Question about Force Commander?

BeliSidhe

Question about Force Commander?

Postby BeliSidhe at 14 Nov 2006, 04:31

Ok is it just because im using Dark Crusade that i cannot use any of the force comander skins or sumthin ? Every time i load one it doesnt show? Anyone else have this problem and know what to do ?

MadMaffMan
Nob
Nob
Progress to next rank:

15%

RE: Question about Force Commander?

Postby MadMaffMan at 14 Nov 2006, 12:45

Yeah i've noticed that as well, the new younger looking DC Force Commander must use a new skin. Maybe it's got something to do with the new wargear upgrade features not working with the old FC skins :?:

I don't mind the new skin but he could use some service studs or scars to make him look a little more like a veteran SM. :wink:
"No Pity! No Remorse! No Beer!"

BeliSidhe

Postby BeliSidhe at 14 Nov 2006, 16:42

I Agree. BTW nice work MadMaff i have looked at pretty much every skin on the site and there well done. I had to go with the Iron Fist space marines tho. Because for some reason the US flag badge i use gets distorted on every space marine but sinve the Iron Fist repositions it to the SM backpack it doesnt distort.

MadMaffMan
Nob
Nob
Progress to next rank:

15%

Postby MadMaffMan at 14 Nov 2006, 18:23

Thanks, sounds like the badge maybe slightly the wrong size and needs resizing?
There are some Military B&B sets on Hanger-8's website, maybe one of those might take your fancy. :?:

IBBoard
Administrator, Commissar
Administrator
Commissar
Progress to next rank:

38%

Postby IBBoard at 15 Nov 2006, 13:41

I think it depends on when you're trying to skin him (in the campaign or in a Skirmish). I've not investigated, but from what I've heard the new wargear (or the wargear menu at the very least) mean that the FC isn't colourable like normal.

What it could be (especially with the uber-gold levels of the new FC) is that the majority of the old skin is overriden by the new additional texture that handles the wargear, and it's just that the wargear is over almost all of the old texture.

He's certainly skinnable, though, as Rhedd has released a few skins for him (replacing the baby face in some of them)

As for the separate issue of distorted badges, it sounds like your badge is suffering from wrapping issues. Because the Marine's shoulder pad is round but the texture is flat then some areas of it have to wrap in strange ways. If you look carefully then a lot of badges that should be perfectly round or straight in some areas aren't because of the curve of the shoulder pad. The only solution is to us a smaller badge that is just a shape rather than some block of image that has to be perfectly shaped to look right.

[edit] Moving to DoW Skinning :)
Out now: Dawn of War Texture/Skin Downloads
At v0.1: WarFoundry (open source, cross-platform, multi-system army creation application)

BeliSidhe

Postby BeliSidhe at 17 Nov 2006, 01:32

The badge im using is from Hangar 8 that is really the only place i have grabbed badges from cause I like the quality of them. And for some reason it must be the badge cause SM and CM are the only units i have noticed that have distorted it to a point of it bieng a blur. Also i DL'd the Force commander skin you recommended I haven't tried it yet tho. Also I just wanna say I luv this site you folks are very helpful and nice. I wish i could understand the skinning and the badge creation but i DL'd GIMP since it was free but it is kind of a confusing program to use.

MadMaffMan
Nob
Nob
Progress to next rank:

15%

Postby MadMaffMan at 17 Nov 2006, 01:52

Trust me if I can get the hang of skinning then anyone can do it. :D

I was lucky enough to be given an old copy of Photoshop 6 by a friend so i didn't have to try free progs like GIMP, don't give up keep your eyes open for a cheap copy of something like PS 6 and you'll be off and running. :wink:

BeliSidhe

Postby BeliSidhe at 17 Nov 2006, 03:27

Thx I have a bunch of ideas i'd like to try but i dunno if i'm gonna be artistic enough to do them hehe, Also i have a question. I don't know how hard this will be but i tried to copy the new colors from the Uber Painter Mod DC 1.0 into my regular DC directory. It got me all the colors but the names didn't go in right for some reason they have a string of numbers instead of the color name like they do in the mod when you run it. I'm refering to the preset colors that the person who made Uber Painter he made all of the citadel colors available i'd kind of like the color names along with the colors for my DC game so far i got the colors but not the names. Any Ideas ?

IBBoard
Administrator, Commissar
Administrator
Commissar
Progress to next rank:

38%

Postby IBBoard at 17 Nov 2006, 08:41

I'd be the one making the UberPainter, and all of the translated text for DoW is in a UCS file under Locale. It might work if you just copy the Locale folder of the Mod to the Locale folder of DC, although I can't remember at the moment and I can't promise anything.
At v0.1: WarFoundry (open source, cross-platform, multi-system army creation application)

BeliSidhe

Postby BeliSidhe at 17 Nov 2006, 15:53

ahhh ok i'll try that, ............. Worked Perfectly thx. Altho i didnt Copy it to the DXP2 becuase there was a folder inside it already labled Locale and it had 4 files inside the english folder so I chenged it to Locale1 then copied the locale from uberpainter over. Then copied the DXP2 files from the old folder and pasted them into the new locale folder from UberPainter.

IBBoard
Administrator, Commissar
Administrator
Commissar
Progress to next rank:

38%

Postby IBBoard at 17 Nov 2006, 23:18

You could have just pasted the UberPainter.ucs file from the UberPainter locale to the DXP locale (since each folder has different named files and there wouldn't have been any clashes when you just pasted it) but never mind, you got it working :)

AFAIK it shouldn't cause any failed synchs when using it in online games, but I can't guarantee it when it's not as the mod.

MadMaffMan
Nob
Nob
Progress to next rank:

15%

Postby MadMaffMan at 18 Nov 2006, 13:24

Just a thought but how many years service to the Chapter does each service stud represent, do they have to be on the same side all the time and do the colours of the studs make any difference, i have seen artwork before where the studs were a golden colour.

I only ask because i've been thinking about the new FC skin. :wink:

IBBoard
Administrator, Commissar
Administrator
Commissar
Progress to next rank:

38%

Postby IBBoard at 18 Nov 2006, 16:02

I could be wrong, but I think each stud is a century. As for colour, I've never heard anything about a difference (it could just depend on how flashy the Marine wants to look and whether gold or grey metal looks best with them) but there might be differences there.

As for sides, I think they're always shown on the same side, although again I haven't read anywhere that says they can't be. It might be more of a "they are normally" convention than a "they have to be" rule, but it'd probably be best to stick to a single side :)

Sounds like an interesting skin - the little details are always the bits that just add that little bit of perfection :)

BeliSidhe

Postby BeliSidhe at 18 Nov 2006, 23:33

I agree with yah IBBOARD ... also i didn't have any problems with the Online game doing the file paste works like a champ once again thx a ton. Also i have a question Warhammer tabletop isnt very easy to find up here in new england so I was wondering is it Taboo to have the Badge on the SM backpack.. I like warhammer 40K alot but unfortunatley im not into it enough to be a purist. Reason i ask is im still having the warping issue, Could it be because i have to run low Graphics settings on my pc since my processor is only a 1.8 gig and my Vid card is a hair behind the DC standards ?

IBBoard
Administrator, Commissar
Administrator
Commissar
Progress to next rank:

38%

Postby IBBoard at 19 Nov 2006, 18:37

Warping's nothing to do with graphics settings, it's to do with the texture itself. Put any square shape on a curved object and you'll have to fold and warp it to get it to fit.

As for badges on backpages, it's not specifically tabooed that I know of, but it's certainly Marine standard to put the badge on the shoulder pad.

Next