Forcing a single colour scheme for a race?

Danimator

RE: Forcing a single colour scheme for a race?

Postby Danimator at 04 Aug 2005, 22:37

Hi,

I've been working on a mod for a while just for my son's use and for his mates and I want them to play only as Chaos Black Legion.

As this is already a standard skin for DoW I don't need to make a new one but I would like to disable all other options inc. if necessary the army painter.

Is this possible?

The desired result is that when they start the mod, they have no other option - or any way round it - other than to play as Black Legion.

I look forward to any help I can get.

Thanks guys. :D

mel_danes

Postby mel_danes at 04 Aug 2005, 23:28

I assume, this mod you have created, is 1.3 compatible and uses the mod manager. If so when they choose to play it and then choose the Black Legion race from the drop down the only units they should see are the ones you put in there. The color scheme files in your mod will determine the default color setup. If they choose the regular chaos race instead of the mod race, they will get all the regular options IE: Alpha Legion - World Eaters. There may be a way to code around this though. Try Edcase over at the Relic forums if no one here can help out.

Danimator

Postby Danimator at 04 Aug 2005, 23:44

Nope, I'm still on 1.2 on my main pc although I have put 1.3 on my laptop now (no more lan games for a few weeks :( )

So, no Mod manager but the default team is Black Legion.

The problem is anyone playing the mod can then go into army painter make a new scheme flurenscent Green, save it and the whole effect is ruined to my mind as you have squads called Black Legion this, Black Legion that and yet the're running round bright Green with Green buildings etc.

Can I make army painter unavailabe when playing my mod?

I suppose the other way is to make textures for everything but this is a huge job considering the standard colours are fine.

I am trying to get this finished off on 1.2 so I can then work on converting it to 1.3. I know I could switch now but I'd rather have a working version for both patches.

Thanks Mel.

mel_danes

Postby mel_danes at 05 Aug 2005, 00:14

Well texture wise you could just make an RSH file and point it at that or simply redo the WTP all in default colors, IE Black Legion. It should'nt take to long. Then they can army painter all they want and it only effects the buildings and vehicles. Still though this is a good question. Can the army painter be neutered? Hhmmm... I may go ask the boyz.

Danimator

Postby Danimator at 05 Aug 2005, 00:19

Yeh, thats the trouble, the buildings vehicles, everything would have to be textured to keep the right look.

If you could ask the boyz I'd appreciate it. Thanks.

IBBoard
Administrator, Commissar
Administrator
Commissar
Progress to next rank:

38%

Postby IBBoard at 05 Aug 2005, 07:16

I've never modded, especially not the Army Painter, but I get the feeling it wouldn't be possible. The only way that I can see is to extract all of the Chaos Race into a new mod and then, like Mel_Danes said, repaint all of the WTPs so that they've got a default layer that is hard-coded to Black Legion colours and then a plain white Dirt layer (because you have to have one). Then, when the mod is run, the new WTPs will override the old WTPs and the units will all be a fixed colour for Chaos. You can do it for vehicles and buildings as well - anything that is team colourable has a WTP file, it's just that no one has tried anything with buildings, despite Sir On The Edge suggesting it.

And now to split this off into a new topic :)
Out now: Dawn of War Texture/Skin Downloads
At v0.1: WarFoundry (open source, cross-platform, multi-system army creation application)

Danimator

Postby Danimator at 05 Aug 2005, 09:30

Thought I had found a solution for a few minutes.

I just deleted all team preview entries in racebsp/new_race and this in effect stopped the army painter being used. If you clicked on it, it crashed to desktop so it was disabled - even if the method was a bit drastic.

The game still started though and Black Legion was the only selection in the drop down menu so all looked good......then the game started and the team was not Black Legion.

So if anyone ever disables the army painter by this - and probably any other - method, the teams will switch to their default colours. In the case of Chaos, Gold with Green emblem on their shoulders (sorry, I don't know the team colours name).

Back to the drawing board....:(

IBBoard
Administrator, Commissar
Administrator
Commissar
Progress to next rank:

38%

Postby IBBoard at 05 Aug 2005, 12:20

Gold with green emblems? sounds Nurgle-esque. Didn't realise that was a default. Sorry your idea didn't work though :\ I think that unless someone can find a way to force a specific .teamcolour file then you might be stuck with hard-coded WTPs for everything
Out now: Dawn of War Texture/Skin Downloads
At v0.1: WarFoundry (open source, cross-platform, multi-system army creation application)

Danimator

Postby Danimator at 05 Aug 2005, 12:59

Next time I speak to Rob, I'll ask him if the Blood Angels team looked at this problem. I know they have approx. 9 Blood Angel skins to choose from. Maybe by doing this people stick with one of these but I think they can still make diff. colours if they want.

Anyway I'm risking flogging this thread to death so unless I solve the problem, or some-one else does I'll leave it in peace. Thanks for all the input though. :)

mel_danes

Postby mel_danes at 06 Aug 2005, 23:29

Nothing On my front as yet. Try Hanger 8 on Relic. He did the army painter mod for us skin people. He would be my best choice for advice. I'll keep looking.

Danimator

Postby Danimator at 06 Aug 2005, 23:34

Thanks for trying Mel, it's appreciated. :)