The cheek of some people...

Ravage777
4th Year Cadet
4th Year Cadet
Progress to next rank:

15%

Re: The cheek of some people...

Postby Ravage777 at 15 May 2008, 02:00

Right,stealin stuff is bogus because then people who do it for nothing and kinda expect a little donation just get robbed if somebody takes it and says its thiers.

Thanks
Ravage777

IBBoard
Administrator, Commissar
Administrator
Commissar
Progress to next rank:

38%

Postby IBBoard at 15 May 2008, 18:50

Even if they don't expect a donation then they at least expect a bit of courtesy. All it takes is one email to ask if you can re-use something, it's not exactly a stretch. If the person says no then that's their right and it just means you have to do a bit more work to do it yourself :)
Out now: Dawn of War Texture/Skin Downloads
At v0.1: WarFoundry (open source, cross-platform, multi-system army creation application)

Sanguinius
4th Year Cadet
4th Year Cadet
Progress to next rank:

65%

Postby Sanguinius at 13 Aug 2008, 06:43

i agree with y'all. i mean, those people spent alot of time making those mods, and he basically just stole them! :shock: how would he like it if he spent weeks on a cool modification, and someone stole it from him and said it was his?!? thats outrageous :!: :evil: i hate his guts and such. :x
my youtube account is rapidfire544.
i try to post often but school is stopping me. =P

IBBoard
Administrator, Commissar
Administrator
Commissar
Progress to next rank:

38%

Postby IBBoard at 14 Aug 2008, 12:04

Even now it's still going on. There's a mod on DoWFiles.com that takes Hangar-8's textures, badges and banners and makes campaign skins from them without permission (he asked but didn't get a reply). They also re-use MadMaffMan's Black Templars and O-CuK-Chainz's Blood Angels despite the fact that one says "only for distribution by Skins@HWT" and the other doesn't say whether it can be re-used or not. I've not seen either of them in the community for ages, so it's doubtful they got permission.

What's worse is the number of people saying "well he gave credit, so what's wrong?", completely ignoring the fact that some people take pride in their work and want to do something similar to 'licensing' their work by approving who re-uses it.
At v0.1: WarFoundry (open source, cross-platform, multi-system army creation application)

Sanguinius
4th Year Cadet
4th Year Cadet
Progress to next rank:

65%

Postby Sanguinius at 14 Aug 2008, 12:33

man, i just hate when that happens. I used to put my b&b sets on filefront, but because of stuff like this, now i dont put them on there(they werent too good anyways :( ). i still cant believe it. just the other day i went on there and some twit posted the EXACT SAME b&b pack made by hanger-8, and even included 8's reasme.=P fortunatly, a ton of people complained and his account got banned and the pack removed. :roll: it only took them around a week or so. :roll:

IBBoard
Administrator, Commissar
Administrator
Commissar
Progress to next rank:

38%

Postby IBBoard at 14 Aug 2008, 19:18

They used to be quite slow, but there's now a FileFront rep on Hangar-8's forums so that they can hopefully pick up on this stuff quicker. Submitting stuff with the original readme is even worse though - how did it ever get past the approvers?!

Sanguinius
4th Year Cadet
4th Year Cadet
Progress to next rank:

65%

Postby Sanguinius at 15 Aug 2008, 11:53

I have no idea, but somehow they slid it in there. By the way, thank you very much for changing my name! :clap:

[edit] those approvers are getting lazier and lazier, mainly because of the flood of items every day.
theyre just reclining, hitting "approved; approved; approved; approved, just like in those rent-a-car adds.

Previous