Mel_Danes [Force Commander Last Post: 6-23-05]

mel_danes

RE: Mel_Danes [Force Commander Last Post: 6-23-05]

Postby mel_danes at 02 Jun 2005, 18:18

Thanks for the critique!

As for the lips thing. That is strange. I was at a wedding reception recently, many of my relatives are quite old, nearly wraiths themselves, and one of the traits I noticed was the older they got the more their lips semmed to fade away. Thats what I was shooting for. From a distance there is a gash or line in his face and thats it. Maybe to much though eh? On the eyes front, yeah they keep bugging me. They are a multi plane object, and they are smaller than the sarg's. I'm considering "Anime eye " treatment. IE making part of his face eyes, that way you can see it at a distance. If I could code I would add that glow effect from the game to all their eyes, that would be cool. The powerfist is still slaved to the weapon map, in that shot I had it set to tinbits or some greenish tone, hence the odd color.

The banner is done in two or three times resolution, this one looks really cartoony at that size. You lose a great amount of detail when you shrink it but many of the telltale signs remain, thus implied detail. Works pretty good. All my bone and flame maps are done that way to. I'll work on the eyes and lips tonight.

Thanks again.
Mel

IBBoard
Administrator, Commissar
Administrator
Commissar
Progress to next rank:

38%

Postby IBBoard at 02 Jun 2005, 20:58

Hmmmmmmmmmmm, I'll have to try double or triple resolution and see how my next badges and banners (whenever they may be!) turn out :)

As for the thin lips, yeah, suppose you're right, they probably do thin but it just looked like the wrinkles took the focus away from the lips even more than having thin lips would.
Out now: Dawn of War Texture/Skin Downloads
At v0.1: WarFoundry (open source, cross-platform, multi-system army creation application)

mel_danes

Color me done.

Postby mel_danes at 23 Jun 2005, 04:53

Well gents, scratch one FC off the list.

I may revisit this once I get the Death Guard textured up. This one is for my fans.

IBBoard
Administrator, Commissar
Administrator
Commissar
Progress to next rank:

38%

Postby IBBoard at 23 Jun 2005, 07:21

Very cool, top quality as per usual! I like the inclusion of the fossil in the last picture as well :D
Have you got a download for it? or do you want me to host it?
At v0.1: WarFoundry (open source, cross-platform, multi-system army creation application)

Sandwichwarrior

Postby Sandwichwarrior at 24 Jun 2005, 19:43

Snagged it of DOWfiles.

your LOTD continues to impress i particularly like the skulls on the backpack vents.

Though i have to admit i only install them so my Ork and Eldar factions can blow 'em up.

mel_danes

Postby mel_danes at 29 Jun 2005, 13:47

Sorry for my absence gentlemen, and ladies. I hate wallpaper, and furniture, and carpet. Did I say wallpaper? Yeah wallpaper. I have, and am still, remodeled my living room. My wife, and mother, have decreed it be done. This is one of those we/I moments. Yippiee! As my living room is my office I have no PC. I check mail at universtiy.

Thanks for the opinions lads. IBB you are the first one to publicly notice that subtle inclusion, I'm so happy when someone gets my ideas. As for hosting it is over at DOWfiles for now, I like to track my download rate. I would gladly place it over here, along with my other legion skins. I need to re-do the Dred anyway. I've considered doing a hi-rez, basic team colored, version pack for the die hards. What do you think?

Sandwich, I have it on good authority that the legion would be honoured to engage in holy battle with your very cool eldar skins.

IBBoard
Administrator, Commissar
Administrator
Commissar
Progress to next rank:

38%

Postby IBBoard at 29 Jun 2005, 16:16

You can track the downloads here :) and if you want it sent out as an email, I'm sure I could manage that too (the many advantages of having a custom CMS!). I'd just like to make a great community site for skins (and I'm trying to link up with Hangar-8 to cross-link to his cool badges) and I think I've definately got the bandwidth to handle most things that people can throw at me! (160GB if anyone wants to know! so no masses of banners and definately not any popups)

Glad I noticed your little inclusion :D it was one of the first things I noticed about the background, and I know how artists like to add little details in their work that point to things and make you think :)

What's the plan with the hi-res version? just as it is now, only with more detail? Sounds good as a very basic idea, and I'm sure there are loads of die hards out there! The only things with more downloads than my halved Space Marines on DoWFiles are your LotD and Sandwich's Tiger Grav Tank!

