IBBoard
Administrator, Commissar
Administrator
Commissar
Progress to next rank:

38%

Wanted: Tutorials, articles or ideas!

Postby IBBoard at 14 Jan 2006, 18:49

OK,I'll make this a sticky in case people feel they have time to contribute things other than textures, or if they can make things sound simpler than I do (which I'm sure isn't hard!)

If you have any tutorials or articles - how to do things like making a previously non-teamcolourable area teamcolourable, how to make certain effects, whatever - then please either post them or email them to me :) We're always willing to take contributions, and the bigger the range of authors and tutorials, the better the contribution back to the community.
Out now: Dawn of War Texture/Skin Downloads
At v0.1: WarFoundry (open source, cross-platform, multi-system army creation application)

IBBoard
Administrator, Commissar
Administrator
Commissar
Progress to next rank:

38%

RE: Wanted: Tutorials, articles or ideas!

Postby IBBoard at 20 Jan 2006, 20:01

OK, minor change to the topic - ideas are now accepted!

If you feel that something isn't described well enough anywhere, then please post the topic here and I'll see what I can do in the way of a tutorial, or what other people can do. I know there are a few areas that people have problems with when they first skin, but I can't think what they are or what kind of tutorial I can make for them! I want to add more content to make the site even better, but without the ideas I can't do it :D
At v0.1: WarFoundry (open source, cross-platform, multi-system army creation application)

IBBoard
Administrator, Commissar
Administrator
Commissar
Progress to next rank:

38%

Postby IBBoard at 24 Jan 2006, 20:53

Hmmmm, no ideas from anyone else yet :D Oh well, I've come up with one of my own already :) It's quite specific, and seems obvious to me, but then I've worked with skins a lot.

The new tutorial, for those who don't watch the Skins@HWT News page (shame on you!) is Making non-team colourable areas teamcolourable.

I have an exam first thing tomorrow, but I might try and make a quick sister tutorial of how to make an area non-teamcolourable soon. I'll include the quick way and then the clean way that tidies up after yourself :)

MadMaffMan
Nob
Nob
Progress to next rank:

15%

Postby MadMaffMan at 24 Jan 2006, 23:03

Nice work with the tutorial, in it you mention.

'The circle selector and polygon lassoo-type tools are the best choice for the tattoo.'

Now i dont know about anyone else but as i'm self taught the one thing that does confuse the hell out of me is all the different tools that PS6 has. I expect that i do things the hard way when things like this polygon lassoo tool would make my life much simpler. Hows about a tutorial explaining the tools and the best use for them. :wink:

I took me ages to get the hang of things like masking, and alpha layers are still very hit and miss with me. I had a full head of hair when i started out at this, now look at me.........

:)

P.S. Good luck with the exams.
"No Pity! No Remorse! No Beer!"

IBBoard
Administrator, Commissar
Administrator
Commissar
Progress to next rank:

38%

Postby IBBoard at 25 Jan 2006, 08:28

Thanks, exam is in 1hr 15 and counting :D

As for the tools, I purposefully didn't use their 'real name' in Photoshop because they're probably Photoshop specific and it was meant to be a generic tutorial :) I can try and document some of the tools and techniques, though, although I've never used masking yet!

MadMaffMan
Nob
Nob
Progress to next rank:

15%

Postby MadMaffMan at 25 Jan 2006, 11:46

Masking is the main way i move things from layer to layer, it's the selection tools that i don't know how to use. The help file with PH6 isn't the best ever made either which doesn't help. :?
"No Pity! No Remorse! No Beer!"

IBBoard
Administrator, Commissar
Administrator
Commissar
Progress to next rank:

38%

Postby IBBoard at 25 Jan 2006, 12:37

To move between layers, I just select (with background set to white or black as appropriate) cut, go to other file and paste :D

Exams are over now, so I should be working on my final year project, but a break is needed first and hopefully more tutorials will be produced :) I'll get your skins up shortly as well, although first me things I need a nice ham sandwich :)