How do I start skinning?

zoomer

how do you make a new skin?

Postby zoomer at 20 Jan 2006, 23:53

I was just wondering to make a skin. Could anyone tell me what I need to get started.eg. programs

MadMaffMan
Nob
Nob
Progress to next rank:

15%

RE: How do I start skinning?

Postby MadMaffMan at 21 Jan 2006, 00:14

I use Photoshop 6, there is a tutorials section here....

http://skins.hiveworldterra.co.uk/Article/view_15.html

...thats where i got all the info from to start. :-)
"No Pity! No Remorse! No Beer!"

IBBoard
Administrator, Commissar
Administrator
Commissar
Progress to next rank:

38%

Postby IBBoard at 21 Jan 2006, 09:04

Yeah, that's my tutorial for it. Alternatively, SandwichWarrior made a Skinning for Dummies tutorial.

If there's anything else, just check the Dawn of War Tutorials section or the FAQs :)

Don't forget to post back with your work and progress :)
Out now: Dawn of War Texture/Skin Downloads
At v0.1: WarFoundry (open source, cross-platform, multi-system army creation application)

Fizzled

Postby Fizzled at 22 Jan 2006, 06:55

There's also a bit of information about the tools and some links to additional tutorials on the RDN DOW site.

IBBoard
Administrator, Commissar
Administrator
Commissar
Progress to next rank:

38%

Postby IBBoard at 22 Jan 2006, 09:44

There isn't so much on the RDN about skinning though. One or two tutorials, but the file information is certainly a lot less than it is for LUA, RGD, SCAR and AI - the main coding projects that take get most Wiki attention.
At v0.1: WarFoundry (open source, cross-platform, multi-system army creation application)

zoomer

Thanks

Postby zoomer at 23 Jan 2006, 00:31

thanks for support. do u know where can I download photoshop 6? And I also noticed that sandwhich warrior mentioned WTP what does that stand for?

Fizzled

Postby Fizzled at 23 Jan 2006, 03:18

If you don't already have Photoshop, you might want to look into GIMP as a free alternative.

IBBoard
Administrator, Commissar
Administrator
Commissar
Progress to next rank:

38%

Postby IBBoard at 23 Jan 2006, 09:18

Photoshop has gone through version 6, 7, CS and CS2 by now, so downloading Photoshop 6 isn't likely. You'll be able to get a 30 day demo of Photoshop CS from Adobe's site, or search Google. Anything for the earlier versions is likely to be warez and illegal, so not suitable for the forum.

As for Gimp, it's very powerful, but it's originally a Linux app so the interface is not as friendly as Photoshop. Once you've learnt how to use it, you should be able to do just about anything in it.

I don't know if anyone actually knows what WTP stands for, but the WTP files are the files that control the team colouring of textures (which areas are which of the selectable colours). I thought it was mentioned somewhere, but apparently not. If you want to skin, you'll need to learn about extracting and recompiling the WTP files :) But there's tutorials for almost everything you need in the way of basics :)

zoomer

Postby zoomer at 24 Jan 2006, 09:33

sorry to be a pain in the butt, but I clicked on the link above last post
( fizzled ) and It took me to the website. I clicked on the downloads section and clicked on the mirror ftp://ftp.gimp.org/pub/gimp/v2.2/ and It took me to all this...stuff. um...It looks like I could be there for awhile and I want to know If this is the right stuff. I'm 56 k'er. R e a l s l o w.....

IBBoard
Administrator, Commissar
Administrator
Commissar
Progress to next rank:

38%

Postby IBBoard at 24 Jan 2006, 10:25

Don't worry, you're not a pain - Open Source isn't always the easiest to find the right version for your computer ;)

It looks like you hit the source code though. You should have clicked the "GIMP for Windows" link, ended up on gimp-win.sourceforge.net and then gone to Stable Builds. You'll need to download the Gimp for Windows package and whichever GTK+ package is appropriate for your version of Windows.

Don't worry, it is possible to do it all on a 56K connection - I did it over Christmas on my Fiancee's sister's laptop, and that was a 550MHz processor with 56MB of RAM and a 56K connection in the mountains above Denver, Colorado!

Good luck :)

zoomer

Postby zoomer at 25 Jan 2006, 07:24

I have downloaded the GIMP for Windows (version 2.2.10) and the GTK+ 2 Runtime Environment (version 2.8.9, for Windows 2000 and newer; updated installer). Is that it I'm all set to skin? And how do I start, do I open a previous skin from DOW WA and edit it. :?: :D

IBBoard
Administrator, Commissar
Administrator
Commissar
Progress to next rank:

38%

Postby IBBoard at 25 Jan 2006, 08:27

Just follow one of the tutorials :) The basic process is: extract existing WTP from game archive, extract TGAs from WTP, edit TGAs, recompile WTP, play game with new texture, show us what you've done :)

zoomer

Postby zoomer at 26 Jan 2006, 05:22

thank you for your help :D I will make some skins and see how they turn out. c ya

p.s. If you know any tutuorials for gimp could you please list them. :)

IBBoard
Administrator, Commissar
Administrator
Commissar
Progress to next rank:

38%

Postby IBBoard at 26 Jan 2006, 08:34

I'm not sure on Gimp tutorials, but there are bound to be lots out there. Open Source tends to be well supported in the way of tutorials, especially if it's quite popular like The Gimp is. The help files (which they might have a copy of online, instead of the download) might also have a few pointers :)