IBBoard
Administrator, Commissar
Administrator
Commissar
Progress to next rank:

38%

RE: Starting skinning and Photoshop 6

Postby IBBoard at 14 Oct 2005, 09:38

I've added your Marine Heroes now, and added a link to Hangar-8's Force Command with Powersword so that people can get a copy of that to finish the set :) I thought the Powersword version was better to link to than the pack for all infantry ;)
Out now: Dawn of War Texture/Skin Downloads
At v0.1: WarFoundry (open source, cross-platform, multi-system army creation application)

MadMaffMan
Nob
Nob
Progress to next rank:

15%

Postby MadMaffMan at 14 Oct 2005, 13:40

Thanks for hosting the skins. :D

I use the FC with the powersword as well. Thats a very nice effect that Hanger got with the glowing sword. 8)

I have started to mess around with the Guard skins now.

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b357/ ... c00034.jpg

The first skin is nearly ready as you can see in the pic, I've moved the face mask to secondary and the helmet to the weaps layer, but i'm toying with the idea of fixing the weaps colour so that you dont have to have matching helmet/lasguns. The prob is some people dont like having the guns fixed to just the one colour. :?

What do you guys think?
"No Pity! No Remorse! No Beer!"

IBBoard
Administrator, Commissar
Administrator
Commissar
Progress to next rank:

38%

Postby IBBoard at 14 Oct 2005, 14:21

No problem with the hosting, that's what I'm here for :)

For the Guard, Black Lasguns tend to work well with just about all regiments, or at least don't work badly with any I can think of. The screenshot is strange colours (to get the distinction) but the idea works well :)

Are you going to release the Marine vehicles soon, or have the Guard jumped infront? :D
At v0.1: WarFoundry (open source, cross-platform, multi-system army creation application)

MadMaffMan
Nob
Nob
Progress to next rank:

15%

Postby MadMaffMan at 14 Oct 2005, 14:33

Yes i like black as a standard colour as well but i have seen red and green used as well. :shock:

I'm still fine tuning the SM's Land Raider pattern, i am trying out having the side doors in the secondary colour instead of the weapon sponsons. :? And i may try and fix the eagle and skulls a gold colour (just as it should be on all Imperial wargear, if i see another blue eagle i may cry :P )

I also have some Eldar skins that a friend wants me to do, and I have taken a liking to the Imperial Guard. :lol:

What have i started........... :?:

IBBoard
Administrator, Commissar
Administrator
Commissar
Progress to next rank:

38%

Postby IBBoard at 14 Oct 2005, 18:21

I don't know what you've started, but it sounds like you've got a lot of 'it' to go :D Skinning is great, just as long as you can get enough time doing it and can get it to look how you want :)

As for lasguns, yeah there are a few different "standard" colours, but just like with Space Marines, if you really need one fixed colour then black is the classic one and is likely to work with more colour schemes than most other colours.

One thing I thought of - can I take your request off the To Do list now? :)

MadMaffMan
Nob
Nob
Progress to next rank:

15%

Postby MadMaffMan at 14 Oct 2005, 19:41

Blimey i forgot they were on the 'To Do' list.

Yes they can be removed now. :D

I like the side hatch's of the Land Raider in secondary as well as the weapon sponsons. But i think thats it or else it'll become a bit of a mish-mash of colours. Less is more....thats my motto. :lol:

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b357/ ... c00037.jpg

I have done some Eldar Guardians for a friend, i copied the pics from the GW site to the pixel. Do you want them or have you already got some like this?

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b357/ ... c00036.jpg

The helmet and gun are in secondary everything else is primary and the combat knife is still weaps.

Now back to colouring those eagles. :P

mel_danes

Postby mel_danes at 14 Oct 2005, 22:37

MadMaffMan- See I knew you had it in you. Pretty soon you'll be doing crazy army painter experiments, we all had to start somewhere. It get real fun when you begin to define new sets for the different parts. LIke a trim colored arm band on the IG, so the band chenges colour but eh rest of the arm is secondary. Stuff like that is real fun. It really makes the model your own. Keep at it and have fun.

MadMaffMan
Nob
Nob
Progress to next rank:

15%

Postby MadMaffMan at 15 Oct 2005, 01:02

Thanks Mel Danes. :lol:

You were spot on about select masking then using colour balance to fix the eagles and skulls to gold. I have fixed the whole lot. There's not a single one left on the trim that i can find. :D

I'm going to take her out on a couple of shake down skirmishes then I'll submit her.

