IBBoard
Administrator, Commissar
Administrator
Commissar
Progress to next rank:

38%

RE: New WTP/RSH/RTX Texture Tool - Last Release: v1.4, 17th July

Postby IBBoard at 09 May 2006, 06:49

Thanks for the pointer - I might have spotted that this morning, maybe not. As I said in that thread, Spooky's tool doesn't do everything it should with the Monolith RSH files, but the new version of the Texture Tool (when it's released) will do and it'll let people do all sorts of great new things :)

The details are all being kept hush-hush for now, though :)

But curse Microsoft - I'm having problems with the TGA->DDS and DDS->TGA conversion because DirectX in C# requires you to install an additional Managed DirectX and I haven't got a C++ wrapper working yet :(
Out now: Dawn of War Texture/Skin Downloads
At v0.1: WarFoundry (open source, cross-platform, multi-system army creation application)

Adonis
3rd Year Cadet
3rd Year Cadet
Progress to next rank:

0%

Postby Adonis at 09 May 2006, 14:07

Well, good luck with it. I'm looking forward to what you come up with next ;) Your programs have been quite helpful.

IBBoard
Administrator, Commissar
Administrator
Commissar
Progress to next rank:

38%

Postby IBBoard at 09 May 2006, 15:51

For my next trick I shall be making a Microsoft product work the way I want it to!

It's no mean feat, either, since C# wants to use Managed DirectX and all I can rely on existing if I use low-level C++ code is the D3d9.dll file, so none of the nice and useful "LoadTextureFromFileInMemory" functions, I've got to do it byte by byte!
At v0.1: WarFoundry (open source, cross-platform, multi-system army creation application)

IBBoard
Administrator, Commissar
Administrator
Commissar
Progress to next rank:

38%

Postby IBBoard at 10 May 2006, 19:27

Just to keep people updated, thanks to a great guy who made a DDS->TGA converter for Unreal Tournament (written in C) and then released the source code to the public, I now have DXT1->TGA conversion working without using DirectX! DXT5->TGA is the next step, but it's coming out all garbled at the moment so I must be reading the data out wrong.

IBBoard
Administrator, Commissar
Administrator
Commissar
Progress to next rank:

38%

Postby IBBoard at 14 May 2006, 08:05

Another update: I've got DXT1, 3 and 5 conversion to TGA working (had it done since the 11th I think) and now I'm working on TGA->DDS conversion. I've pretty much decided to give up on DirectX and all of its dependancies and problems. Instead, I'm borrowing code from the OpenIL image library, porting it to C# and then I'll re-release it under the Lesser GNU Public License (which I have to do, since the original OpenIL is under the LGPL).

It might not be as efficient, but so far it's seeming like the much easier course of action! After about three hour work yesterday it's converting TGA->DXT1, although the colours are slightly out (the green channel is slightly too dark and the red channel is slightly darker again leaving the image kinda blue!)

[edit] Problem solved - I had the colour layers the wrong way round, so blue was on red and red was on blue! Now I've just got to get MipMap generation working...

IBBoard
Administrator, Commissar
Administrator
Commissar
Progress to next rank:

38%

Postby IBBoard at 22 May 2006, 09:53

Yet Another Update: TGA->DDS is now working for DXT1, 3 and 5 (even though DXT3 can't currently be converted in to an RTX/RSH). Speed is quite good, although the bilinear resize for the mip maps doesn't seem to be as smooth as the Photoshop generated mip maps. I've got some bugs to sort out in the alpha layer handling for DXT3 and DXT5 as well - alpha fades are a little stripy at the moment!

IBBoard
Administrator, Commissar
Administrator
Commissar
Progress to next rank:

38%

Postby IBBoard at 17 Jul 2006, 14:03

Okay, just so people know, I've now released v1.4 of the Dawn of War Texture Tool!

A full list of new features are included on the page, but the main features are increased RSH functionality, full DDS->TGA conversion and partial TGA->DDS conversion.

With RSH files It now correctly extracts one or two files it didn't before, and allows you to compile all of the available and Relic-used texture effects (Self-illumination and Reflection/Specularity). Some modellers had found out about Self-Illum through 3DSMax, but Reflection/Specularity (as seen on the Necron Monolith in WA) is entirely new!

