Recompiled textures going semi-transparent?

Jamesk

RE: Recompiled textures going semi-transparent?

Postby Jamesk at 30 Nov 2005, 07:12

Hello, Im tryin to break into skinning and I am useing PSP9 and i can get all the files broke down changed and back into the game...the problem being i get a near transparent character....But they do have the changes i made on them they are just kinda see thro
[img=http://img454.imageshack.us/img454/9424/relic003908wp.th.jpg] the slightest change i make will result in the ghost like thing

IBBoard
Administrator, Commissar
Administrator
Commissar
Progress to next rank:

38%

Postby IBBoard at 30 Nov 2005, 08:07

Interesting effect, I've not seen that one before! Check that the files you save are of the correct format (32bit for _default or 8bit TGA for the colour scheme layers, only _default has a alpha channel). But since you're working from existing files, I'd recommend checking TGA settings - make sure that you're not compressing the TGA. You should end up with most files at 256KB and the _default at 1MB for the huge majority of units.
Out now: Dawn of War Texture/Skin Downloads
At v0.1: WarFoundry (open source, cross-platform, multi-system army creation application)

Jamesk

Postby Jamesk at 30 Nov 2005, 11:47

Ya stray alpha channel, got er covered. ty bud

IBBoard
Administrator, Commissar
Administrator
Commissar
Progress to next rank:

38%

Postby IBBoard at 01 Dec 2005, 08:09

Like I said in the Relic Forums though, if it's on _default then it shouldn't be a stray alpha channel, an alpha channel on there is the norm and is 8 bit black and white, but ends up being true-false transparency (unless they changed that for WA)
At v0.1: WarFoundry (open source, cross-platform, multi-system army creation application)

IBBoard
Administrator, Commissar
Administrator
Commissar
Progress to next rank:

38%

Postby IBBoard at 02 Jan 2006, 11:33

Ah, never updated this.

A quick correction to that comment - the Alpha Channel on the _default file is full 8-bit transparency. It's just that the Army Painter only approximates to 1-bit (true/false) transparency :) The problem that JamesK was having was that a colour channel had migrated to the Alpha channel, so he was missing one colour from RGB (hence the hue change) and had a varied alpha channel.