Starting skinning and Photoshop 6

mel_danes

RE: Starting skinning and Photoshop 6

Postby mel_danes at 06 Nov 2005, 03:20

Well boys, before you go all nuts on me here. I just touched up the screen cap you gave out MMM. basically I live in the dodge burn tool. The streaks are just burned smudges down from the sign. Using the dodge tool to really crank up the effect of highlights on the sign and burn to push the shadows and add soem places where the sign is conformed to the metal decking.
Basically if you burn around and smudge the color layer around the sign, which I assume is on the detail layer. Then dodge and burn the sign until it looks good.
Being colour blind I have to use the dodge/burn tool for deepening and lightening colour. I can't trust my eyes to pick the right colour.

MadMaffMan
Nob
Nob
Progress to next rank:

15%

Postby MadMaffMan at 13 Nov 2005, 00:12

Cool......dont think i've had any dealings with the dodge and burn tools yet. :D

I'll have to have a practice with them, looks like a much easier way than trying to highlight the detail level with colours.

Once i've had a practice i may try something on my Leman Russ. :lol:
"No Pity! No Remorse! No Beer!"

MadMaffMan
Nob
Nob
Progress to next rank:

15%

Postby MadMaffMan at 11 Jan 2006, 21:31

Is it possible to resize a layer in a PSD document without resizing the whole image :?:

If so, in the name of the Emperor tell me how..... :roll:

IBBoard
Administrator, Commissar
Administrator
Commissar
Progress to next rank:

38%

Postby IBBoard at 14 Jan 2006, 21:23

If you can get it to show extras then the normal arrow will allow you to resize a single layer - just drag the boxes at the corner as you would with any other box you're trying to resize. If you need it, I'll try to be more detailed later but at the moment I'm on my laptop, so no Photoshop for me!
Out now: Dawn of War Texture/Skin Downloads
At v0.1: WarFoundry (open source, cross-platform, multi-system army creation application)

MadMaffMan
Nob
Nob
Progress to next rank:

15%

Postby MadMaffMan at 14 Jan 2006, 21:39

Thats the ticket, it's called 'freeform transform' i think. And it's a damn cite easier than the way i was doing it... :?

Thanks again for the help IBBoard. 8)

MadMaffMan
Nob
Nob
Progress to next rank:

15%

Postby MadMaffMan at 17 Jan 2006, 18:10

I've just extracted the SM scout's WTP file. The TGA's are 512x256 in size, do i need to resize them before trying anything or can they be left as is :?:

IBBoard
Administrator, Commissar
Administrator
Commissar
Progress to next rank:

38%

Postby IBBoard at 17 Jan 2006, 22:34

No, WTP tool needs 512x512 at the moment (until someone makes a replacement!) You'll need to resize all of the layers and then drop the badge back down to a 64x64 square. You'll get a slightly shrunk badge, but it's what LedMirage used for the Insomniax Scout Skin
At v0.1: WarFoundry (open source, cross-platform, multi-system army creation application)

MadMaffMan
Nob
Nob
Progress to next rank:

15%

Postby MadMaffMan at 18 Jan 2006, 20:20

Whats the easiest way to make a new dirt layer, is there some way to change the default layer into a new dirt layer?

Also why are the eyes separate to the face....seems an odd thing to do considering the eyes aren't animated just static.

IBBoard
Administrator, Commissar
Administrator
Commissar
Progress to next rank:

38%

Postby IBBoard at 18 Jan 2006, 21:12

I don't know if there is an easy way to make a new dirt layer. You might be able to talk the default layer, greyscale it, invert it and then threshold it to some level, but I don't think that'd give you all of the right outlines (some of the shadows would be inverted and be light enough to threshold to white/non-TCable) The only other soution is a damned big paint brush with black, overlay a semi-transparent default layer and get painting :D

As for eyes, maybe they're animated in one of the cut scenes? I know the Librarian and Force Commanders eyes are separate, but they're characters. Hadn't really looked at the scout, so I didn't realise they were too. Alternatively, it's for ease of modelling. If you model the eyeballs as simple spheres and texture them separately, it might make modelling the eye area easier.

Previous