IBBoard
Administrator, Commissar
Administrator
Commissar
Progress to next rank:

38%

Detailed 1024x1024 patterns?

Postby IBBoard at 26 Jun 2005, 10:18

Something I thought of recently, but I haven't tried yet - can we make more detailed patterns by upping the size of the images to 1024x1024? or does the WTP program not like it? It'd be great if we could because of all of the extra fine detail that you could fit in, and with my current hosting I should be able to manage the extra bandwidth it'd take :)
Out now: Dawn of War Texture/Skin Downloads
At v0.1: WarFoundry (open source, cross-platform, multi-system army creation application)

Sandwichwarrior

RE: Detailed 1024x1024 patterns?

Postby Sandwichwarrior at 28 Jun 2005, 17:13

Tested with Space Marine

I noticed alittle more slowdown when there were lots of guys on screen, the badges came out slightly distorted, and the finished file was 10+ megs.

I my opinion not worth it for infantry might work with vehicles though

IBBoard
Administrator, Commissar
Administrator
Commissar
Progress to next rank:

38%

Postby IBBoard at 29 Jun 2005, 07:21

Yeah, 10+ megs sounds about right - I think a normal skin is around 2.5MB and if you double both dimensions then thats four times the area, so four times the pixels. It might be useful for vehicles, although when you've got three pattern images, that could leave them rather large! The other alternative would be for characters like the Force Commander :) Although their face is already huge and majorly detailed, you could then add more detail to the rest of them and you'd not get too many of them on screen at once.
At v0.1: WarFoundry (open source, cross-platform, multi-system army creation application)

mel_danes

Postby mel_danes at 29 Jun 2005, 13:53

Already tried this. As you have come up with it kills graphics cards. I found if you just use the default layer, basically hard code it like the Blood Ravens are done, it really lightens up the file sizes. I thnk the best way to get better detail would be to remap the infantry onto two 512'sor a 512x1024. More space only twice the size. I'd like to have seen all the space availalble used. The FC has huge wasted space on his sheet, I almost included a naughty easter egg in the default layer for all those that uncompile my files. The basic CSM has a huge waste of texture space as well. I don't know why they did it. The FC could have used it to prevent the cape from twisting and warping. Ohhh well.

IBBoard
Administrator, Commissar
Administrator
Commissar
Progress to next rank:

38%

Postby IBBoard at 29 Jun 2005, 16:06

Yeah, one thing I noticed is that it helps to reduce file size if you don't include unecessary layers - that's just taking it to the extreme!

I'm sure that Relic could have skinned several of the models better - the Marines re-use the sides of the helmet so I couldn't half it and they re-use the sides of backpacks, the Termis re-use the back panel so that the halving and quartering doesn't work well on them at all. Then there is the good old Landspeeder and the Rhino with it's smoke launcher that is actually a section of the rear door!

I think it might still be an option for the special models like the characters, or possibly some parts of vehicles (but not all parts of all vehicles and certainly not all parts of something like the Grots :D) but I probably won't bother with it in anything I do - mainly because just about everything I do involves working on the existing patterns, so I'd lose the detail resizing it up anyway!