Skinning problem with cloned and hex-edited model

sunray

RE: Skinning problem with cloned and hex-edited model

Postby sunray at 11 Jun 2006, 23:51

IBBoard,

I have a problem. I am trying to create an easily recognisable IG hardened veteran squad. I want to utilise the new WW2 camo wtp for the pattern. I have created (by copy/paste/renaming the guardsmen files) new "guardsmin" rsh/whe/whm/rgd files, and renamed the WW2 camo wtp file to ig_guardsmin_default.wtp. I then used a hex editor to edit the guardsmin.whm file to point to the guardsmin.wtp file. It doesn't work.

What I get is no change for unit graphics in the game, but a new model for the hardened veteran in the army painter. The new model in the army painter is the original WA guardsmen, in his original WA guardsmen colours, and with the 412 shoulder patch. All the other models in the army painter wear the custom colours and shoulder patch of my scheme.

When I change the guardsmin.wtp file name to guardsmen, the new pattern shows on all my guardsmen units.

Can you help me please? I am at my wits end. I can't think of what else to do.

regards

sunray

IBBoard
Administrator, Commissar
Administrator
Commissar
Progress to next rank:

38%

Postby IBBoard at 12 Jun 2006, 07:45

You need to hex-edit the RSH as well as the WHM. The WHM tells the unit which RSH to use and the names within the RSH are then used to determine which WTP to use. The fact that it's falling back to the RSH usually indicates that it's failed to find the WTP.

Can't quite understand why renaming it back to the 'original' should make it pick up the WTP, because if it was exactly the same as the original then the model should have picked up the old texture anyway. Only thing I can think of is that there's still a slight difference in names or folder paths.

Hope that helps - now to split it off to its own topic.
Out now: Dawn of War Texture/Skin Downloads
At v0.1: WarFoundry (open source, cross-platform, multi-system army creation application)

sunray

Postby sunray at 13 Jun 2006, 04:13

IBBoard,

Thanks for your advice. I edited the RSH file to pick up the WTP file in the texture_share folder, and it still wouldn't pick up the WTP file. Then I realised what was happening. You see, I was under the impression that the file paths to be edited only existed at either end of the RSH file. I didn't know that the file paths were repeated all the way through the file. I then meticulously (slowly) went through the whole file and edited the file path whenever I came across it. A painfully slow process.

Success. It now works, and my "guardsmin" model now picks up the WW2 camo pattern.

Again, thanks for your help. It is much appreciated.

regards

sunray
:D :D

IBBoard
Administrator, Commissar
Administrator
Commissar
Progress to next rank:

38%

Postby IBBoard at 13 Jun 2006, 08:10

No problem, but yeah, it repeats for each time the texture is applied to a section of the model :D If you get something like XVI32 as your hex-editor then you should be able to do a find and replace on it - it'll make it much easier in future ;)
Out now: Dawn of War Texture/Skin Downloads
At v0.1: WarFoundry (open source, cross-platform, multi-system army creation application)