[edit] *comes up with idea* the other way I could do it is provide a page that lists all downloads that are by a certain author - that'd add an extra feature for most users and would also allow you to see all of your downloads in one go (unless they were on multiple pages, at which point you'd have submitted a lot of textures and you'd just have to make do with batches :D)

[edit2] Ooooops, almost forgot - good luck with the living room, hope you get it sorted soon :) I'm moving into a new flat in 10 days, but my g/f is already in there so most of the setting up is done, just need to move my computer and desk in to the corner we've left for it and move all of my clothes etc in :)

IBBoard
Administrator, Commissar
Administrator
Commissar
Progress to next rank:

38%

Postby IBBoard at 15 Jul 2005, 12:42

Sorry for the delay, Mel_Danes, but I've now mirrored your Force Commander and Marines on Skins@HWT (I've moved all of the files that pointed to DoWFiles downloads on to my server so that people can download without banners and popups :) ). The download rate checking will be uploaded soon (I've got most of the code done on my development machine, just got to get it finished and uploaded :) ) then you should be able to see all of your downloads and download counts on one page (or two if you have a lot of downloads!)

I know you haven't been here for a while, but any update on what's coming next? or did you get buried under the wallpaper and carpet? :D

mel_danes

Postby mel_danes at 15 Jul 2005, 19:37

Thanks for the update.
Wallpaper looks pretty...well...girly. My wife picked it, and of course I hung it. It looks good with the new furniture, even my old desk looks pretty good. It especially looks good against my signed Graham Mcneil Warriors of Ultramar poster :shock:
I am currently trying my hand at unwrapping Terra_01's Plague Marine model, for the Denizens of the Warp mod. I have soem UI's in the fire to, as well as Nurglifing the LR retex I did for Rudy's defunct mod. For the LotD I want to do all the rhino chassis vehicles next, or maybe the Termi's. Not sure.

IBBoard
Administrator, Commissar
Administrator
Commissar
Progress to next rank:

38%

Postby IBBoard at 16 Jul 2005, 07:46

Sounds like you're busy then :D Good luck with the Nurgle skinning, if that Dreadnought is anything to go by they'll be great textures and amazingly detailed!

IBBoard
Administrator, Commissar
Administrator
Commissar
Progress to next rank:

38%

Postby IBBoard at 19 Jul 2005, 09:02

OK, I've updated the Downloads section - you can now see a list of all of the downloads that you've authored :)
http://skins.hiveworldterra.co.uk/Downl ... Mel_Danes/

And if you read this, Sandwich, your list would be http://skins.hiveworldterra.co.uk/Downl ... chwarrior/

Any other suggestions on features to add, just email them to me or post them in the suggestions forum :)

[edit] The URLs will still work, but I've changed the format a little - they're now:

skins.hiveworldterra.co.uk/Downloads/author.html?name=AuthorName

e.g.

http://skins.hiveworldterra.co.uk/Downl ... =Mel_Danes
http://skins.hiveworldterra.co.uk/Downl ... me=IBBoard
http://skins.hiveworldterra.co.uk/Downl ... ichwarrior
and the same is true for all other submissions - just hit the name in the download to show all of the author's other downloads :)

MadMaffMan
Nob
Nob
Progress to next rank:

15%

Postby MadMaffMan at 24 Aug 2005, 19:47

Wasn't it the Fire Hawks Chapter that got lost in the warp and rumour has it became the Legion Of The Damned???
"No Pity! No Remorse! No Beer!"

IBBoard
Administrator, Commissar
Administrator
Commissar
Progress to next rank:

38%

Postby IBBoard at 25 Aug 2005, 07:17

That's one of the GW possible story lines, but nothing is ever confirmed about the history of the LotD that I know of.

mel_danes

Postby mel_danes at 25 Aug 2005, 23:59

Well it depends on if you follow the "original" "evolved" or "revisionist" fluff. Like all things 40k, GW have dinked it around to suit the staff and "consumers". Originally they were warp plagued and insane, then they were just damned like wraiths spectral avengers of the emperors wrath. Now they seem to be "cursed founding fodder" that serve on even in death. Who knows.
I just like the mini's and the evolved story from the second edition ultramarines codex. No-one is really wrong or right.

MadMaffMan
Nob
Nob
Progress to next rank:

15%

Postby MadMaffMan at 26 Aug 2005, 00:15

Yeah i liked the old codexs much more than these new ones, they had loads of background info in them for gribblies like me to soak up like an old sponge.
Still i here that the new codexs are going to have more fluff in them. :)
"No Pity! No Remorse! No Beer!"

PreviousNext