How do I view extra units in the Army Painter? UberPainter!

Brother-Raven

RE: How do I view extra units in the Army Painter? UberPainter!

Postby Brother-Raven at 23 Jun 2006, 16:38

Units in Army Painter:

When Making a scheme for the Space marines, the only units i can preview the Scheme on is the Predator and Space Marine Squad, is there any way (Prefereably with as little work as possible, i am new to the game and editing said game afterall) that i can preview it on more units like The Sergeant, Dreadnought etc etc?

I've looked as best as i can but have yet to find anything that could specifically help.

Thanks

IBBoard
Administrator, Commissar
Administrator
Commissar
Progress to next rank:

38%

Postby IBBoard at 23 Jun 2006, 16:41

If you're just wanting to view them (as opposed to learning how to mod them) then I've already done all of the work :) What you'll need is the UberPainter mod and/or the UberPainter WA mod. If you make any .teamcolour files with the mod running, you'll need to check out the link at the bottom of the download pages :)

*splits topic*
Out now: Dawn of War Texture/Skin Downloads
At v0.1: WarFoundry (open source, cross-platform, multi-system army creation application)

sunray

Postby sunray at 02 Jul 2006, 21:21

Hi,

Here I am again. This is related to the Army Painter. And I what I am about to say is not consistant with fluff. But, I have been thinking that the Imperial Guard helmet does not give much latitude for customisation. The only choice you get is what colour you want the imperial eagle to be.

There is so much that could be displayed on the their helmet. Like their regimental emblem, a coloured stripe (colour of your choice) up the middle, or perhaps an indication of their rank, or their function (medic etc).

I believe, currently, even with the UberPainterWA (which I always add into the module file of every mod that I install. Because it's a must have), the helmet colour is linked to another paintable area of the unit. So if you want to display a different colour you must have both the same colour.

So, to sum up, the first part of my request is that I would like to see the helmet as a different selectable colour.

The second thing I would like to see is a much greater variety of objects made available to put on the IG helmets.

Does this provide any food for thought, or have I just put my own foot in my mouth? Or am I the only one who really cares about the IG helmet anyway?

regards

sunray
:) :)

IBBoard
Administrator, Commissar
Administrator
Commissar
Progress to next rank:

38%

Postby IBBoard at 03 Jul 2006, 11:55

It'd be possible to make a new skin that changes the team colourable areas of the Guardsman's helmet or changes the symbols, but it'd apply to all Guardsmen. Regimental symbol would be theoretically possible if you used the Badge, but chances are that the badge would be too big on the helmet area of the texture and would cover half of the face as well. Either that or you'd end up with a tiny and indistinguishable image (see the default 'Cadia' symbol on their chest plate - the skull is more just a blob). It'd be best to put things like that in the suggestions thread :)

Going to anything like rank/occupation would require some modding and modelling, rather than just skinning. As it is, though, there isn't much call for anything like that. The only other rank is Sergeant, at which point he doesn't wear a helmet, so you can't put a stripe on it! Someone has made a Medic for one of the mods, though, and given him more white armour.

I'm glad you think it's so indispensable, though :)
At v0.1: WarFoundry (open source, cross-platform, multi-system army creation application)

sunray

Postby sunray at 03 Jul 2006, 21:25

IBBoard,

Thanks for the response. I understand all of the above.

When I mentioned a stripe, I was not talking about a rank insignia, I was talking about a wide coloured stripe running from front to back. But I will not take that any further here. I will transfer that to the suggestions thread.

I guess my main point (the one I care most about) is to have an individual colour selector that changes the helmet only. And I suppose that is a suggestion also.

So thanks for the info. Anyway, I think the UberPainterWA is great. Probably one of the single best things that has happened to DOW/WA. Please keep improving it.

regards

sunray
:) :)

IBBoard
Administrator, Commissar
Administrator
Commissar
Progress to next rank:

38%

Postby IBBoard at 04 Jul 2006, 09:43

Not much I can improve, unless you have any suggestions :) It'll get the DC races when they come out, but other than that it's pretty much complete.

Colour selecting for helmets would be possible, but you'd have to use one of the five existing colours, which would mean you wouldn't be able to use it elsewhere. It ends up hitting the problem that Relic found that caused them to make the colour of the Space Marine eyes fixed - you never have enough colours and so something ends up sharing with something else that you'd rather it didn't share with (e.g. weapon covered bolter and tactical arrow, so you either had odd-looking tac arrow or the bolter etc wasn't the right colour)