IBBoard
Administrator, Commissar
Administrator
Commissar
Progress to next rank:

38%

New skin: Quartered marines

Postby IBBoard at 04 Jul 2005, 22:20

To follow on from my Halved Marines I'm going to be releasing my Quartered Marines shortly (I've got a few last touch ups to do, but most of the major work is now done). I'll add them to Skins@HWT and post some screenies when they're up :)

The skins aren't anywhere near as good as Mel_Danes or Sandwich - partly because I'm not doing anything fancy and partly because both of my skins now show up the awkward ways in which Relic re-use textures on some areas!
Out now: Dawn of War Texture/Skin Downloads
At v0.1: WarFoundry (open source, cross-platform, multi-system army creation application)

IBBoard
Administrator, Commissar
Administrator
Commissar
Progress to next rank:

38%

RE: New skin: Quartered marines

Postby IBBoard at 05 Jul 2005, 20:31

OK, here are the first look images. I've still got to do some changes to the Apothecary and Librarian and see if I can improve the split on part of the Terminators, but other than that it's all done! All pics are taken quickly from the Army Painter with fairly high compression and a Howling Griffons colour scheme. Note that the banner contains a badge image, since the WTP tool won't show a banner image if you recompile one in to the file.
Quartered Force Commander
Quartered Marine Sergeant (with banner)
Quartered Sapce Marine
Quartered Whirlwind the example vehicle.

So, initial comments? or feel free to wait until I make a download available (might be next week once I finish work and move into my new flat with no job for two months before Uni starts again!)
At v0.1: WarFoundry (open source, cross-platform, multi-system army creation application)

mel_danes

Postby mel_danes at 05 Jul 2005, 22:36

Hey! Whats this not as good as crud?
I know plenty of people, fluff and heraldry types that have been waiting for these exact designs. As a companion release to the halved set this is a great thing. I assume like Sandwich's camo pattern if the Primary and Secondary are set the same you won't even see the pattern. With your pattern switcher in place , good deal.

I don't know what to do but the line between the color canges could use something. In real world designs you are dead on, it just could use something else. Maybe try some slight change in the dirt map, not full on stratches but some color changes might just make it snap. I really like the vehicle a lot. I'll try it out when you let me :D . I can see a whole army designed this way being quite cool.

Keep it up man. Good luck on the move. Uni, yeah looking forward to mine kicking back in.

SisterHelios
Guardsman (Decorated)
Guardsman (Decorated)
Progress to next rank:

15%

Postby SisterHelios at 06 Jul 2005, 06:03

Thats beautifully done I can't to snag this one,I like it alot very good job!

IBBoard
Administrator, Commissar
Administrator
Commissar
Progress to next rank:

38%

Postby IBBoard at 06 Jul 2005, 09:03

Damnit, I posted a reply this morning before I came to work - or at least I thought I did, must have missed the submit button :\
I'll edit this post later when I'm not supposed to be working :D but thanks guys :)

[edit] Yeah, in just about all of it (except the Marine's crotch for some reason, where it has a slight black stripe) you can't see the difference if primary and secondary are the same.

Unfortunately quartering the Marines has turned up a few more areas where textures are re-used :\ things like the edging down the side of the Land Raider's tracks are the same front and back, so it was OK halved but on Quartered the rear primary side has secondary coloured edging just around the tracks.

For a full table-top army in this scheme, check out http://www.howlinggriffon.co.uk/ and for the full original army that I saw in White Dwarf go to http://www.howlinggriffon.co.uk/blastsfromthepast.htm

As for the divide between the colours, I think I might finish off the quartering of the Apothecary and Librarian shoulder pad inners (the only bits of primary and secondary on them now) and see if I can fix some of the non-split bits of the Termi and then release those as a 1.0 with a 1.1 version including the split. I'll see what I can do about it, but I'm not sure how it'd work - anything in the way of changing saturation of colour would affect the "both colours the same" skins :\ that plus I'm not sure if the textures have enough detail to allow for a subtle yet noticable divide of any sort.

Hope you like the skins as much when I actually release them :D I'll post on Relic forums about it as well in the main DoW area (asked Moe and he said it was ok :) it'll get the attention of the non-modders as well then!)

