.1: WarFoundry (open source, cross-platform, multi-system army creation application)

sunray

Re: adding paint colours to the army painter

Postby sunray at 23 Jul 2007, 00:42

IBBoard,

I deserve to be called stupid, but I believed the mod description when it said the original default files were included. I refer to the "New colours for army painter V1.1" mod. I foolishly installed it, and now I have the "(ucs string):no range" message all over everything. I then overwrote the mod files with the default ones provided. And of course, nothing changed.

According to the warnings.log file, there are duplicate strings in the english.ucs file. It is probably doing all the damage. The warning.log says they are in the w40k/locale/English/W40k.ucs file. It says there are two 73022 strings.

Is there any way I can fix this problem without having to re-install the whole game? I should have been content to just stick with the UberPainterDC mod. I guess this is my punishment.

regards

sunray

IBBoard
Administrator, Commissar
Administrator
Commissar
Progress to next rank:

38%

Postby IBBoard at 23 Jul 2007, 05:30

I did suspect that might happen when they seemed to be modifying the main UCS file rather than adding a new one like my mod did.

With the normal structure of DoW then deleting the UCS file should let it revert. Unfortunately with the amount of stuff I extract I'm not sure if there is a copy in an SGA to fall back to. I'll see about checking the SGAs later.

The other alternative is that you hunt around the CD/DVD and see if you can find the UCS file on there (possibly in a zip or CAB file).

This is why good mods don't modify anything in the W40K folder ;)

sunray

Postby sunray at 23 Jul 2007, 11:59

Thanks for getting back to me IBBoard. I take your point, good modders don't change anything in the original game, they make a mod instead. This did cross my mind before I installed it, but I was eager to see what new colours may have been added.

I have a bit of an update. A very strange one. I decided, in my great wisdom (which I have already displayed), to re-install DC. I chose to delete DC, but to keep all the non-game data (mods, save games, maps etc). I then re-installed DC. This fixed the "(ucs string): no range" problem.

Trouble is, now, even with UberPainterDC loaded, the colours in the colour palette are all moved around (not in their normal position), but the names of the colours are not. The names are in their normal spot. And being a person who is what they call "red/green colour blind", I am really guessing which is the right colour I am after (e.g. catachan green for instance).

And on top of that, the first three colours on the left of each line all have the same name. Very wierd.

regards

sunray

IBBoard
Administrator, Commissar
Administrator
Commissar
Progress to next rank:

38%

Postby IBBoard at 23 Jul 2007, 15:27

That's interesting. Three colours named the same sounds like their mod rather than mine. I think I moved the colours compared to their normal locations because I had a much longer list, but it should also have the paints named correctly.

Three colours on each line with the same name sounds like a bit of an error. I had some colours not filling the shape when I tried making the list wider, but that was a hard-coded width issue. Not sure what would duplicate names on all lines, except that the mod you used did use duplicate names.

Perhaps a screenshot would help.

sunray

Postby sunray at 25 Jul 2007, 03:48

IBBoard,

There is nothing wrong with you mod, I have used it very successfully for quite some time, in WA and the new DC version, without any hiccups whatsoever.

Interesting thing is, that the couple of mods I used the "new colours for army painter V1.1" in, are the ones that I am having problems with their army painter. Last night I loaded the alpha version of the Firestorm mod (which I never used the "new colours for army painter V1.1" in. But I do have UberPainterDC nominated as a "required mod" in its module file), and all the colours/colour names were showing in their normal places, where they should be.

regards

sunray

IBBoard
Administrator, Commissar
Administrator
Commissar
Progress to next rank:

38%

Postby IBBoard at 26 Jul 2007, 06:18

Does sound a bit like the Army Painter Colours mod is broken (what with it not being a real mod).

If you're still having problems with some mods that don't require UberPainter then I'm guessing they're defaulting back to the DC version of the files, which sounds like it's still the badly modded version.

Not sure what I can recommend if that is the case, other than copying mod folders and profile folders somewhere else then uninstalling and deleting everything (the whole folder) and re-installing. I always hate recommending such excessive methods, but it seems like this 'modder' may have well and truly messed it up.

stfas
Advanced Member
Advanced Member
Progress to next rank:

85%

Postby stfas at 26 Jul 2007, 08:16

open the .module file, longest down add requiredmod.3 = UberPainterDC

IBBoard
Administrator, Commissar
Administrator
Commissar
Progress to next rank:

38%

Postby IBBoard at 27 Jul 2007, 06:41

1) sunray said he already had the UberPainter as a required mod for most of his mods, so he probably knows how to do it ;)

2) Arbitrary editing of .module files will (potentially, if not definitely) break online play with them.

3) You should add new required mods at the start, otherwise data in lower numbered mods will take priority (which is why the Halved Marines have 1=Objective_Points, 2=WXP/DC and 3=W40K)

pepsi-12k7
New blood
New blood
Progress to next rank:

2%

Postby pepsi-12k7 at 07 Oct 2007, 16:35

if you want all of the citadel colours in the preset colours option with having to keep swaping between the uberpainter and the normal DOW game the download the uberpainter and copy the armycolours.lua and create a folder labeled "Game" in 40k/data and paste the file in your new folder and when you go onto your game you should be able access the colours without swaping to the uber painter mod

IBBoard
Administrator, Commissar
Administrator
Commissar
Progress to next rank:

38%

Postby IBBoard at 07 Oct 2007, 18:24

That's another way of doing it, and it should be fine for online games as well as it is just an art file.

I'd be interested to know how it does with the UCS files that contain the text, since I thought they were loaded based on what mods were loaded.