How to start skinning? (take 2)

specter007
New blood
New blood
Progress to next rank:

6%

RE: How to start skinning? (take 2)

Postby specter007 at 25 Nov 2006, 18:50

Hey again, this time I do in fact have a skinning issue. Ok I have extracted the origional space marine files from DC using the .sga extractor tool. Then I used a WTP tool so I can actually work with the default, dirt, badge, eyes, etc. I also have Photoshop CS2. I understand where to edit everything its just i don't understand how. As in how do I edit the files in Photoshop, like what do I use?

IBBoard
Administrator, Commissar
Administrator
Commissar
Progress to next rank:

38%

Postby IBBoard at 25 Nov 2006, 19:19

I'm not entirely sure what you mean.

You say you know where to edit everything, but not how. Do you mean you don't know how to move something between layers or remove it from a layer or add it to a layer? Or you don't know how to edit the images? Or what tools people use?

If it's the former, try our DoW Tutorials section. If it's the middle then try the Adobe Photoshop help or the wide variety of online tutorials. If it's the latter then each person has different tools depending on preferences. Depending on how much you know of Photoshop then it may just cause confusion trying to tell you (that's not personal, it's just a general Newbie and advanced technique thing)
Out now: Dawn of War Texture/Skin Downloads
At v0.1: WarFoundry (open source, cross-platform, multi-system army creation application)

MadMaffMan
Nob
Nob
Progress to next rank:

15%

Postby MadMaffMan at 25 Nov 2006, 19:21

Thats very true.....i don't know what i'm doing half the time. :lol:
"No Pity! No Remorse! No Beer!"

specter007
New blood
New blood
Progress to next rank:

6%

Postby specter007 at 26 Nov 2006, 06:30

Ah thanks IBBoard your grand tutorial saved me ( http://skins.hiveworldterra.co.uk/Article/view_15.html ) I finally understood what I was doing and took a little time out with the apothecary .tga files. What I did is I added blood the the apothecary because they are surgeons after all and it'd be a little hard to keep clean =). Anyway here are two of the screenshots i got, if you guys could give me any suggestions, it'd be great:

IBBoard
Administrator, Commissar
Administrator
Commissar
Progress to next rank:

38%

Postby IBBoard at 26 Nov 2006, 08:47

Not sure what I can suggest other than using thumbnails linked to the main images, and compressing the images (they'll at least halve in file size without losing obvious quality quite easily)

For the texture, does the blood overlap the colourable areas? It shouldn't be too visible, as blood would be thin and wouldn't cover all colours too well, but it shouldn't stop because of team colouring. It might do that already, but because you've got a dark colour then I'm not sure.

Other than that I don't know what I could suggest, as it's not the kind of skin I'd ever use. Apothecaries carefully remove gene-seed so there wouldn't be much blood there, and IIRC then Marine blood clots very quickly (even severed limbs, I think) so big splatters like that wouldn't occur from medicine. If they did, the Marines seem more like the type of soldiers who'd keep themselves clean.

Still, if you like it then I'm sure there'll always be other out there who think they need a bit more blood and gore :)

*Splitting off to its own topic*
At v0.1: WarFoundry (open source, cross-platform, multi-system army creation application)

MadMaffMan
Nob
Nob
Progress to next rank:

15%

Postby MadMaffMan at 26 Nov 2006, 11:53

I think they look very good indeed, i have read several novels where the descriptions of battle include Marines loosing limbs in a 'spray of blood' and even 'bleeding out' :?: Maybe some xenos weapons can stop the blood clotting some how. Lot's of the latest novels seem very inconsistant with their details, guess the proof readers are getting lazy.

Now Assault Marines and Assault Termies would look cool covered in someone else's blood, death to the heretic and xenos, shame it wouldn't work on all Chapters though e.g. Blood Angels. :roll:

Try hosting your images here as it's free.

http://imageshack.us/

And there's a straight lined gap in the blood spray on the left hand side of the helmet, caused by the way the skin wraps around the models helmet.
"No Pity! No Remorse! No Beer!"

IBBoard
Administrator, Commissar
Administrator
Commissar
Progress to next rank:

38%

Postby IBBoard at 26 Nov 2006, 15:02

Good catch, didn't notice the straight line gap. IIRC I think it mirrors the helmet texture (which can be a real pain).

As for the more recent novels moving away from the background, yeah, I'd much rather read Ian Watson and Jack Yeovil, the newer ones don't seem to have the substance and style, but that's a topic for another thread :)