Bloodthirster without wings?

Danimator

RE: Bloodthirster without wings?

Postby Danimator at 06 Jun 2005, 23:44

I understand I can't start a new thread so can I ask a question here?

Here goes, I guess you will delete it if you don't want it here but please reply first if poss. even if only for 24 hours.

I have been trying to make a smaller daemon based on the Bloodthirster and want to remove the wings.

I can make the wings invisible by Blacking them out but then you can see straight through holes in the body where the wings meet the body.

Is there is way of covering these holes up are via skinning/texturing methods? You mention Ricocet elsewhere on this forum and I know he had similar problems and as far as I know never solved them.

Can anyone help.

Oh, and also would it be possible to reshape the horns via texturing or am I wasting my time trying to do this?

Thanks guys.

mel_danes

Postby mel_danes at 07 Jun 2005, 01:24

Basically there are no poly's under the wings, they were never meant to be taken off. So you see through the model. The horns would be the same way. To do what you want you need to remodel it. Sorry. I've spent a considerable amount of this in my work. To start a thread ask IBB to join the skinning group.

IBBoard
Administrator, Commissar
Administrator
Commissar
Progress to next rank:

38%

Postby IBBoard at 07 Jun 2005, 06:22

Sorry, I wouldn't know much about the modelling side, but from my bit of experience I've hit what mel_danes said - you blank something out on the Alpha channel by making it invisible, but then there was no surfact underneath it, so you just see straight through it.
If you want to post more and start topics about skinning/modelling projects (hey, might as well including modelling if people want it, its a similar process :)) then just PM me and I'll add you to the group :) For now I've just split this topic off into its own thread (ahhhhh, the joy of a more modern forum's features!)
Out now: Dawn of War Texture/Skin Downloads
At v0.1: WarFoundry (open source, cross-platform, multi-system army creation application)

Librarian Rannos

Postby Librarian Rannos at 07 Jun 2005, 08:19

I agree with IBBoard and mel_danes although I'm not really into anything else except miniatures....BTW welcome aboard Danimator.

Danimator

Postby Danimator at 08 Jun 2005, 10:18

Hi everybody,

Thanks for the warm welcome. I hope to spend a bit of time on texturing this summer so I might start appearing asking noob questions although I understand all the basic stuff now.

Bad news about the Bloodthirster though as I can't model and don't have 3ds max even if I could. I have asked a couple of modellers to help but no-one will, shame :(

It's just deciding where I want to go from here really. I have to decide where my interests lie and make a committment to a certain race, project or team as I have lost a lot of enthuisiasim since the last patch - I think a lot of us have.

If anybody can suggest a way of getting round the Bloodthirster/Wing problem please let me know.

:D

IBBoard
Administrator, Commissar
Administrator
Commissar
Progress to next rank:

38%

Postby IBBoard at 08 Jun 2005, 21:05

Feel free to ask questions :) I'll start a topic that I can then split from for new people's questions :)
At v0.1: WarFoundry (open source, cross-platform, multi-system army creation application)

Librarian Rannos

Postby Librarian Rannos at 09 Jun 2005, 12:58

Yeah,that would be good.Just one question:how Danimator started this topic without being a member of the modeling team?

IBBoard
Administrator, Commissar
Administrator
Commissar
Progress to next rank:

38%

Postby IBBoard at 14 Jun 2005, 08:44

He asked the question in another thread, and then I just split it out of the topic. The advantages of a modern new Admin system for the forums :)

Librarian Rannos

Postby Librarian Rannos at 14 Jun 2005, 10:21

Ohh....So you're the BIG and BAD admin who likes ORKS!!!Well I can see why
,oh,you evil admin.... :twisted:

just j/k :D

IBBoard
Administrator, Commissar
Administrator
Commissar
Progress to next rank:

38%

Postby IBBoard at 14 Jun 2005, 11:31

Yup, can't beat a good Waaaagh! of power in the morning. All the admin system needs now is a "boosta" that is activated by a big red button :D