Problems changing Campaign and Map Editor Team Colours

phoenix

RE: Problems changing Campaign and Map Editor Team Colours

Postby phoenix at 29 Dec 2005, 12:42

hi
I want to change the TEAM-COLOR of every faction in the campaign.

I created the Modfolder, I switched to folder:
C:\Programme\THQ\Dawn of War\Colormod\art\team_colours\chaos_marine_race

First I replaced and renamed the whole files for the chaos marine_rce. Than I tried to change the content with a text editor. (The color s numbers...each color has numbers)

But it is simply not read !

I created the files in the "Army Painter" in the options menu. These files are in:
C:\Programme\THQ\Dawn of War\Profiles\Profile1\wxp\Schemes

I am using them for replacing the others in the Mod folder.

I have extracted all discribed files (Non-Gameplay Data) into the folder And I can choose the name in the menu.

But instead of my new colors the standart colors are reset...when I load the mod
That means that my mod does nothing except reset the standart colors. But I have changed the files within the mod folder.

Saving new schemes in the Profile/my mod folder works

phoenix

Postby phoenix at 29 Dec 2005, 17:05

guys I know something similar was already described in the tutorial. But not for choosing self made Teamcolors for the Campaign or the editor.

I want to make maps in the MEditor and play them with my Color-schemes.

So when this is not possible what are u all doing here ???
all for MP games and custom games ?

IBBoard
Administrator, Commissar
Administrator
Commissar
Progress to next rank:

38%

Postby IBBoard at 30 Dec 2005, 17:38

Firstly, edit, don't double post - four and a half hours is close enough together that an edit can be used ;)

Secondly - what are you trying to do, exactly? To change the in-campaign team colours you need to change the RSH files (fixed-colour textures). To change single player colour schemes/colour schemes for existing races, you need to edit the .teamcolour files in the "Data\art\team_colours\race name\" folder. That can either be in the W40K or WXP folders, or you can override them in a mod using that subfolder path of your mod. As long as the file names are the same, it should override them. If you notice, the top folder is the 'data' folder - that could be why it's not read in your mod.

I've never used the Map Editor, but I don't see why you can't use ME-made maps with your own colour schemes. Any more details on that would help.

I'll make a new topic of this once I know more of what it's about (so I can get a correct title!)
Out now: Dawn of War Texture/Skin Downloads
At v0.1: WarFoundry (open source, cross-platform, multi-system army creation application)

phoenix

Postby phoenix at 30 Dec 2005, 22:16

IBBoard wrote:
Secondly - what are you trying to do, exactly?

I ve made some (IMHO really great looking) color schemes with the tool in the options menu. And I want to use them for the campaign.....
The same colorscheme used in the Campaign is used in the Editor. When I change the color scheme of the campaign, the scheme of the editor created SP maps is also changed.

To change the in-campaign team colours you need to change the RSH files (fixed-colour textures). To change single player colour schemes/colour schemes for existing races, you need to edit the .teamcolour files in the "Data\art\team_colours\race name\" folder. That can either be in the W40K or WXP folders, or you can override them in a mod using that subfolder path of your mod. As long as the file names are the same, it should override them.

It actually changes the color scheme. But it doesn t influence the campaign team color scheme nor the ME team color scheme.

If you notice, the top folder is the 'data' folder - that could be why it's not read in your mod.

Same for the mod. It works not in SP maps.

I've never used the Map Editor, but I don't see why you can't use ME-made maps with your own colour schemes. Any more details on that would help.

The real Team color schemes are zipped in C:\Programme\THQ\Dawn of War\W40k\W40kdata.sga
I can unzip it. But not repack. The file crushes.
I also noticed that the new packfile is a little smaller.
(I used for repacking winrar and changed the extension to sga)

I'll make a new topic of this once I know more of what it's about (so I can get a correct title!)

some guy in the relic forum told me:
you will need to reskin every single troop type and vehicle type with your new team colour
in winter assault you can select any of the 'default' colours as a single player colour with a simple command in a SCAR script.
And the problems with the colour are something to do with colour bleed - check the main adeptus forum for more details about this problem with textures.

I have opend some WTP files how described in the tutorial on this site.
But there is no color in any tga file. It s all black and some details. If this was the teamcolor all units were black...

IBBoard
Administrator, Commissar
Administrator
Commissar
Progress to next rank:

38%

Postby IBBoard at 31 Dec 2005, 11:23

I think you're understanding wrong - WTPs control team colour, they're not the actual team colours. The different parts of the WTP 'layers' control how much of each colour appears on each part of the texture. The whiter the pixel on a layer, the more of that colour there is (except 'dirt' and 'default', which are slightly different)

As for 'repacking' the teamcolour files - you don't need to. If you leave them in the correct folder structure then the game uses the extracted version. If you try repacking some of the main DoW or WA files then you're liable to break online play.

I still don't quite know what the ME problem is though - I've got half an understanding, but having never worked with the ME means I'm not quite sure on it.
At v0.1: WarFoundry (open source, cross-platform, multi-system army creation application)

phoenix

Postby phoenix at 31 Dec 2005, 12:43

It doesn t work. First I renamed the orginal packed file and the game crushed. When I don t do that the file DOESN T influence the SP games.

C:\Programme\THQ\Dawn of War\W40k\art\team_colours\chaos_marine_race\Alpha_Legion.teamcolor

I extracted W40kData.sga

IBBoard
Administrator, Commissar
Administrator
Commissar
Progress to next rank:

38%

Postby IBBoard at 02 Jan 2006, 11:28

First thing that's wrong is that
Code: Select all
C:\Programme\THQ\Dawn of War\W40k\art\team_colours\chaos_marine_race\Alpha_Legion.teamcolor

Should a) be spelled correctly (Canadian/British English) and b) should have "data" in the path.
C:\Programme\THQ\Dawn of War\W40k\data\art\team_colours\chaos_marine_race\Alpha_Legion.teamcolour

If you want that file to override the existing Alpha Legion teamcolour, then you need to remove the underscore from the file name as well (alphalegion.teamcolour).