Thanks to Compiler and Mel Danes for getting me to look at the new layers/channels and for testing the alpha versions of the tool :)

euology

Postby euology at 16 Aug 2006, 17:54

Hi..
I hope I'm not hijacking this thread now, but I was wondering if it's possible to have a look at the source code for the texture tool? I'm currently working on a couple of different mod tools (that I expect to release later on) and there seems to be a severe lack of info on the texture formats used in DOW. Perhaps you even can release it to the public so it might gain the community as a whole?

euology

Postby euology at 18 Aug 2006, 16:02

No need... I seem to have found the solution...

Edit:
Or not really to the full. I've found what most of the WTP chunks contain, but I was wondering if you have any information on the RSH files? They contain a texture which is much like the other texture formats but they have a SHDR (Shader) section as well. Do you know any of the fields here?

IBBoard
Administrator, Commissar
Administrator
Commissar
Progress to next rank:

38%

Postby IBBoard at 20 Aug 2006, 15:52

I've only recently found out about the SHDR sections myself. As a hint, the relevant feature of the DoW Texture Tool is:
Compile RSH files with additional channels (Self-Illumination and Specularity/Reflection)

I will eventually be releasing my new knowledge to the community, but first I plan to complete my tools. All of the information I've found has either been dragged up from Corsix and Beroc's and possibly Spooky's posts on the Relic News Forums or through looking at the file in a hex editor and Chunky Viewer and changing the occasional header or moving chunks around to see what it did.

KoGar

Postby KoGar at 24 Aug 2006, 13:32

I want to thank you for all the hard work you have done in making such a helpful program. I have been modding games for many years now and it is very rare to find such a well made tool that cuts down modding "work" by well over 3/4ths.. :D

Until I found this program I was having one heck of a time making textures, in my teancolor, to use in the campaign. With this tool I was able to create the Army I wanted in very little time, and they look fantastic! (Maybe I'll post some screenshots just to show how "weird" my tastes are... :P )

Now I have a question that I cannot figure out. How can I get the textures I have made for the campaign to be the default skins for Skirmish play?
I noticed that the campaign skins directly use the .rsh file, while the skirmish uses the default .wtp with the 'Army Painter' colors applied.
I have different colors for the buildings, vehicles, and troops, and would like those colors used in skirmish, rather than just the generic colors from the painter.
I had downloaded a mod, Single Player Black Templar Mod by Skills,
to use as a reference, and noticed that all SM chapters use that texture no matter what their teamcolors are. I opened the .rsh files (in an hex editor) and saw his file headers pointed to a folder not in DoW.
I gather that because the folder did not exsist DoW only used the .rsh, rather than using the default .wtp to render the unit textures. I then recompiled the .rshs, using your tool, and all units, except the campaign ones, went back to using the .wtp file. Looking at the headers in the new .rsh files I see your program points to the default folder and .wtps.
I guess my question here would be...Is there any way, using your tool, to bypass the default .wtp, and only use the .rsh files to texture the units in skirmish mode?

Any help would be greatly appreciated...Keep up the fantastic work... 8)

IBBoard
Administrator, Commissar
Administrator
Commissar
Progress to next rank:

38%

Postby IBBoard at 25 Aug 2006, 12:51

Campaigns use either RSH or RTX files (RSH is the fall-back colour and RTX is a specified scheme or a 'teamcolour disabled' texture). The paths in the RSH do point to the location of the WTP or RTX file, so messing up the path would break the texture and force it to show just the RSH. I'll see what I can do with an automated 'break/fix RSH paths' feature in the next version :)

KoGar

Postby KoGar at 25 Aug 2006, 17:29

Sounds like a great idea.. :D
I found a workable fix for my little problem. I recompiled all the .wtp files and made them non-teamcolorable
(pure white .tgas for all the different layers). Works quite well, but VERY time consuming.

Keep up the great work, and I look forward to updates of this fantastic program... 8)

IBBoard
Administrator, Commissar
Administrator
Commissar
Progress to next rank:

38%

Postby IBBoard at 25 Aug 2006, 19:03

Yeah, recompiling fixed colour WTPs is the other way (although all you need is a coloured _default.tga and a pure white _dirt.tga image - you don't need a layer if it isn't being used) but as you said, it can be quite time consuming.

KoGar

Postby KoGar at 25 Aug 2006, 21:59

in case anyone would like to see the "weirdness: we can do with this great tool. Take a look at the screenshots I have up...You might get a kick out of them... :P 8)

http://forums.relicnews.com/showpost.php?p=1676820&postcount=3495

PreviousNext