IBBoard
Administrator, Commissar
Administrator
Commissar
Progress to next rank:

38%

New Winter Assault skin for the website

Postby IBBoard at 20 Jul 2005, 07:45

Winter Assault will be released soon (well, soon-ish anyway :D) and I wanted to use a Winter Assault skin on my site for a while once it is released. Someone on the Relic Forums released some snow textures for use on maps, so I made use of them and tried to get some screenshots.

Now, I'm going to keep the design, but I'm not so sure about the colour scheme. I've uploaded a static version of the new Winter Assault site skin, but I was wondering if people could help with colours (what might need changing). I will have a logo as well as the Marine in the final version, and the blend from Marine to blur will be smoother and more gradual, but it's more the colours that I'm bothered about (ignoring the mismatched sloped corners if you're using just about anything but IE - I'm lazy and didn't want to re-do them yet :D)
Out now: Dawn of War Texture/Skin Downloads
At v0.1: WarFoundry (open source, cross-platform, multi-system army creation application)

mel_danes

RE: New Winter Assault skin for the website

Postby mel_danes at 21 Jul 2005, 12:07

Good idea and a good start. I'd probably just sample some color from the promo art. I would love to help with color's but I'm color blind like a dog, sorry.

IBBoard
Administrator, Commissar
Administrator
Commissar
Progress to next rank:

38%

Postby IBBoard at 21 Jul 2005, 12:54

Yeah, might have to track down some promo art - all I know of so far is half a header on the official game site and a collection of screenshots at various gaming websites!
At v0.1: WarFoundry (open source, cross-platform, multi-system army creation application)

IBBoard
Administrator, Commissar
Administrator
Commissar
Progress to next rank:

38%

Postby IBBoard at 04 Aug 2005, 07:47

OK, I've got a new version - colours pulled from the official WA image (because they are more snowy colours) but still using my images. It needs a bit of minor tweaking because for some reason the images don't lign up properly, but it's looking better:

http://skins.hiveworldterra.co.uk/SkinsAtHWT_WA3.html

mel_danes

Postby mel_danes at 05 Aug 2005, 00:31

This looks good. Does not hurt the eyes, thank you so much. Coming along nicely. :D

IBBoard
Administrator, Commissar
Administrator
Commissar
Progress to next rank:

38%

Postby IBBoard at 05 Aug 2005, 07:20

Good, glad it's better for you :)

I've asked Hangar-8 and a few other people in his Banners and Badges thread to come and have a look at the new skin and give opinions. Hopefully I'll get something useful from them as well :) then all it needs is for me to do the background images again (this time taking the background from the Force Commander image after I've resized it, rather than resizing everything independantly, I think that might help) and it's good to go :)

Next up will probably be some dark (grey/black) skin that'll probably have a Chaos image at the top :) although that's just a very vague idea for now!

IBBoard
Administrator, Commissar
Administrator
Commissar
Progress to next rank:

38%

Postby IBBoard at 16 Aug 2005, 07:08

Following comments from TGSC on my Blog, I've done another version, this time with a more blurry and less defined repeating section so that it's more like the normal skin and a bit more subtle in the header:

http://skins.hiveworldterra.co.uk/SkinsAtHWT_WA4.html

I've still got to decide whether to keep the logo as it is, or whether to use the Civic font like normal and then stamp "Winter Assault" over it. That'll hopefully come later :)

IBBoard
Administrator, Commissar
Administrator
Commissar
Progress to next rank:

38%

Postby IBBoard at 22 Aug 2005, 11:46

I think I now have a final design (I've got a new logo for it, more in-keeping with the WA logo and the current Skins@HWT logo):

http://skins.hiveworldterra.co.uk/SkinsAtHWT_WA5.html

Comments please :)

Although I might have put it up by the time I get comments :D I'm thinking either tomorrow (1 month before release) or friday (4 weeks before release).

I'll also try to do the forums at some point as well (and finally get round to doing the buttons!)

mel_danes

Postby mel_danes at 23 Aug 2005, 22:25

I think you have got it, looks good.

IBBoard
Administrator, Commissar
Administrator
Commissar
Progress to next rank:

38%

Postby IBBoard at 24 Aug 2005, 06:56

Thanks :) Like I said, just got to migrate the colour scheme to the forums as well at some point, and add the skin changing mod so guests can do it too