If you can give me a full step-by-step of what you did and what tools you used, it'd be a great help.

And now I'll try to think of a title and split this thread.

phoenix

Postby phoenix at 03 Jan 2006, 15:13

IBBoard wrote:First thing that's wrong is that

Should a) be spelled correctly (Canadian/British English) and b) should have "data" in the path.
C:\Programme\THQ\Dawn of War\W40k\data\art\team_colours\chaos_marine_race\Alpha_Legion.teamcolour

If you want that file to override the existing Alpha Legion teamcolour, then you need to remove the underscore from the file name as well (alphalegion.teamcolour).

If you can give me a full step-by-step of what you did and what tools you used, it'd be a great help.

And now I'll try to think of a title and split this thread.

I am using the german Version. And I obviosly was a little sloppy with the "data"
I changed all teamcolorfiles within the above called folder to the fitting names. (compaed with the extracted version of C:\Programme\THQ\Dawn of War\W40k\w40kdada.sga ) (used the packer from the tool collection 1.41)
And I added my color scheme in every .teamcolor file for chaos.

I loaded WXP mission1 (in the game) and the red color has remained.
Are you sure that it works ?

IBBoard
Administrator, Commissar
Administrator
Commissar
Progress to next rank:

38%

Postby IBBoard at 03 Jan 2006, 15:49

Which red colour where? Which skin and which race? Don't forget that WXP could have changed the .teamcolour files so you'll need to extract them from the relevant .sga file in the WXP folder (the Space Marines were definately changed, I don't know about Chaos)

phoenix

Postby phoenix at 03 Jan 2006, 16:26

IBBoard wrote:Which red colour where? Which skin and which race? Don't forget that WXP could have changed the .teamcolour files so you'll need to extract them from the relevant .sga file in the WXP folder (the Space Marines were definately changed, I don't know about Chaos)

The color of the Chaos units. Always Chaos race. (for testing)
Let s try it for W40k, it is simplier to test than WXP.

In W40k was also no color change of the chaos units. (they are black here or could change color from mission to mission, not sure but they do not have my color scheme, that I copied in the above called folder for every variation of chaos units)#

all I did (awarely) was to change 8 files in :
C:\Programme\THQ\Dawn of War\W40k\Data\team_colours\chaos_marine_race
to my created scheme files from the color editor of the options menu.
names:
alphalegion.teamcolour,blacklegion.teamcolour,deathguard.teamcolour,emperors_children.teamcolour,ironwarriors.teamcolour,night lords.teamcolour,word bearers.teamcolour,world_eaters.teamcolour

phoenix

Postby phoenix at 20 Jan 2006, 16:43

Am I doing wrong or does your idea not work ?

IBBoard
Administrator, Commissar
Administrator
Commissar
Progress to next rank:

38%

Postby IBBoard at 20 Jan 2006, 18:05

Sorry, I must have missed the previous post.

Basic Dawn of War campaign colour schemes need to be changed through the RSH files. If you want to change the colour schemes for that then you'll have to recompile each and every file individually using the WTP tool.

As for the .teamcolours in Dawn of War - where are you saving them? what Mods do you have running at the time? and do they have any effect in the Army Painter?

I'm going to go and have a quick investigate of the teamcolours now and see what I can discover.

[edit] OK, I've found the problem. Although the default races you can choose for a campaign relate to the default colour schemes in the .teamcolour files, they don't actually use those teamcolour files.

Instead, they use the .rtx files that are in the Texture Share SGA (_default_0.rtx through _default_7.rtx). To check it, extract chaos_marine_unit_default_0.rtx and name it ending _default_6.rtx and then play Order campaign 1 in DoW. You should now get Alpha Legion marines running around (including on the intro movie).

Unfortunately, we don't have a .rtx extractor/viewer, and Spooky's RSH Viewer won't handle them (I thought they might be similar to RSHs) so at the moment the only thing you can do is exchange one existing chapter/legion/craftworld/clan/company for another by extracting and renaming the .rtx files.

Sorry

Fizzled

Postby Fizzled at 21 Jan 2006, 05:01

IBBoard wrote:Unfortunately, we don't have a .rtx extractor/viewer, and Spooky's RSH Viewer won't handle them (I thought they might be similar to RSHs) so at the moment the only thing you can do is exchange one existing chapter/legion/craftworld/clan/company for another by extracting and renaming the .rtx files.

It appears the RTX files can be viewed with the Chunky Viewer, though obviously there's still no way to edit them. Though I've been wondering, wouldn't your typical hex editor work for Relic Chunky files? I have to admit, I've never used a hex editor before, so I'm just guessing.

phoenix

Postby phoenix at 21 Jan 2006, 08:02

ok thx

I searched in google.
Is there a special one I should/could use ?

IBBoard
Administrator, Commissar
Administrator
Commissar
Progress to next rank:

38%

Postby IBBoard at 21 Jan 2006, 09:00

Yeah, you can view them with ChunkyViewer (so it gives us a little information about the content of the file) but it's only a formatted version of the headers you can find yourself when you open it with a HexEditor. If you really want to go and change a 512x512 pixel image (possibly more by the time the DDS has its minimaps as well - I don't quite know how DDS works) then feel free to open it with a HexEditor and change each of the 262,144 'pixels' that are made up of four pairs of hex characters (32bit colour) by hand, one by one!

If that's really your style, I use XVI32

Next