Black Templar skin.

MadMaffMan
Nob
Nob
Progress to next rank:

15%

RE: Black Templar skin.

Postby MadMaffMan at 21 Jan 2006, 22:10

The Neophyte's are nearly done i think, i did try moving that left eyebrow higher but he ended up looking like Mr. Spock. Great for a Star Trek mod but not much use otherwise. :lol:

Getting the eyes to match was a real pain in the @~#$ but i'm happy with the final result, other wise it was easy to add the Army badge that i thought i'd carry over to all the skins to keep a sense of continuity. After all they are all on the same Crusade.

I tried to tidy up the bolter, i removed the winged eagle as the BT's dont seem to go in for all that decoration that other chapters like. The bolter mag was a prob, there is a lot less space to play around with than on the ordinary Marines WTP so the detail is a lot more low-res. I dont think it looks to bad.....what do you think guys. :?:

It's a shame that the badge gets distorted because the files have to be 512x512 but i guess there's not a lot i can do about that. :roll:
"No Pity! No Remorse! No Beer!"

IBBoard
Administrator, Commissar
Administrator
Commissar
Progress to next rank:

38%

Postby IBBoard at 22 Jan 2006, 09:21

Looks good :) it is a bit of a shame about the badge - the 3DSMax exporter can make rectangular textures, so it shouldn't be impossible to make a tool to do it. The faces definately look like an improvement from the originals.

As for the bolter - why not make it a Godwyn Sicle clip (sp?), the one with the covered over side. That'd stop the two large bullets looking quite so strange and might work better at lower res :)
Out now: Dawn of War Texture/Skin Downloads
At v0.1: WarFoundry (open source, cross-platform, multi-system army creation application)

MadMaffMan
Nob
Nob
Progress to next rank:

15%

Postby MadMaffMan at 22 Jan 2006, 13:24

Yeah i wasn't sure about the 'chunky bolts' look, thought it might grow on me but nope.

So a Godwyn pattern sickle clip eh!........i like the sound of that. :lol:

*edit*

What about this. :?:

IBBoard
Administrator, Commissar
Administrator
Commissar
Progress to next rank:

38%

Postby IBBoard at 22 Jan 2006, 15:54

Yeah, that looks better :) and I knew the spelling was completely wrong, but I couldn't for the life of me remember what it should be :D
At v0.1: WarFoundry (open source, cross-platform, multi-system army creation application)

MadMaffMan
Nob
Nob
Progress to next rank:

15%

Postby MadMaffMan at 03 Feb 2006, 13:38

I take it that you saw that comment about this skin. He says that it doesn't work no matter what he trys and then goes and gives it a 5/5 score because he liked the pics..... :shock:

Very odd indeed. :D

I've tried it on my fresh install and it still works ok for me. :?

IBBoard
Administrator, Commissar
Administrator
Commissar
Progress to next rank:

38%

Postby IBBoard at 03 Feb 2006, 16:51

Yeah, there are several comments like that floating around. At least he/she was a reasonable person and managed not to give it a score of 1 just because he/she wasn't able to install it themselves. The skin is fine, they're probably just not following the instructions properly and not creating the folders like so many people who have problems. They'll go:

"'w40K', yep, ok, 'data', nope, not there, lets just dump the files here then because there isn't a folder of that name, so the readme must be wrong and I know better"

and then wonder why it'll not work.

At least you didn't get the comment containing the expletive just because the background from the author said Alpha Legion instead of Black Legion :rolleyes: It's great how people ignore the bit that says "don't use this form to ask for help"! I've hopefully made it a bit more obvious for them now :D

Also, check out my blog post and the Skins@HWT News for more thoughts on the comments like that ;)

MadMaffMan
Nob
Nob
Progress to next rank:

15%

Postby MadMaffMan at 03 Feb 2006, 17:36

Yeah it was good of them to still give it a good score, it just seemed odd as they hadn't got it to work. :?

So there was an attack of the stroppy teenager syndrome was there, i missed that thankfully. It annoys me when someone slags off someone else's work for over something so minor as a wrong name.....sad. :evil:

There was a slagging match on DOW files over what was a deathworld and what wasn't. It all started with a map set on Armageddon which someone said shouldn't have a jungle and it all kicked off from there.... :roll:

IBBoard
Administrator, Commissar
Administrator
Commissar
Progress to next rank:

38%

Postby IBBoard at 03 Feb 2006, 18:39

LOL! Getting fluff right is kinda important, but not that important! But yeah, could very easily have been teenage strop - it was an AOL user :D Unfortunately it wasn't even someone like me who was the target, it was one of the new submitters who posted the Sons of Horus stuff.

I've signed up at the filefront forums now (try to syphon some people from that way :D) and there's someone just the same over there - as soon as anyone comes up with a mod idea, he attacks it and says that they won't be able to do it or, if its similar to an existing mod, says theirs will be useless and won't be anywhere near as good as the other one. Even if it isn't, at least they want to try something and want to learn.

Back on topic - when is the next BT skin release coming out? :) I'm prodding WTP files with a hex-editor at the moment, see if I can understand them and make a new compiler app :)

MadMaffMan
Nob
Nob
Progress to next rank:

15%

Postby MadMaffMan at 03 Feb 2006, 23:35

I'll get onto the BT termies next, just been doing a spot of room clearing. If i'm gonna take up TT then i'll need some space for painting....and i found some more stuff that i'd forgotten that i still had. :oops:

Gotta luv having a clear out, always a surprise. :shock:

IBBoard
Administrator, Commissar
Administrator
Commissar
Progress to next rank:

38%

Postby IBBoard at 04 Feb 2006, 09:09

LOL yeah :D never know what you might find that you'd forgotten you had! And depending on how long you wait, you might be able to use a new WTP tool that handles odd-sized layers and handles badges and banners ;)

Space marine

Postby Space marine at 08 Apr 2006, 17:51

If you get on to a BT force commander, then give him a full brown hairdoo, and a scar across one cheek, and on his armour, cover every bit that you can reach with text. Well, actually, not every bit you can reach, but primarily, the right shoulder pad, the left and right knee joints, the left greave and on his sword (if you can).
Also try to add a huge white templar cross to his cape. This is the basic ideals of a Black Templar FC.
Also, thry and add lots of text, purity seals and lots of heraldry, banners, icons, murals, and gold regalia to the Land Raider, and any other bits you can think of.
I would do this myself, but unfortunateley, I suck! My best attempt at creating a skin came out as a blobby mass of red and green. :oops:
I'm only asking you to do this because the Black templars are the 2nd best Marines chapter, and so deserve to be adorned as so. :!:
Oh, and talking of clearouts, I found a pile of old Playstation games behind the cubpoard in the 2nd guest room!

xceptional

Postby xceptional at 26 Oct 2006, 12:19

Very nice work they look awsome! but are your skins downloadble? :P

[edit (by IBBoard)] nvm found it ! thx anyway :D

IBBoard
Administrator, Commissar
Administrator
Commissar
Progress to next rank:

38%

Postby IBBoard at 26 Oct 2006, 17:27

Yep, for those who are interested it's available on the site as Black Templars Initiate and Neophyte :)

Previous