IBBoard
Administrator, Commissar
Administrator
Commissar
Progress to next rank:

38%

New WTP/RSH/RTX Texture Tool - Last Release: v1.4, 17th July

Postby IBBoard at 04 Feb 2006, 11:48

Yes, it's confirmed, I'm crazy :D I'm currently working on a new WTP Tool (or at least researching it and poking the WTP files for the moment :D)

So far I should be able to make and extract WTPs (in theory, not coded anything yet!) but I'm only able to position badges and banners using a lookup table where as I'd prefer to work out how to calculate positions properly.

More news as development continues :)
Last edited by IBBoard on 17 Jul 2006, 14:04, edited 2 times in total.
Out now: Dawn of War Texture/Skin Downloads
At v0.1: WarFoundry (open source, cross-platform, multi-system army creation application)

MadMaffMan
Nob
Nob
Progress to next rank:

15%

RE: New WTP/RSH/RTX Texture Tool - Last Release: v1.4, 17th July

Postby MadMaffMan at 04 Feb 2006, 12:17

If you can do something about the Scout WTP's badge layer distorting that would be great. :)

What about saving the wtp's at a larger res, would that be possible or is it already possible. :?:
"No Pity! No Remorse! No Beer!"

IBBoard
Administrator, Commissar
Administrator
Commissar
Progress to next rank:

38%

Postby IBBoard at 04 Feb 2006, 20:06

The badge distort is something that it'll definately be fixing - textures of any size should be possible :) Also, it'll handle banners so you can recombile the banner texture, and it'll also be able to do the theoretically possible, but never used, badge and banner on one texture :)

As for saving to a larger res, it'd theoretically be possible, but it'd either be really intensive and far more coding than all of the rest of it put together, or it'd be really bad quality 'nearest neighbour' resizing. Higher-res WTPs are possible, you just need to resize all of the layers yourself :D
At v0.1: WarFoundry (open source, cross-platform, multi-system army creation application)

IBBoard
Administrator, Commissar
Administrator
Commissar
Progress to next rank:

38%

Postby IBBoard at 04 Feb 2006, 23:57

The WTP side of the Texture Tool (or at least the library that it'll use) is now almost complete. All that is missing is including badge and banner data :) I've even successfully compiled and decompiled the Whirlwind Launcher texture (512x256) without having to resize it :)

But the badges and banners can wait until tomorrow ;)

[edit] The tool is now complete and ready for upload. I'll announce it as a new post when it is uploaded :)

IBBoard
Administrator, Commissar
Administrator
Commissar
Progress to next rank:

38%

Postby IBBoard at 05 Feb 2006, 19:57

The Dawn of War Texture Tool is now available!

v1.0 does everything I promised - any WTP, any dimensions, with badge, with banner, with badge and banner, whatever you want, just as long as it has the right components :)

So if you want to remake any Scout skins that aren't stretched with distorted-size badges, now you can ;)

[edit] Oooops, the v1.0 contained a bug when you compiled Scout textures. The new Dawn of War Texture Tool v1.1 fixes that bug, as well as adding the ability to compile or extract multiple WTPs at once.

MadMaffMan
Nob
Nob
Progress to next rank:

15%

Postby MadMaffMan at 06 Feb 2006, 19:02

Cool job there. 8)

Now when i start the Termies i can redo the Neophytes as well.

I have downloaded it but yet to install it, so if there is an answer in the readme ignore this question. When you say it works with badges and banners how so as i thought they were handled separately by the game and were nothing to do with the WTP file (apart from badge placement of course). :?:

IBBoard
Administrator, Commissar
Administrator
Commissar
Progress to next rank:

38%

Postby IBBoard at 06 Feb 2006, 20:36

Yeah, it's placement :) Beroc's tool added a badge layer (the _badge.tga file) to determine where the badge went. If you extracted a banner with Beroc's tool, it treated it as an odd shaped banner and so gave you an _badge.tga image (even though it was extracted from the banner layer).

The Texture Tool will correctly add a badge position to the badge layer (from the _badge.tga) and a banner position to the banner layer (from the _banner.tga) :) So if you want to make a new Crusade banner with extra details on it, you can - just make sure that the banner area is the right size and that you didn't extract it with Beroc's tool (because it will have saved it as a badge layer, which the texture tool will then reject by going "badge? you call that a badge? it's not square or the right size, you fool!" - only slightly kinder :D)

As an update - there isn't a version released yet, but RSH extraction is now working :) Just got to figure out how to put them back :D

[edit] RTX extraction and compilation is now working (used in Winter Assault campaign team colouring). The only step left is RSH compilation :)

IBBoard
Administrator, Commissar
Administrator
Commissar
Progress to next rank:

38%

Postby IBBoard at 07 Feb 2006, 21:38

I've just released the updated version. It now doesn't do two things that Beroc's tool did, does one thing that you required SpookyRSH Viewer for and does two things that no other app has done before!

