IBBoard
Administrator, Commissar
Administrator
Commissar
Progress to next rank:

38%

RE: New skin: Quartered marines

Postby IBBoard at 03 Aug 2005, 07:40

"done you right"? huh? is that some strange American saying that I'm not following :D That is an amazingly clean and crisp colour scheme though, very well painted.

Good to see you back :)
Out now: Dawn of War Texture/Skin Downloads
At v0.1: WarFoundry (open source, cross-platform, multi-system army creation application)

mel_danes

Postby mel_danes at 03 Aug 2005, 09:35

We colonials are a funny breed are we not?
You were the first person I could think of when I saw it.
I spend a lot of time over at Warseer/Portent. Painting, rumors, and the general chat sections. I am just now starting to recover from a wonderful cold I got at Gamesday Chicago. Yes a wonderful thing colds. I've been talking to Edcase over at the forums, hoping to get something going soon.

IBBoard
Administrator, Commissar
Administrator
Commissar
Progress to next rank:

38%

Postby IBBoard at 03 Aug 2005, 13:19

Glad you're feeling better :) shame about Portent though, it was a good site when it was going (although I always wondered how they got hold of the insider info!) I've not been to any forums for ages, though (TheWarp.net were the only major ones I've visited, and the community spirit was, shall we say, lacking)

As for EdCase, I've just PMed him today asking about how he made new clone races for DoW :D I want to make this quartered patter, the halved pattern and the Mentor Legion (plus maybe a few others) available as a Mod so that they're identical races structure wise, but different races texture wise :)

I've got 160GB bandwidth, so hosting them as well shouldn't be a problem. I just about managed to use 5GB last month and if I pay another $20 before the 23rd August then I can double my limit up to 320GB bandwidth! and that's a one off fee :D I already got it doubled for free when I signed up for the hosting as a "hand your money over to us" incentive and then doubled it when the offer first started, so I'm now on the same disk space as the lowest available reseller account and bandwidth in between "giga" and "tera" reseller, all for the price of the smallest package they do :D makes me wonder how Micfo can make money and still have great performance, good quality support and rave reviews everywhere.
At v0.1: WarFoundry (open source, cross-platform, multi-system army creation application)

mel_danes

Postby mel_danes at 04 Aug 2005, 00:10

I and my wife used to make websites. It was good work, cropping can be real fun depending on what you are looking at. We used a reseller account over here in the states. When you were looking for hosting I was saying these guys are killing each other for business. I'm glad you found one of the more competitive and compitent ones.
As for a skin mod. I have been looking into this. The implications are great individuality / massive download. Have you halved and quartered the structures yet? If not or if you have no intention of doing so I think that could save you considerable space right there. Personally I think the structures being one of the things we see the most new looks for them is not bad. Either way I await your impressive results.

IBBoard
Administrator, Commissar
Administrator
Commissar
Progress to next rank:

38%

Postby IBBoard at 04 Aug 2005, 07:27

I've got the tutorial from EdCase now and I did find something in one topic about inheriting rather than copying stats (in case Relic rebalance something, it's better to inherit :) ) but I was just planning on doing the troops that are changed and then leaving the other things inheriting directly from the Marines (model and all)

Buildings I wasn't going to bother with yet - I've not got any amazing ideas on how halved buildings would look - although I think Sir on the Edge did mention the idea on the Relic forums recently. I also want to finish my Grimjaw Orks (eye coloured warpaint on the jaw, fixed red eyes) and Codex Eldar first, then I might think more about the buildings :)

But another quarter gig of bandwidth yesterday - even though that'd still only leave me on about 7-8GB per month, I think this third upgrade to 320GB might be useful, especially if I do manage to get these races sorted :) I suppose they're probably still raking in the money, though, minimum of $6 per person per month on a server that hosts around 100 people (less if those people buy the upgrades and make use of them) still leaves a hell of a lot of money each month! I'm just intrigued when a guy on the company forums called Amir (I think he's the boss - or important management at least) said he was glad people liked this "small" offer - what's a large offer then? :D

mel_danes

Postby mel_danes at 26 Aug 2005, 00:15

IBBoard
Administrator, Commissar
Administrator
Commissar
Progress to next rank:

38%

Postby IBBoard at 26 Aug 2005, 18:41

Very impressive - some nice crisp clean lines and great highlighting on those. I've had a quick start (i.e. done the backpack!) of a "Clean Space Marine" skin. Basically standard Space Marines but without all of the scuffs and wear, showing them as the pristine Warriors of the Imperium that they should be and are most of the time on the table top :)

MadMaffMan
Nob
Nob
Progress to next rank:

15%

Postby MadMaffMan at 26 Aug 2005, 22:24

Very nice......wish I could paint like that.

I may have to start painting again........ :)
"No Pity! No Remorse! No Beer!"

Previous