BASSMAN04

Postby BASSMAN04 at 07 Mar 2006, 09:34

Hi
proper newbie question

I'm trying to get the halved space marines i.e. Storm lords into my game

1) do i need a dow upgrade i.e. 1.3 etc as mine is bog standard
2) Where is the "use folders" option ive heard mentioned? This does,nt make sense....then again i'm a proper newbie...only had my pc about 2 weeks but i wanna dig right in and change stuff about.

Any help from you peeps is greatly appreciated

Cheers Tommo

Simguinus
Guardsman (Decorated)
Guardsman (Decorated)
Progress to next rank:

34%

RE: newbie

Postby Simguinus at 07 Mar 2006, 09:46

There should be a v1.3 compatible Mod for the Halved Marines, so you shouldn't need to change anything about the your version of DoW.
Ego Ordinis Mallei Inquisitor, per auctoritate Digamma, Decimatio, Duodecies, ultimum exterminatum planetae [insert here] cum extrema celeritate impero.

(roughly; 'I, Ordo Malleus Inquisitor, hereby authorise Death, Destruction, Doom, the total extermination of the planet "blah" with the most extreme and imperative speed.')

In a galaxy of a million worlds, what does the death of one matter?

Simguinus, Chief Historitor

http://rpg.drivethrustuff.com/catalog/p ... e_id=66353

IBBoard
Administrator, Commissar
Administrator
Commissar
Progress to next rank:

38%

Postby IBBoard at 07 Mar 2006, 10:02

It depends what you're doing. There are two versions of the Halved Marines - a Skin and a Mod.

If you're using the Mod and you're only on v1.3 then the normal version of the Mod should work without needing any of the patches.

If you're using the Skin, then it should work with any version.

As for "use folders", that's for when you're using programs like WinZip. They give you the option to either extract everything as it is stored in the .zip or .rar file (i.e. if you have folder_a\folder_b\file_c.ext in the Zip then it'll recreate the folders when it extracts) or to just extract the files and ignore the folders (i.e. folder_a\folder_b\file_c.ext would become just file_c.ext when it's extracted - no folders).

If you've got a brand new computer and you've not installed anything like WinZip then you'll probably be running on Windows' inbuilt zipping, which probably doesn't have the option. As long as it creates all of the folders when you extract the files, that's the important part.

Moving to DoW Skinning.
Out now: Dawn of War Texture/Skin Downloads
At v0.1: WarFoundry (open source, cross-platform, multi-system army creation application)

BASSMAN04

PATTERN SWITCHER

Postby BASSMAN04 at 07 Mar 2006, 16:49

thanks for all ya help peeps....Just wondering what file brings up the half space marines as a new race?....also i tried unzipping the files to the pattern switcher folder and it says it cannot find anything?? I made a folder called Patterns and all the sub folders etc but still nothing....sorry to be a pain in the dreadnoughts A***.....! :oops:

IBBoard
Administrator, Commissar
Administrator
Commissar
Progress to next rank:

38%

Postby IBBoard at 07 Mar 2006, 19:05

Bring up the Halved Marines? Just start DoW and then enable the mod in the Game Manager (or run it from the .bat file) and it should add the Halved Marines as a playable race - assuming you've downloaded the Mod and not the skin.

As for the pattern switcher - make sure you have the folder names correct (e.g. Space_Marines) or it won't recognise the folders. If that doesn't help, post the exact folder structure with all of the folder names (within the Patterns folder - not for your whole hard drive!) and I'll see what I can spot :)
At v0.1: WarFoundry (open source, cross-platform, multi-system army creation application)

BASSMAN04

Postby BASSMAN04 at 07 Mar 2006, 21:47

Game manager?....Cant see that option when i load the game. I changed the name of the files in "patterns" to Space_marines..so i got that working. My DOW is not 1.3 or anything would that matter? Also if space marines is Space_marines what is Chaos...will it just be chaos? i know i sound not clued up but the truth is...well i.m not....just got the PC and never done anything like this before so go easy on us......Ideally i wanted that cloned race thing in so i can put the storm lords etc in as well as normal marine colour schemes.

Thanks for helping me out though

Tom

IBBoard
Administrator, Commissar
Administrator
Commissar
Progress to next rank:

38%

Postby IBBoard at 08 Mar 2006, 08:36

Yeah, Game Manager is in later versions. Earlier versions (pre-1.3 I think) just had to run Mods via a .bat file, but you'd need at least v1.3 for the Mod to work anyway. If you go to the DoWFiles patch section you'll find all the various patches, or you can go online on Gamespy in-game and it'll automatically update you. Chances are that you won't find many mods at all if you're not on at least v1.3.

As for race names, yeah. I thought it said in the readme, but the race names are Space_Marines, Orks, Eldar, Chaos and (if you've got Winter Assault) Imperial_Guard

BASSMAN04

CHEERS!

Postby BASSMAN04 at 08 Mar 2006, 09:23

Went online last night an upgraded to 1.41 so i should be able to use patches now yeah???

I can see the game manager menu.

Cheers for helping IBB :D

No doubt i'll be back though

BASSMAN04

GAME MANAGER

Postby BASSMAN04 at 08 Mar 2006, 10:26

ok in game manager it says "Warhammer 40,000 dawn of war

Have i extrated the mods to the wrong place in patterns?

There are a few patterns in the pattern switcher.(quartered,half marines, half vehicles)..i just wanted another race to come up in the race section of the army painter e.g half marines.....what am i doing wrong?

IBBoard
Administrator, Commissar
Administrator
Commissar
Progress to next rank:

38%

Postby IBBoard at 08 Mar 2006, 10:56

If you want a new race, you need the Mod and not just the skin. The initial version of Halved and Quartered Marine Mod works with v1.3, but should show up in the Game Manager of 1.4 (Dawn of War can't tell that it won't work until it tries to load it). There are some patches available for both mods that make them 1.4 compatible - just download them after you've installed the 1.3 version of the Mod and follow the instructions :)

BASSMAN04

Postby BASSMAN04 at 08 Mar 2006, 13:35

ok so how do i install the mod? Ive downloaded it and tried saving it in the patterns folder and the dawn of war folder....the game manager still only shows up "warhammer dawn of war 40,000 and there is no new race in the army painter??

BASSMAN04

done uber painter

Postby BASSMAN04 at 08 Mar 2006, 14:39

ok so the uber painter mod show up in the game manager...and i have that extracted to the dawn of war folder.....but the halved marines mod is not showing up in the game mangager and it is also saved in the dow folder??...does the mod need a batch file as it is only a RAR??

IBBoard
Administrator, Commissar
Administrator
Commissar
Progress to next rank:

38%

Postby IBBoard at 08 Mar 2006, 18:41

You should be able to install the Halved Marines in exactly the same way as the UberPainter - just be careful because WinRar's default behaviour is to put everything into a sub-folder of the location you specified.

If that doesn't help, just tell me what you put where :)

Equinox33

Postby Equinox33 at 08 Mar 2006, 21:46

hey fellas, i really dont have a damn clue as to what to do to get any of the skins for the DoW Pattern Switcher, i followed all of the directions in the read me files like making all the folders (Pattern) and all of that but i cant seem to get anything working for me, any idea as to what to do get it up and running? Any input would be greatly appreciated

BASSMAN04

Postby BASSMAN04 at 08 Mar 2006, 22:45

equinox i'd love to help but am still learning myself...i do know that if you need a space marines folder that you have to type it as space_marines....don't know if that helps at all?!?!?!

Next