High res Dawn of War skins?

BlaMMorD

High res Dawn of War skins?

Postby BlaMMorD at 20 Dec 2006, 11:16

Hey, i have noticed some screenshots from Dawn of War and i started to wonder.. How do you guys get all the models and skins to be so sharp! I can never get the models/skins to look just as sharp as they are when your in the Army Painter. Its quite anoying, i have all the settings on MAX in video options, the resolotuion is also on MAX (1280X1024) but i still cant get the textures to look as sharp as they are in the army painter. Do i have to do something speciel or what?

my specs are:
1gb ram, 3500+mhz, 256mb ATI radeon

That should be sufficient.

Would be nice with some help :D

IBBoard
Administrator, Commissar
Administrator
Commissar
Progress to next rank:

38%

RE: High res Dawn of War skins?

Postby IBBoard at 20 Dec 2006, 19:06

It's not guaranteed not to lag a good system (one of the Relic devs recently posted that the Specularity maps lagged his system and he had a good setup) but what you need is the "force high res" setting in your INI file.

Open your local.ini file in the DoW and/or DC directory (any text editor like Notepad should do) and add the following new line:

Code: Select all
fullres_teamcolour=1

Save the file, start up DoW and all textures should be in high res.

Also, a 256MB Radeon covers a wide variety of cards ;) you could potentially have a 256MB 9300 SE, which is really poor compared to a 256MB X800 XT (or higher)

Moving to the skinning forum and re-titling so it's more obvious what the question is from the title (in case other people want to know)
Out now: Dawn of War Texture/Skin Downloads
At v0.1: WarFoundry (open source, cross-platform, multi-system army creation application)

BlaMMorD

Postby BlaMMorD at 20 Dec 2006, 19:50

damn thanks alot, i´ll be trying this right now! The reason i posted it on general chat was because i got the impression the skinning forum was for making skins :D not consulting the originals or video settings hehe

Well thanks very much :)

and oh, yeah i´ll try and be more specific in the future, i have a X800XL card btw ; )

IBBoard
Administrator, Commissar
Administrator
Commissar
Progress to next rank:

38%

Postby IBBoard at 20 Dec 2006, 20:11

It is meant more for making skins, but anything that's skin related also gets in here so people don't think "that one says skins, but it doesn't answer my question" before posting a thread that's identical to one in another forum. There's also the "Sideline Games" forum for general DoW questions (and anything else that isn't Games Workshop's main games but is still Games Workshop).

You wouldn't have been able to post directly in this forum, but you could have posted it in the stickied question thread. New topic posting in this forum is a privilege of a small group of "DoW skinners".

As for the X800XL, that's the same as mine, and IIRC I've got an AMD64 3500+ that's been upgraded to 1GB of RAM, so you should be okay (unless you've got excess background processes, a dodgy motherboard or a slow disk or something) :)
Out now: Dawn of War Texture/Skin Downloads
At v0.1: WarFoundry (open source, cross-platform, multi-system army creation application)

BlaMMorD

Postby BlaMMorD at 20 Dec 2006, 20:31

Hey again

I just checked it out with the command you gave me and the game looks even better now :) it all works!

Thanks alot i´ve been looking for this for quite some time, nice to see a reply that fixes it all in just a couple of hours from the time when i started the thread :D

and lol, your configuration is the exact same as mine :S i also have 3500mhz and 1gb ram :S