Mel_Danes [Force Commander Last Post: 6-23-05]

mel_danes

Mel_Danes [Force Commander Last Post: 6-23-05]

Postby mel_danes at 13 Apr 2005, 19:19

Well here we go. Below is the test shot for the Death Guard Dread I am doing for ricocet. This thing is a pain.

I will post a shot tonight to show you what I mean about the UV's issue.
opinions?

<!--EDIT|mel_danes|May 11 2005, 11:38 PM-->
Last edited by mel_danes on 23 Jun 2005, 04:54, edited 2 times in total.

IBBoard
Administrator, Commissar
Administrator
Commissar
Progress to next rank:

38%

RE: Mel_Danes [Force Commander Last Post: 6-23-05]

Postby IBBoard at 13 Apr 2005, 20:29

Cool, although the whole looks a little odd being just plain black. Not entirely sure what you could do with it though (maybe some really really dark guts/pus or something - something really hidden in the shadows so that it is hints of shapes that just stop it being a big blank hole).

But where do people find their logos? I've got some resources now, but a lot of places for chapter badges have either really sketchy ones that are awful to work off or they end up only describing the chapter and not the badge :\
Out now: Dawn of War Texture/Skin Downloads
At v0.1: WarFoundry (open source, cross-platform, multi-system army creation application)

mel_danes

Postby mel_danes at 14 Apr 2005, 15:16

The black hole will be part of the default map, I will put three eyes there.

As for badges, yeah it is a pain. Many of them only ever exixsted as bad fan art.

Multimadman

Postby Multimadman at 15 Apr 2005, 20:38

Some great detail her mel, who is ricochet if I may ask ?

IBBoard
Administrator, Commissar
Administrator
Commissar
Progress to next rank:

38%

Postby IBBoard at 16 Apr 2005, 10:54

He's one of the modders/coders on the Relic Forums - thought it was without the 'h' (ricocet maybe) and if it is any use, he has a Chaos Marine avatar :D
From what I remember, he is on about five mod teams, or at least seems to be :D
At v0.1: WarFoundry (open source, cross-platform, multi-system army creation application)

mel_danes

Postby mel_danes at 17 Apr 2005, 04:09

Eye gross in place.

Yeah I think you are right on the name, I just get it wrong. He is doing a Death Guard mod and asked me to do him a skin. I wanted to do something a little different, so I went for it.

IBBoard
Administrator, Commissar
Administrator
Commissar
Progress to next rank:

38%

Postby IBBoard at 17 Apr 2005, 08:27

As they like to say in GW - "Gribbly"!
Very cool, possibly a bit too vibrant compared to the other duller tones of the bodywork, but definately good on the Nurgle factor!

mel_danes

Postby mel_danes at 29 Apr 2005, 06:00

Well, trying to get a texture in for Rudy's contest over on the Relic Forums. I am hoping to get into some kind of mod. <_< Get some exposure out in the world. What do you think gentlemen??? ;)

It's a little big.

Critique away!

IBBoard
Administrator, Commissar
Administrator
Commissar
Progress to next rank:

38%

Postby IBBoard at 29 Apr 2005, 07:28

Cool!
I'm not sure if it is just the pictures, but some of those corners look a little ... cornery! The top left shot, the join at the top looks rather square - not a clue why cos the close in shots show it as a mid-slant.

But definately good quality - better than the one that is already in the competition, it only had the points on top!

I like the swirl-details that you and Hangar8 are adding to Chaos things :)

mel_danes

Postby mel_danes at 04 May 2005, 04:40

Well here we go , back on with the dreadnaught...yeah!

Major breakthrough tonight. Sitting with my fine woman and some new friends at the local coffee shop and the muse struck. Presented below is my evenings scribbles. I worked out the placement of the eye gross. I'll put it on the right side weapon mount. It changes 3 times, from Powerfist to Assault Cannon to Lazcannon. So keeping with my "no evils" concept for the LotD I have a three part progressive texture piece. I also worked out the sarcophagus and eye slit. Wohoo!!

Ready for the tablet, "Yes my pretty you will be grand."

To you Mr. Board. The edges on the LR are a little cornery on that angle. When you move the camera it looks ok. See below.

Waiting to see what Rudy wants to do? He's been gone from the forum for a few days.

IBBoard
Administrator, Commissar
Administrator
Commissar
Progress to next rank:

38%

Postby IBBoard at 04 May 2005, 07:49

Very nice - and yeah, the angel shows it off a little better now :)
The doodles look great, and a good idea to change them per-weapon :) makes me wonder what your friends thought when you randomly started doodling that :D Much better than anything I could do though (got a couple of avatars on the forums and they're not great!)
Any hosting of it yet? or are you waiting to see what Rudy says? I've got an idea for hosting now that doesn't involve dowfiles.com with all of its popups (not everyone has Firefox or a popup blocker) but it is limited to 2MB per file :\

mel_danes

LotD FC

Postby mel_danes at 01 Jun 2005, 19:25

Well lads I need some new eyes on this thing. What do you think? Please be critical! I have tried to reduce the amount of "character spiffy", pistol holster, purity seals, calf door knocker. This was to make him more like a regular trooper. Tried to get rid of the chest seal and dangles, no good. I kept getting alpha ghosts.

IBBoard
Administrator, Commissar
Administrator
Commissar
Progress to next rank:

38%

Postby IBBoard at 01 Jun 2005, 19:59

Very impressive, the skin looks nicely aged and the eyes have a goo pale/blind effect to them. I'm not so sure that the eyes work at a longer distance, though (looking at the sergeant). The only thing that I might suggest there is a little bit more definition to the lips - a slight edge or change in colour. The eyebrows and nose are still defined by the shape of the wrinkles but his lips get a little lost under them because they run the opposite way.
The bone on the thigh is a good addition - extra detail while not being too much. I can't quite tell the quality from this angel though.
Also, is that a nice green overlap problem on the sergeant's power fist?

I like the banner too - how do you manage to get so much detail into a 64x96px image?

Librarian Rannos

Postby Librarian Rannos at 02 Jun 2005, 09:16

Impressive!Most impressive!!![BTW what are those guys-SM or CSM?]

IBBoard
Administrator, Commissar
Administrator
Commissar
Progress to next rank:

38%

Postby IBBoard at 02 Jun 2005, 09:45

They're Space Marines - Legion of the Damned. Some of the fluff is about them having been lost in the warp, or infected by a warp plague. They're no longer a legion as such, they just turn up as squads where needed.

And don't forget about the scrolling image ;)

Next