Help, please!

Space marine

Help, please!

Postby Space marine at 12 Apr 2006, 12:24

Sorry, I know this is in the wrong place, but I can't put it in skinning, since I can't put new topics there.

Anyway, have followed the instructions on the site to create your own badges and banners. Have saved them as .tga, and placed them in the correct location. Unfortunateley, none of them appear in the game,
why?
:cry:

P.S. If it helps, i use paintshop pro 5

IBBoard
Administrator, Commissar
Administrator
Commissar
Progress to next rank:

38%

RE: Help, please!

Postby IBBoard at 12 Apr 2006, 17:38

Normal members can't put topics in there, which is why there's the stickied thread titled Skinning Questions - Post here. You're supposed to post in there and then I move it out in to its own topic.

Anyway, what file format are you saving them in? What colour depth? What are you naming them? And what is the file size of the files?

I don't even think I've used anything as old as PSP5, but hopefully I'll be able to help.

*moving*
Out now: Dawn of War Texture/Skin Downloads
At v0.1: WarFoundry (open source, cross-platform, multi-system army creation application)

Space marine

Postby Space marine at 12 Apr 2006, 17:54

Okay, the thing is, that they are actually images I created myself by hand and scanned in to the computer, I then edited the image's pixel size and saved it in badges / banners (to the respective file) and saved it as a .tga file. So, all I got or had in the way of messages from the program itself was : do you wish to upgrade paintshop pro 5, to which I answered no, and installed The Gimp.

IBBoard
Administrator, Commissar
Administrator
Commissar
Progress to next rank:

38%

Postby IBBoard at 12 Apr 2006, 18:39

When you saved them, it should have given you an option as to how many colours you wanted to save them in. It needs to be 32-bit colour (RGB mode plus an alpha channel). It also needs to be uncompressed, which PSP didn't always do.

Also, check your warnings.log file - it may give you a warning message saying what's wrong, since it warns you if a badge or banner is the wrong dimensions.
At v0.1: WarFoundry (open source, cross-platform, multi-system army creation application)

Space marine

Postby Space marine at 13 Apr 2006, 09:09

No, I wasn't offered a colour depth choice when I saved it.
It just said something about, if I wanted to compress it, because they could not save layered files to the directory (Dawn of war, badges)
I said okay, save it. It said it would not change te overall image.
I do not have PSP5 now, I have the gimp, after you reccomended it to someone else.

IBBoard
Administrator, Commissar
Administrator
Commissar
Progress to next rank:

38%

Postby IBBoard at 13 Apr 2006, 09:14

If you know PSP, I'd recommend sticking with it. Even v5 should support TGA images.

As for The Gimp, it works on channels. Open up the Channels dialog and check the layers. I suspect it only has Red, Green and Blue, you'll need to add Alpha to make it 32-bit.

Also, did you check your warnings.log and the final file size?

Space marine

Postby Space marine at 13 Apr 2006, 10:30

Nothing going on the final file size, but I had a look at the Channels and am currently trying to Alpha it. :wink: