Suggestions for new skins (16 skins to do)

mel_danes

RE: Suggestions for new skins (16 skins to do)

Postby mel_danes at 26 Dec 2005, 06:58

Well I think Robert would not mind. He is pretty open to that type of thing usually. Just send him a pm and ask. As for location

...Dawn of War\steel_legion\Data_Shared_Textures\Full\art\ebps\races\steel_legion\texture_share

All the WTP's are there.

Merry Christmahanakwanzica!

sunray

Postby sunray at 29 Dec 2005, 04:13

mel_danes,

Thanks for the advice, and the information.

MadMaffMan,

If someone will do the camo, I will ask. However, there is no point in asking if no one wants to do it. I have not got the skills. Do I hear anyone offering?

regards

sunray
:) :)

IBBoard
Administrator, Commissar
Administrator
Commissar
Progress to next rank:

38%

Postby IBBoard at 30 Dec 2005, 17:22

It's an interesting idea to camo the Steel Legion - although I don't have the time at the moment. Anyone else is willing to ask the SL team and post their progress here :)

WTPs are slightly more awkward for Mods, and I've got to find a way that will work for when I do my next version of the Pattern Switcher. What I'm hoping is that they can be dropped into the W40K folder under the correct race name, but I'm thinking it might not work and that the mod will override it. I'll find a way :)
Out now: Dawn of War Texture/Skin Downloads
At v0.1: WarFoundry (open source, cross-platform, multi-system army creation application)

MadMaffMan
Nob
Nob
Progress to next rank:

15%

Postby MadMaffMan at 30 Dec 2005, 22:13

sunray

I'm affraid i'm up to my ears with my own nefarious plans at the mo'.

If you can get your hands on a prog like Photoshop you should have a go yourself, if a muppet like me can do it then anyone can. :lol:

IBBoard

Are there any Black Templar skins about? Using the latest GW models as a basis, they would look damn cool kicking butt in WA. :D
"No Pity! No Remorse! No Beer!"

IBBoard
Administrator, Commissar
Administrator
Commissar
Progress to next rank:

38%

Postby IBBoard at 31 Dec 2005, 11:16

Nope, no BT skins that I know of (nothing with all of the extra detail). I think that because skins change all models of that race, most people don't bother with anything too specific.

If you're planning on making one, I'll host it :)
At v0.1: WarFoundry (open source, cross-platform, multi-system army creation application)

Grenadier

Postby Grenadier at 15 Jan 2006, 15:56

Is anybody working on WW2 skins? That's one thing I'd like to see working with this game engine.

TGSC
Sergeant
Sergeant
Progress to next rank:

37%

Postby TGSC at 15 Jan 2006, 16:20

Not sure what the GW's attitude is for non fantasy stuff but if you're doing other fantasy/SF stuff like Star Wars you have to do a total conversion, not mix and match. Although how enforceable it is I don't know. They could send you a cease and desist letter but I'm not sure what it is that's illegal.

But WW2 skins could be cool, although the models might look a bit odd.

And beware on Nazi symbols, they're not allowed in some European countries, not sure how that applies with a Europe/US game or whatever, just something to bear in mind.

IBBoard
Administrator, Commissar
Administrator
Commissar
Progress to next rank:

38%

Postby IBBoard at 15 Jan 2006, 19:47

Nazi is banned in Germany and France, as far as I know. Or maybe it was banned in Germany and so Germans hopped the border to France and the French eBay for Nazi items, I can't remember.

As for WW2 skins, as TGSC said (still keeping up Moderator mode :D) Games Workshop legal might be a bit picky about them. Anything that isn't from the GW Universes needs to be a total conversion. If you want mechanised/gas masks (slightly WW1 with the gas masks, but more WW2 with the heavy machinery) try the Dawn of Steel: Steel Legions mod.

Without altering the models, though, I don't know what you could do to make skins look more WW2-esque. Any suggestions would be great, and then we can see whether we could get away with it within Games Workshops IP Policy :)

TGSC
Sergeant
Sergeant
Progress to next rank:

37%

Postby TGSC at 16 Jan 2006, 12:52

In the way of ebay, I think they were trying to stop Nazi memorabilia being sold on ebay.fr, but there are extensive anti-Nazi legeslatures in some European countries, and games like Wolfenstein have been changed for the german market.

Also, Steel Legion :O

SisterHelios
Guardsman (Decorated)
Guardsman (Decorated)
Progress to next rank:

15%

Postby SisterHelios at 01 Mar 2006, 05:47

Well my little suggestion for a new skin would go like this:

The arms,starting from the shoulder plates,down to the hands,and feet up to the knee guards can be linked for one color,the torso,helm,the rest of the legs,and back pack can be used for another.
then the eyed arrow and weapon should be as normal for DoWWA,just a small Idea..that I don't know how to work. :D

IBBoard
Administrator, Commissar
Administrator
Commissar
Progress to next rank:

38%

Postby IBBoard at 01 Mar 2006, 07:28

Any chance of an example impage - maybe from the GW online Marine Painter or something?

SisterHelios
Guardsman (Decorated)
Guardsman (Decorated)
Progress to next rank:

15%

Postby SisterHelios at 02 Mar 2006, 03:02

I can try,but might take me a while to paint a marine and let a friend of mine take a picture of one,I know it sounds hard,but its fairly simple,I just suck explaining things lol

TGSC
Sergeant
Sergeant
Progress to next rank:

37%

Postby TGSC at 02 Mar 2006, 11:35

I think he means this

SisterHelios
Guardsman (Decorated)
Guardsman (Decorated)
Progress to next rank:

15%

Postby SisterHelios at 02 Mar 2006, 23:32

I wish I could read what you said theres this huge Banner like thingy posted over what you wrote..its strange ita on all your posts too.

IBBoard
Administrator, Commissar
Administrator
Commissar
Progress to next rank:

38%

Postby IBBoard at 03 Mar 2006, 10:16

That'd be his sig, and it shouldn't be over his posts :\ What browser are you using? I'm guessing the styling messed up (and since Firefox is rendering it OK I'm guessing it's IE)

TGSC's post was:
I think he means this

[edit] Hmmmm, so it does. IE really does suck when it comes to doing anything remotely non-basic correctly :roll: I'll fix it now

[edi2] OK, it's fixed now. No matter what I changed in the styles, IE wouldn't show it correctly, but never once did Firefox show it incorrectly. Semantically, the code isn't quite how I'd like it (sigs are <div> tags now, they were <blockquote>) but at least it works in IE.

I can't wait until IE7 is released - hopefully they'll be able to do CSS properly then...

PreviousNext