Next plan: Codex Eldar (so that you can do the various colour schemes that I saw in an issue of White Dwarf from the past year - something about the Biel Tan and the Swordwind armies that they don't seem to have repeated on the website)

SisterHelios
Guardsman (Decorated)
Guardsman (Decorated)
Progress to next rank:

15%

Postby SisterHelios at 06 Jul 2005, 22:01

That should be inteteresting,would you do a Quarter scheme for the Chaos armies,or is the Space Marines going to be the only lucky one to get it since it seems to be a pain in the side to get done? ^_^

IBBoard
Administrator, Commissar
Administrator
Commissar
Progress to next rank:

38%

Postby IBBoard at 07 Jul 2005, 06:26

I could do one, but I just did Marines because I know they have the various heraldry combinations for different chapters, and no-one seemed to be doing them.

One optional thing that the Quartered pack will include (which you can see in the Sergeant screenie) is a reskinned banner. Unfortunately I've had to add a badge decal to the banner instead of adding the banner decal because the WTP tool won't work properly with banner decals :(

mel_danes

Postby mel_danes at 07 Jul 2005, 12:50

I had noticed the banner quarter, i thought it was baked on. Team color banner action, hell yeah. Great job on these.

Chaos Quartered...hmmm. Not sure how this would look.

IBBoard
Administrator, Commissar
Administrator
Commissar
Progress to next rank:

38%

Postby IBBoard at 07 Jul 2005, 13:23

Baked on? hard coded colouring? nope, proper team colouring with a banner image of sorts. Luckily it works quite well anyway, having the Griffon in the middle of the Howling Griffons banner :) other chapters could possibly do with something a bit more impressive, but unless someone can get the WTP tool to work with banners, then I can't be much help there.

SisterHelios
Guardsman (Decorated)
Guardsman (Decorated)
Progress to next rank:

15%

Postby SisterHelios at 08 Jul 2005, 00:41

Well if you see the Chaos Codex the Sons Of Malice are a quartered chaos marine legion with black and white

IBBoard
Administrator, Commissar
Administrator
Commissar
Progress to next rank:

38%

Postby IBBoard at 08 Jul 2005, 07:47

Someone would have to provide pictures if I did that - I can't find anything on Google image search :\ It might be possible after my Eldar, possibly my Grimjaw Orks and then the Stormtrooper striped Marines (not going to break copyrights and make them Stormtroopers from Star Wars, just going to put similar markings on their faces as someone asked me for)

SisterHelios
Guardsman (Decorated)
Guardsman (Decorated)
Progress to next rank:

15%

Postby SisterHelios at 13 Jul 2005, 03:32

Oh well I'll see if i can scan it from the Codex and send it your way I am sure you'd have fun with that,but you seemed a bit swamped with Skins :lol:

IBBoard
Administrator, Commissar
Administrator
Commissar
Progress to next rank:

38%

Postby IBBoard at 13 Jul 2005, 07:25

A little - I'm usually swamped with all sorts because I have more ideas than I have the time and skill to do :D especially the skinning, I tend to have ideas but then not be arty enough to do them quickly and then take ages tracking down little bits in the pattern.

OK, the Quartered Marines are very nearly finished - the shoulder pad on the Apothecary isn't perfectly quartered, but with the curve you've got to quarter it on it's nigh-on impossible (that plus most of it would be hidden under a badge anyway!) I've just got to package it, get screen shots, add the download and make the announcements now. Then I've got to complete the Eldar, and the Star Wars Stormtrooper-esque Marines and the Grimjaw Orks and anything else I can think of :D

IBBoard
Administrator, Commissar
Administrator
Commissar
Progress to next rank:

38%

Postby IBBoard at 13 Jul 2005, 11:48

OK, the skin is now released!

http://skins.hiveworldterra.co.uk/Downloads/detail70/

I'll probably release a "Codex Librarian" at some point as well - just some minor changes to the team colouring of the shoulder pad and he'll end up as a fully blue Librarian with a primary coloured left shoulder pad with trim coloured...erm...trim! There are predominantly chapter coloured Librarians, but I think the classic blue ones (along with the white Apothecary and the black Chaplain) are the real codex look.

mel_danes

Postby mel_danes at 03 Aug 2005, 06:10

Well IBB I've got ya covered. Check this badness.

http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=7945

This guy has done you right.

Next