The Texture Tool v1.2 now compiles and extracts all three texture file formats (WTP, RSH and RTX) so now you can edit team colourable textures, DoW campaign textures and 'team colour off' and Winter Assault team colour textures :)

There are still plans for more versions with more features - although they'll wait a little bit because I should have done more work on my final year project! The latest version of the Texture Tool can always be found at http://skins.hiveworldterra.co.uk/TextureTool/

IBBoard
Administrator, Commissar
Administrator
Commissar
Progress to next rank:

38%

Postby IBBoard at 13 Feb 2006, 08:31

The latest version of the texture tool has now been released :) It now comes with a TGA Compilation feature (so you can see what it will look like in-game) and importing of badges, banners and teamcolour settings. It also now has 'preferences', so the starting folder for the app won't keep wandering off all over the place!

The only main feature left to implement is conversion of TGA to DDS. Beyond that it's less important things like extracting in the same format as the Exporter for 3DSMax uses (all 32-bit TGAs, using the Alpha channel) and the slightly more complicated request of importing PSD images!

MadMaffMan
Nob
Nob
Progress to next rank:

15%

Postby MadMaffMan at 13 Feb 2006, 17:48

Great job there, i should hopefully get a chance to try it out this week........fingers crossed. :-)

Off-topic: Have you played the new Rebirth mod, it's very good indeed. If you haven't tried it yet it's worth the download.

IBBoard
Administrator, Commissar
Administrator
Commissar
Progress to next rank:

38%

Postby IBBoard at 13 Feb 2006, 18:52

Ah, he returns :D I was getting a little lonely on here, seeming to be the only one around :(

Hopefully the tool does everything you need. The only time you need an external tool now is something like Photoshop for converting the composite TGA into a DDS so that you can compile it into an RSH or RTX, and even that should be sorted at some point.

As for the mod, nope, don't play DoW enough to bother with mods :D

[edit] Oooops, I've just released a 1.3.1 version because although RSH and RTX files seemed to be compiling and extracting fine, they weren't being recognised by the game. The new version has fixed that (or at least the textures were showing after I extracted and recompiled them!)

MadMaffMan
Nob
Nob
Progress to next rank:

15%

Postby MadMaffMan at 15 Feb 2006, 19:54

This is going to be the only tool anyone will need now.....great work there mate. :clap:

Off-Topic - I plan to start my BT termies soon, because i started to clean out one room i got roped into decorating the upstairs somehow. :shock:
One thing i do know is never argue with a women who's made up her mind. :lol:

You should give the mod a try it's very well done and much more fun to play than the vanilla game.

TTFN

IBBoard
Administrator, Commissar
Administrator
Commissar
Progress to next rank:

38%

Postby IBBoard at 15 Feb 2006, 20:22

Yep, just the tool and Photoshop (or something else that can handle DDS files) and everyone should be able to skin anything :)

IBBoard
Administrator, Commissar
Administrator
Commissar
Progress to next rank:

38%

Postby IBBoard at 04 May 2006, 10:22

A new version is now in the pipeline!

v1.4 will include the missing "DDS->TGA" and "TGA->DDS" functionality, as well as fixing a minor issue of a handled error when you gave it a blank badge/banner TGA. Blank badge/banner layers will now mean that the badge/banner section isn't added to the file.

Additional features that may make it in to 1.4 or a later build are:
  • Extract/compile more of the parts of the RSH file that are currently hard-coded (for those with ChumyViewer from the Mod Tools, the SHDR folder)
  • Make RSH/RTX from TGA images so you don't have to manually convert the composite teamcoloured TGA that the app can compile

Any other suggestions will be taken in to consideration :)

Adonis
3rd Year Cadet
3rd Year Cadet
Progress to next rank:

0%

Postby Adonis at 09 May 2006, 04:48

IB, there have been a few complaints about the WTP tool as far as the RSH extractor goes. You may want to take a look into this.

http://forums.relicnews.com/showthread.php?t=93178

Next