Starting skinning and Photoshop 6

MadMaffMan
Nob
Nob
Progress to next rank:

15%

RE: Starting skinning and Photoshop 6

Postby MadMaffMan at 26 Oct 2005, 20:05

Very wise to pick your project first before hosting my skins, i wouldn't want to be responsible for you getting into trouble. :D

I think it'll be a Leman Russ skin next but i'm still making up my mind, i would like to fix all the eagles and skulls on all the Space Marine buildings to gold (no more blue eagles on the HQ's :lol: )

I'm glad you liked the notice on the rear of the Whirlwind, i thought that open area was just screaming to be filled. :P

When i checked the Whirlwind link i see that some of the details and pic are incorrect, did i submit the file wrong. It was rather late at night.........again. :roll:

* note to self *
get more sleep you fool.
"No Pity! No Remorse! No Beer!"

IBBoard
Administrator, Commissar
Administrator
Commissar
Progress to next rank:

38%

Postby IBBoard at 27 Oct 2005, 06:54

The Whirlwind download does have a broken image at the moment (which I'll fix in a sec) but the pics are the pics that you sent me. Just download a copy and see if it's the right package, or tell me and I'll make some new pics if the package is right but the pics are old.
Out now: Dawn of War Texture/Skin Downloads
At v0.1: WarFoundry (open source, cross-platform, multi-system army creation application)

MadMaffMan
Nob
Nob
Progress to next rank:

15%

Postby MadMaffMan at 27 Oct 2005, 17:09

Yep its all ok....

It's just me getting confused, i got too many skin projects plus screenies to go with them at the mo. I cann't see my desktop for icons and folders. :oops:

I've got the flat base layer for the Leman Russ made, now to choose a paint scheme to work on. :wink:

Soz again for the confusion with the files. :D

IBBoard
Administrator, Commissar
Administrator
Commissar
Progress to next rank:

38%

Postby IBBoard at 27 Oct 2005, 19:22

No problem, as long as everything is working fine and correct :)

Good luck with the Leman Russ work, and I can't wait to see it and get yet another skin from you uploaded already :)
At v0.1: WarFoundry (open source, cross-platform, multi-system army creation application)

MadMaffMan
Nob
Nob
Progress to next rank:

15%

Postby MadMaffMan at 28 Oct 2005, 00:29

I see that someone has left feedback about my Land Raider being corrupted???

It works ok on my PC did you have any troubles with it? I see that you took your own screenies of it so i assume that it was working ok.

IBBoard
Administrator, Commissar
Administrator
Commissar
Progress to next rank:

38%

Postby IBBoard at 28 Oct 2005, 08:12

I'm just checking it now. The file downloads and opens fine, I'll post back as an edit in a little while when I've had a chance to test it in-game.

[edit] Nope, just extracted them and ran the game up and they're perfectly fine in the Army Painter. I'm guessing it's just someone who didn't download it fully or something. I'll leave the comment in there and add my reply, but remove the score. Ahhhh, the power of having your own website and being able to change anything :D

[edit 2] OK, vote nulled - read http://skins.hiveworldterra.co.uk/Downl ... s_175.html for what I said.

TGSC
Sergeant
Sergeant
Progress to next rank:

37%

Postby TGSC at 28 Oct 2005, 08:34

Just a comment on the Whirlwind, I like the sign but it looks a bit "stuck on" and not part of the tank. Not sure how to make it more realistic, maybe some feathering on the edge, or make it a bit more transparent in places.

Apart from that, great work :D

IBBoard
Administrator, Commissar
Administrator
Commissar
Progress to next rank:

38%

Postby IBBoard at 28 Oct 2005, 10:14

I think we need to convert this into "MadMaffMan's Work Thread" :D Unless anyone has any issues with that then I'll change the subject later (or MadMaffMan should be able to do it, since his is the first post)

MadMaffMan
Nob
Nob
Progress to next rank:

15%

Postby MadMaffMan at 28 Oct 2005, 12:47

IBBoard : Thanks for checking, that had me worried there for a minute. Thought maybe i'd screwed up big time. :shock:

Don't let having all this power over the website draw you to the dark side of the force.....look what happened to Ani in Star Wars. :lol:

TGSC : Hello, thanks for the ideas on the Whirlwind. I've been looking at that as well. I like the idea of feathering the sign i hadn't thought of that, i guess there are lots of tricks i have yet to try out. :D
I may reduce the size of the sign as well to make it look more realistic, trouble then is it's harder to read any text on it. :?:

mel_danes

Postby mel_danes at 28 Oct 2005, 14:17

If you try smudging up the dirt map around the sign it will help it blend better. Add some manual highlights and shadows as well. Another easy way to get it to "stick" is add some rivets to it, then add some waterstain drip effects.

Good job on the Whirlwind though, I hated that vehicle, the rear "fender" is screwed up. Oh well, keep at it Madd Maff Skinnin' King.

MadMaffMan
Nob
Nob
Progress to next rank:

15%

Postby MadMaffMan at 04 Nov 2005, 01:42

I've been having a crack at making the sign on the rear of the Whirlwind look more like a part of the vehicle and less like a large transfer.

I tried smudging the dirt layer as Mel Danes suggested, i think it looks better now. But i'm still not sure about reducing the size of the sign?

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b357/ ... c00060.jpg

See what you guys think. :D

mel_danes

Postby mel_danes at 04 Nov 2005, 05:08

Much better MMM. You name sounds good, I like pie MMM. Anyway I have done a quick version of what I mean by dodging and burning to get a better effect. Maybe it works maybe not. But visual critique is so much nicer.

IBBoard
Administrator, Commissar
Administrator
Commissar
Progress to next rank:

38%

Postby IBBoard at 04 Nov 2005, 09:53

Yeah, thats looking better, MMM. Mel's goes that one stop further and adds a bit of weathering to it as well, though :D

MadMaffMan
Nob
Nob
Progress to next rank:

15%

Postby MadMaffMan at 04 Nov 2005, 13:44

Cor.....that looks smashing Mel, your just to damn good. 8)

How did you get those effects then. :?: Just by touching up the default and colourlayers. :?: And which tools did you use. :?:

Sorry about all the questions but i would love to be able to do that. :D

IBBoard
Administrator, Commissar
Administrator
Commissar
Progress to next rank:

38%

Postby IBBoard at 04 Nov 2005, 15:43

Yeah, thats the bit I'd like to be able to do too. I've got a few hints from Hangar-8 with badges and banners (using "overlay" layers) and I know when things don't quite look right, but I'm too logical and don't have the artistic skills to know how to properly change it from "not looking right" to "looking right" :D

PreviousNext