Strange you should mention 'crazy army painter experiments', i've been thinking about how to do a tri-colour IG camo scheme, including flak vest and helmet.

I did try replacing all the IG guardsmens faces with just the ski-mask face (trying for a chem-world regiment look). How was i to know that the model is face specific......i ended up with guardsmen who had ski-masks with noses. :P

Oh well....back to the drawing board with that one. :oops:

mel_danes

Postby mel_danes at 15 Oct 2005, 03:27

On a WA note has anyone noticed that the Dred is still not fixed! And from what I can tell the flamer is now all jacked up as well. What the hell happened to quality assurance. AArrghhh...

On topic, Iook forward to your camo designs MMM. Have you made any announcements over at Relic forums, so people know to look for your work?

IBBoard
Administrator, Commissar
Administrator
Commissar
Progress to next rank:

38%

Postby IBBoard at 15 Oct 2005, 07:17

MadMaffMan: Good work, the Land Raider looks good with the door in Secondary :) With screenshots, if you use something like ctrl+sh*t+' to bring up the console, then you can hide everything by typing "taskbar_hide" and hitting enter, hit ctrl+shift+' again to close the console, take the screenshot and then repeat with "taskbar_show". That's how Hangar-8 gets his in-game ones :)

As for the Eldar, yeah, go for it, we've not got anything like that as far as I know :) One thing that you might not know, though - if you don't use a layer, you don't need the layer. So if you've taken everything off the Trim layer of the Eldar then you can delete the TGA file for it before you recompile - even though it was in there before, it doesn't have to be in there

Mel: He's not made any announcements as far as I've seen, but with some of the work, I think he should :) Although then you've got to watch out for people asking you to make them things :D

MadMaffMan
Nob
Nob
Progress to next rank:

15%

Postby MadMaffMan at 15 Oct 2005, 11:39

Mel : Yeah they seem to have streamlined the models as well as the gameplay. Have you noticed the little things like the gun cameras on top of the weapon sponsons? They no longer track with the gun but just stare staright ahead. It's the little details like that that gave the game its charm. :roll:
I know they did it to allow low spec PC's play the game but is there a way for me to go back to the old models, just for single player use as i imagine that it would cause multi-player issues.

IBBoard: Thanks for the tips, i shall try them out later today i hope. And no i haven't posted anything on the Relic forums yet.
For some reason the Relic forums dont like my PC much, they can take forever to load, sometimes they even just lockup my comp. I have heard that others have had this prob and Relic are going to improve the forums!!!!!! :shock:

Thanks again to both of you for all your help. :D

P.S. Anymore pics of the Waaagh! Grimjaw???

IBBoard
Administrator, Commissar
Administrator
Commissar
Progress to next rank:

38%

Postby IBBoard at 15 Oct 2005, 11:45

The physical models? Maybe, depends when I get a chance with good enough light :D

As for the Relic Forums, try posting early morning when there are less Americans online. The Relic Forums have been a little swamped since the release of WA and it's slowing their forums down a lot (they've removed search functionality for that reason), but as with most of the Net it seems to be faster when the Americans are asleep :) Locking up your comp completely is a little worrying though :shock:

MadMaffMan
Nob
Nob
Progress to next rank:

15%

Postby MadMaffMan at 15 Oct 2005, 12:49

I think my PC locked up because i was doing to much all at once. :oops:

I just noticed that the gun cameras do track with the gun.....but only once there is a target. Shouldn't the camera track all the time or how else will the gunner see a target whilst scanning the area. :shock:

I seem to remember them tracking all of the time......maybe i'm drinking to much coffee. :D

IBBoard
Administrator, Commissar
Administrator
Commissar
Progress to next rank:

38%

Postby IBBoard at 15 Oct 2005, 14:09

You know you drink too much coffee when you say "only half a cup, then" and still need need most of the jar of instant coffee ;) (me, read too much Garfield? no :D)

As for the tracking - yeah, cameras should track with guns, but I can't say I paid attention to whether they did or didn't before. I'll try and see next time I get to play DoW (I'm still on 1.3)

MadMaffMan
Nob
Nob
Progress to next rank:

15%

Postby MadMaffMan at 15 Oct 2005, 19:38

Well i think the Land Raider is ready to submit. :D

I see that i can only submit files under 2MB, the LR when zipped up using max compression is 2.5MB!

How do i submit it? :?

Also i was going to submit the Eldar skin and the Imperial Guardsman skin. As i understand it you haven't got WA yet, do you want me to include some screenies? This will make the zip a larger file but i can do it if you want me to.

TTFN

PreviousNext