What do RSH files do?

fneep

RE: What do RSH files do?

Postby fneep at 14 Jun 2006, 10:22

Hi everyone. I am doing some reskins and totally new skins for my mod, Mineworks.

I have figured out about WTPs and RTXs but what do RSHs actually do?
Are they just the thing that max used to relate a texture to a model? Do the Textures is RSHs ever show up ingame?

IBBoard
Administrator, Commissar
Administrator
Commissar
Progress to next rank:

38%

Postby IBBoard at 14 Jun 2006, 11:34

RSH files are used in a few situations:

1) When there are no WTP files (team-colouring on) or RTX files (team-colouring off/campaign)
2) When you don't specify a team colouring to use in a campaign (e.g. the orignal DoW campaign used the RSH where as WA uses the RTX)
3) When you do something to screw up the WTP and it doesn't recognise it (like some of the hex-edits I did that broke the files :D)

Basically, RSH is the base texture. The WHM (the model) points to the RSH and the RSH controls what happens from there. If you're playing a skirmish then the RSH will normally try to find a WTP of a matching name with "_default" on the end. If it finds one, it uses it, if it doesn't then it shows the RSH texture. If you don't have an RSH file then the WHM is pointing to nothing and ends up showing a bright pink model (but not the Pink Box of Doom).

Hopefully that makes sense :) Now to split it off to a topic.
Out now: Dawn of War Texture/Skin Downloads
At v0.1: WarFoundry (open source, cross-platform, multi-system army creation application)

fneep

Postby fneep at 16 Jun 2006, 06:21

Cool ;) Thanks for the info.

IBBoard
Administrator, Commissar
Administrator
Commissar
Progress to next rank:

38%

Postby IBBoard at 16 Jun 2006, 08:05

No problem :) Once I get the next version of the texture tool working (I'm still having some problems with hand-coded TGA->DDS conversion, which I'm putting in to stop it requiring other dependancies) then I'll hopefully have an artical going in to more detail on it :)
At v0.1: WarFoundry (open source, cross-platform, multi-system army creation application)

fneep

Postby fneep at 30 Jun 2006, 10:42

Hi again IB. I have been using your texture tool to get RSHs out to DDS. The trouble is that those DDSs are broken. They dont work with my DDS converter or The Gimps DDS plugin (I dont have Photoshop) but RSHs extracted with Spookys tool do work. Any suggestions?

IBBoard
Administrator, Commissar
Administrator
Commissar
Progress to next rank:

38%

Postby IBBoard at 30 Jun 2006, 22:07

Any specifics on which ones? I know some of them have issues, and I've got them fixed in the next version (along with some additional features, which are the cause of the failures)

fneep

Postby fneep at 01 Jul 2006, 12:02

Um, all of them...

IBBoard
Administrator, Commissar
Administrator
Commissar
Progress to next rank:

38%

Postby IBBoard at 02 Jul 2006, 20:58

All of them? That's strange :\ unless The GIMP can only handle DXT3 and nothing else (Relic use almost all DXT1 with the odd DXT5) then it should be fine. Photoshop certainly doesn't have any issues with any of them, and I didn't think the DirectX Tool I have did either. I'm not at home at the moment (back Wednesday evening) so I can't check at the moment, but I'll investigate more when I am home.

Sorry for the problems.

fneep

Postby fneep at 03 Jul 2006, 04:17

No. I have been using the DDS converter (second from the bottom here. It supports all forms of DDS and it still doesnt work.

IBBoard
Administrator, Commissar
Administrator
Commissar
Progress to next rank:

38%

Postby IBBoard at 03 Jul 2006, 11:50

Hmmmm, odd. I'll look in to that when I get home (I'll try to look on Thursday). Does it give any specifics, or just a generic "failed"?