Progress to next rank:

38%

RE: Ibboard's Wip

Postby IBBoard at 14 Apr 2005, 21:36

It hardly needs its own thread, but here goes:

Quartered Space Marines:

Space Marine (complete)
Dreadnaught (complete)

Nothing very impressive, but I'm just making it so that people can create quartered chapters :)

And a screenie of a very quick Howling Griffons colour scheme (picked from the pre-defined colours with my own badge that could do with being a bit smaller)
Out now: Dawn of War Texture/Skin Downloads
At v0.1: WarFoundry (open source, cross-platform, multi-system army creation application)

mel_danes

Postby mel_danes at 15 Apr 2005, 15:24

Much like in tabletop I'm sure a major force of these bad boys would look really impressive in DOW. The quartered chapters have primarily a bold color palette IIRC. Looks good so far. How far are you on the vehicles?

IBBoard
Administrator, Commissar
Administrator
Commissar
Progress to next rank:

38%

Postby IBBoard at 15 Apr 2005, 17:59

I'm not :D I've got the halved ones to work from, and I thought I had some quartered stuff other than the Marine done, but I can't find it so I'm starting again. Just did that last night after doing other things.
At v0.1: WarFoundry (open source, cross-platform, multi-system army creation application)

Multimadman

Postby Multimadman at 15 Apr 2005, 20:35

The ffect ingame is sure very cool I must say !
m

IBBoard
Administrator, Commissar
Administrator
Commissar
Progress to next rank:

38%

Postby IBBoard at 19 Apr 2005, 20:46

And now the Predator can join it :)
Unfortunately I've had to make the top of the sponsons black because once again Relic want to poop my party and re-use a texture in an awkward way so that it won't halve/quarter properly :\

IBBoard
Administrator, Commissar
Administrator
Commissar
Progress to next rank:

38%

Postby IBBoard at 19 Apr 2005, 20:50

And just for the sake of it, because he's done, the Space Marine.
And no, that isn't some strange palm tree shape on his shoulder, it's the Griffon's hands :D

[edit] Gah, it gets worse - they use a stripe across the middle of the back door of the Rhino for it's smoke launchers! so now I've got randomly quartered smoke launchers and no way to re-texture it without retexturing the back door! :(
But other than that, the Rhino is now also done :)

<!--EDIT|IBBoard|Apr 19 2005, 09:20 PM-->

Multimadman

Postby Multimadman at 20 Apr 2005, 20:00

Wicked work !!
So what kind of chapters use this ? And does the quartered scheme have a special meaning ?

TGSC
Sergeant
Sergeant
Progress to next rank:

37%

Postby TGSC at 20 Apr 2005, 23:20

Check out this website, its got a rough guide to colour schemes.

Brazen Claw (Blue/Red)
Death Eagles (Purple/White)
Howling Griffons (Red/Yellow - Chapter used as an example)
Nova Marines (White/Blue)
Sons of Guilliman (Blue/White)
Warmongers (Green/Blue)
Warrior Adepts (Blue/Dark Red)

Are listed as quatered. There's a page knocking about somewhere on the internet that has pictures of lots of chapters but I don't have it bookmarked. I don't think it means anything, just another way of incorporatibng combinations of colours into a colour scheme.

P.S. Apologies for any typos, I've had a few beers

IBBoard
Administrator, Commissar
Administrator
Commissar
Progress to next rank:

38%

Postby IBBoard at 21 Apr 2005, 07:40

Oh yeah, TGSC has access to this forum as well - he doesn't skin at the moment, but he's my brother and a SuperMod :D
And in case people want pics, GW have a Chapter Gallery
Basically, it's just like medieval heraldry - some like it plain, some like it halved, some like it quartered. Luckily no-one seems to like it with a massive chevron across the middle of it!

But I've got two ideas for the Rhino: 1) leave it as it is with a strangely quartered smake launcher, 2) cheat a little and put a trim or weapon coloured tactical arrow across the back door. I'll see what they look like tonight and hopefully post pics :)

But now I really should start working - I was supposed to start work 15 minutes ago :D

IBBoard
Administrator, Commissar
Administrator
Commissar
Progress to next rank:

38%

Postby IBBoard at 21 Apr 2005, 21:01

Really need to learn to get less distracted on a night!
I've got one little bit that I want to tweak on this (possibly two if I feel like moving the storm bolter to the Weapon layer) but the Land Speeder is now about finished!

*checks out the chapter gallery he linked to* damnit, GW say that the Howling Griffons are the other way round (i.e. yellow primary and red secondary on my scheme) :D

And yes, if you check out that whole gallery, you did see the "Rainbow Warriors" and "Space Sharks" (complete with crappy shark badge!)

<!--EDIT|IBBoard|Apr 21 2005, 09:12 PM-->

mel_danes

Postby mel_danes at 22 Apr 2005, 19:49

Because of the mirror of their parts the pilot and gunner might be a pain but have you considered quartering, no not killing, them? Would look cool...

IBBoard
Administrator, Commissar
Administrator
Commissar
Progress to next rank:

38%

Postby IBBoard at 23 Apr 2005, 19:22

Tried it for the halving (and posted asking for opinions on Relic forums) but the shoulder pads really screw it up :\ Relic chose to use the one pad on both shoulders, so I could halve the bodies (and the legs in this case) but the shoulder pads would both be the same colour :\ I might try again this time and see if I can come up with anything :)
But I think the Rhino might have to end up with a big Tactical arrow on the back door!

TGSC
Sergeant
Sergeant
Progress to next rank:

37%

Postby TGSC at 24 Apr 2005, 13:44

IBBoard wrote:*checks out the chapter gallery he linked to* damnit, GW say that the Howling Griffons are the other way round (i.e. yellow primary and red secondary on my scheme)

Yeah the marines and dreaddy are painted up wrong but to me the pred and land speeder are the right way round.

IBBoard
Administrator, Commissar
Administrator
Commissar
Progress to next rank:

38%

Postby IBBoard at 26 Apr 2005, 11:33

*checks scan on howlinggriffon.com or .co.uk or whatever*
Ah, yes, so they are :) makes my job much easier :D although it does mean that the Dreadie needs changing too!

IBBoard
Administrator, Commissar
Administrator
Commissar
Progress to next rank:

38%

Postby IBBoard at 13 Jul 2005, 08:05

OK, Quartered Marines are now done :) I'll be packaging them up, creating screen shots and adding a download (plus an announcement here and on Relic Forums) soon :)

Next WIP is the Eldar (see the other thread - I forgot about this one when I posted it!)

Next