No more DoWFiles.com - Say No to banners and popups!

IBBoard
Administrator, Commissar
Administrator
Commissar
Progress to next rank:

38%

No more DoWFiles.com - Say No to banners and popups!

Postby IBBoard at 16 Jul 2005, 07:55

Just a quick not for anyone with skins that they want adding to the list. I've now migrated all downloads away from DoWFiles.com and will not link to them in future.

Although Skins@HWT started on a DoWFiles account, I was forced to host everything over 400K (so all skins that I've ever found) on the main site and link to the downloads page. I carried this on for a while when I moved to a new domain, but hosting most of the smaller skins here because I wanted to avoid the banners and popups as much as possible. Now that I've finished mirroring everything at Skins@HWT (including my halved skin) I will no longer link to DoWFiles for a download (or any other site that has too many banners or any popups for that matter)

All HiveWorldTerra.co.uk sites will remain 100% popup free and 99.999% advert free. I may include one or two very small buttons, but no more than a 100x75 pixel area on a page, and that's at the very most. I currently have a text link to my host that might become a small button image, and I might put an affiliate shop link in, but no banners, no popups or popunders, no floating images that act like popups but are on the page, no banners, no to anything annoying and advertising like that :)

I hope the lack of links to DoWFiles.com doesn't cause a problem for anyone, and I hope you believe in avoiding annoying advertising as much as I do.
Out now: Dawn of War Texture/Skin Downloads
At v0.1: WarFoundry (open source, cross-platform, multi-system army creation application)

mel_danes

RE: No more DoWFiles.com - Say No to banners and popups!

Postby mel_danes at 17 Jul 2005, 00:28

Great news! :D I damn well hate my popup blocker going into overdrive everytime I go there for a news update. So you think cool, my blocker stopped the 20 PSP adds, what? :evil: Wait...is that a camera clicking? Why yes it's the shoot the press guy chasing Brad Pitt, lucky bastard, or the swat the fly flash crap.

I appreciate what the DoWFiles guys are doing, the site just drives me nuts.

I will most likely release all my future texture works through you IBB, if that is cool?

IBBoard
Administrator, Commissar
Administrator
Commissar
Progress to next rank:

38%

RE: No more DoWFiles.com - Say No to banners and popups!

Postby IBBoard at 17 Jul 2005, 07:31

Yeah, that'd be great :) I was hoping some of the people here might go exclusive to Skins@HWT but I didn't want to be cheeky and ask :D I'm going to go exclusive soon - get a few more people knowing about the site and a few more links and then ask them to remove my halved scheme. They already seem to have realised that my site is redirecting and removed my site link off their pages.

Until the end of September (with the exception of a few weekends when I might be visiting the g/fs or my family) then I should hopefully be able to get stuff up within a day :)

But I know what you mean with the Flash adverts that make noise. I've had a look at the Kerrang forums before now when my brother (TGSC) pointed me to an interesting thread or something and then began to wonder what the strange swooshy noises were. It ended up being a Matrix advert (that did have a mute button, but you had to go and mute it - it was opt-out of sound not opt-in :\ ) which got a little annoying after a few pages with the same or similar adverts on. Luckily I've got Firefox with AdBlock installed, so I can just tell it to block entire subfolders to stop adverts, so part of its list is of things to block is:

which blocks all Casal Media and Burstnet ads (which are quite common on the net, I think), all adverts put in an iFrame on File Front websites and all Underground Online adverts for Hasbro :) (I think the hasbro one must have been me blocking an annoying advert on DoWFiles before I just blanket blocked all adverts from them!). Firefox most definately has its advantages over IE, even more so for me when I'm doing website work :)
Out now: Dawn of War Texture/Skin Downloads
At v0.1: WarFoundry (open source, cross-platform, multi-system army creation application)