MadMaffMan
Nob
Nob
Progress to next rank:

15%

Leman Russ reskin

Postby MadMaffMan at 21 Oct 2005, 01:02

Gah.......

I've just been taking a close look at the Leman Russ model, guess what..............it's got pixel clash. Now there's a shock.........NOT. :evil:

The eagles on the turret and sponson heavy weaps are worst. I think i'll have a crack at a Leman Russ skin next....if only so i can get rid of that damn pixel clash. :)

I think the basic skin could use some extras on it as well as a new camo pattern, does anyone have any suggestions. I have already thought of the obvious....kill markings like rings around the barrel, unit markings on the turret/hull, army badge, war slogans/crew names.

Is there anything else that would look cool. :D
"No Pity! No Remorse! No Beer!"

mel_danes

RE: Leman Russ reskin

Postby mel_danes at 21 Oct 2005, 16:02

You will find some horrible texture issue with WA units, I can't even look at the WTP's for the mega-armour nobs,shudders. I think a clean skin, non camo might look cool for them. Like the Space Marine tanks, oh sorry, tank (they got rid of the other one).

MadMaffMan
Nob
Nob
Progress to next rank:

15%

Postby MadMaffMan at 21 Oct 2005, 18:26

Bring back the Pred with Autocannon and Heavy Bolters, i loved that guy for crowd control against Orks. :twisted:

I like the idea of a clean skin, i've got so caught up with camo that i didn't even think of a nice flat paint job. I've always thought camo for something as big and noisy as a tank is a bit daft, but i guess you take every edge you can in combat. :D

IBBoard
Administrator, Commissar
Administrator
Commissar
Progress to next rank:

38%

Postby IBBoard at 23 Oct 2005, 19:23

Yeah, there are several camo shapes you can go for, or the plain mono-tone style of the Marines.

As for the textures, I'll have to keep an eye on the glitches. I wonder how many of them are original and how many are post-1.4. If anyone wants to, feel free to list the problem areas in a thread so that everyone else knows about them too :)
Out now: Dawn of War Texture/Skin Downloads
At v0.1: WarFoundry (open source, cross-platform, multi-system army creation application)

MadMaffMan
Nob
Nob
Progress to next rank:

15%

Postby MadMaffMan at 03 Nov 2005, 18:38

At last i can get back to skinning.......i hate it when real life gets in the way. :lol:

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b357/ ... c00058.jpg

Here is a screenie of my WIP so far, i've combined primary and secondary into one layer now and hard coloured the eagles and skull icons gold.

Haha......no more pixel clash on the eagles. :D

Now to have a look at adding some extra details to the basic paint scheme before messing around with camo. Just out of interest....how many crew does a Russ have and what positions do they take inside the tank?

I ask because i'm thinking of adding crew names to the skin, starting with the names of my friends and Dow opponents. 8)

IBBoard
Administrator, Commissar
Administrator
Commissar
Progress to next rank:

38%

Postby IBBoard at 03 Nov 2005, 18:45

Ahhh, other people are still alive :D

Looks good - don't know where Secondary normally goes, but all Primary gives that one the right look for a Mars pattern or something.

As for crew, I think it has four crew, possibly five. That I can think of, there are basically one for each weapon (one each for the sponsons) and possibly a driver under the bright green hatch thing. I've read a short story fairly recently that was about Leman Russ (I think) and its crew. Can't remember how many were in it though :\ I'll have to see if I can track it down at some point. I'd just be careful of the names either being lost as too small or else looking like too much 'noice' on the texture.
At v0.1: WarFoundry (open source, cross-platform, multi-system army creation application)

mel_danes

Postby mel_danes at 04 Nov 2005, 05:15

Yeah, another model saved from "Texture Hell". As a lowly skinner, I find Relics callouse disregard for my world annoying. They jacked up more than they fixed in this release.

Good going MMM, at this rate you can start working for the mods<wink wink>.

MadMaffMan
Nob
Nob
Progress to next rank:

15%

Postby MadMaffMan at 04 Nov 2005, 14:03

That would really be something to have one of my skins in a mod, think i'll need some more practice first though. :o

I know what you mean about the quality control (or should i say lack of) on the skins, i get cold shivers down my spine every time i look at the Eldar. Are these probs all new, as i dont remember seeing these glitches before i installed WA? :evil:

IBBoard
Administrator, Commissar
Administrator
Commissar
Progress to next rank:

38%

Postby IBBoard at 04 Nov 2005, 15:41

I think some of them are new - I've seen people comment on most being removed but some new ones being added with the 1.4 patch. It might be something to do with the optimisation of the game engine, but I don't know how :\

As for getting work into Mods, I think the only way I'm managing that is by making my own mods of simple texture changes as races (like the Halved and Quartered Marines) :D

MadMaffMan
Nob
Nob
Progress to next rank:

15%

Postby MadMaffMan at 15 Nov 2005, 22:34

I have been messing around with Photoshop getting back in the swing of skinning after a short break.

I have been looking at making the Leman skin without using camo. What do you think of this???

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b357/ ... c00061.jpg

It's really just a slight alteration to the mono scheme. I wasn't sure i liked it at first, but after seeing it moving in game i'm starting to change my mind. I was thinking of changing the sponsons to secondary as well but wasn't sure if it would start looking like a Space Marine Pred. :shock:

You were right about having crew names, if you have them large enough to read they just look totally wrong. It may work on the Baneblade as it's so much larger than the good ol' LR. :D

I'm working on making the rest of the IG vehicles in mono and colouring the eagles and skulls. Did i read that you have WA now IBBoard??

If so what do you think of it???

IBBoard
Administrator, Commissar
Administrator
Commissar
Progress to next rank:

38%

Postby IBBoard at 16 Nov 2005, 08:15

That new variation of the monotone looks good. I think the Secondary sponsons would look a little odd on most colour schemes :)

As for WA, yeah I've got it and installed it now (got a 1.3 and a 1.4/WA install in separate directories) but I've not played it yet. All I've done so far is make a "Mega Armoured Nobs with Team Colourable Eyes" skin for crystalking on Relic Forums (cos it was so quick)

IBBoard
Administrator, Commissar
Administrator
Commissar
Progress to next rank:

38%

Postby IBBoard at 02 Jan 2006, 19:56

I thought MadMaffMan might post in here (maybe I didn't give him enough time!) but the skin has now been released :)

Download the MadMaffMan Leman Russ texture now!

MadMaffMan
Nob
Nob
Progress to next rank:

15%

Postby MadMaffMan at 03 Jan 2006, 17:50

You beat me to it.... :D

Well it took a long time but i finally got it finished. :shock:

I was wondering whether or not to make the other IG vehicles a mono-colour scheme, what do you think :?:

IBBoard
Administrator, Commissar
Administrator
Commissar
Progress to next rank:

38%

Postby IBBoard at 03 Jan 2006, 18:46

*tries to think of other vehicles and only comes up with Chimera and Baneblade off the top of his head*

Yeah, you could do - it's always best to go for full sets of textures :) You could release them one by one when you get them done and then package them as a full set for anyone who comes along at the end and wants to use them.

Space marine

Postby Space marine at 07 Apr 2006, 11:58

How about a Leman Russ with a small crate of ammo on the back, and they have small messages written on each, such as:
"Happy Birthday", or
"Keep the change" or
"A present from Mars"

Next