IBBoard
Administrator, Commissar
Administrator
Commissar
Progress to next rank:

38%

RE: Dawn Of War Patterns

Postby IBBoard at 03 Jan 2005, 13:57

OK, just some ideas that I've come up with so far that I'll work on at some point:

Howling Griffons/quartered marines,
Mentors Legion (the style where the helmet and trim is one colour then the body is another)
Coloured Fists (Crimson Fists style - if its possible and they don't use one hand for both hands - but with the hand in the trim colour)

Grimjaw Orks (my ork clan - basically normal, but always with black warpaint on their jaw)

Any other ideas/comments/questions?

[edit] Just googled "dawn of war" pattern and we're basically the top! we're actually 16th on .com, but the ones above us use pattern in different ways (e.g. "there is a pattern emerging" and other things that don't really mean dawn of war patterns in the "patterns for colour schemes" sense)

<!--EDIT|The Emperor|Jan 3 2005, 01:59 PM-->
Out now: Dawn of War Texture/Skin Downloads
At v0.1: WarFoundry (open source, cross-platform, multi-system army creation application)

TGSC
Sergeant
Sergeant
Progress to next rank:

37%

Postby TGSC at 03 Jan 2005, 17:33

I'm not sure how you've done it on the site but a recommendation for new teamcolour files;

ship them as chaptername.teamcolour rather than whatever it is now, i renamed my colour scheme and it still worked, ant it shouldnt overwrite unless you have two schemes with the same chapter name in the armypainter

IBBoard
Administrator, Commissar
Administrator
Commissar
Progress to next rank:

38%

Postby IBBoard at 04 Jan 2005, 12:54

Good idea - makes it mean more to the user too once they've downloaded it. I thought they needed to be number named, but if they don't then I'll change it in the database.

When I get home I'll set up sub-areas in the downloads area for Patterns and Team colours and do more work on my pattern switcher.
At v0.1: WarFoundry (open source, cross-platform, multi-system army creation application)

IBBoard
Administrator, Commissar
Administrator
Commissar
Progress to next rank:

38%

Postby IBBoard at 04 Jan 2005, 21:10

A real quartered scheme seems to be out of the question - they only give you one half of the back of the helmet, and then the re-use it for the other half, so I can't make the helmet quartered properly :(

Oh well, on to Mentor Legion :)

IBBoard
Administrator, Commissar
Administrator
Commissar
Progress to next rank:

38%

Postby IBBoard at 04 Jan 2005, 22:09

The first pattern is going up soon! its close to the Mentor legion, but I only have one poor quality photograph to work from so far, so I'm not sure how accurate it is.

TGSC
Sergeant
Sergeant
Progress to next rank:

37%

Postby TGSC at 05 Jan 2005, 11:17

Image ?

For the quatered, just do the helmet primary colour

IBBoard
Administrator, Commissar
Administrator
Commissar
Progress to next rank:

38%

Postby IBBoard at 05 Jan 2005, 21:41

Yeah, that pic - it ain't great cos its an old plastic Marine and you can't quite tell what the body is.

But I'd just thought of your quartering idea myself today! damnit, I deleted all my other quartering work!
I'll look at a tutorial some time soon (maybe a map of the skin pointing out what is which bit)

IBBoard
Administrator, Commissar
Administrator
Commissar
Progress to next rank:

38%

Postby IBBoard at 06 Jan 2005, 10:05

Work for tonight:
Finish off the loading/saving for the switcher app (should be easy enough, its XML :))
Maybe another pattern file (I should do some work for a Uni presentation really :()

I've just checked google for every combination of Dawn of War (quoted and unquoted) with pattern(s) and colour scheme(s) (quoted and unquoted, pluralised and normal) and HWT turns up in the top 20 for all of them! :o I'm going to aim for only authentic stuff on HWT - so none of this "US Marines 1st Airborne banner" and crap.

[edit] We're also top 10 for "dawn of war" wtp! This could be going somewhere! I'm suprised more people haven't made alternate pattern files with the length of time that the game has been out!

<!--EDIT|The Emperor|Jan 6 2005, 01:19 PM-->

IBBoard
Administrator, Commissar
Administrator
Commissar
Progress to next rank:

38%

Postby IBBoard at 08 Jan 2005, 16:48

We're third for space marine pattern dawn of war! Granted it only seems to be on the Venezualan version for some reason, but we're still top 10 on .com :) Go for it people! Make patterns! Make colour schemes! Make badges and banners and anything else useful!

TGSC
Sergeant
Sergeant
Progress to next rank:

37%

Postby TGSC at 08 Jan 2005, 18:30

Booyah

Dawn of War Goodies

Some of the colour schemes use different patters tho, which I've not included. Gonna have to put them on the site yourself cos I'm listening to my new prodigy cd and getting ready to go out

IBBoard
Administrator, Commissar
Administrator
Commissar
Progress to next rank:

38%

Postby IBBoard at 08 Jan 2005, 21:06

Cool :) I'll upload those tomorrow when I get a chance and Abi hasn't hijacked my main computer to play The Sims 2 on!
How do the banners look in the game? I've seen some sites that have uber-detailed banners, but I'm not entirely sure if it'd be worth all of the effort (things like curls and folds and general flappy-ness)

[edit] OK, putting them up now - managed to find a bit of time :) Any hints as to which is which with the patterns so that I can say? Iron Hands was one of my ideas for Colour Scheme and Pattern (they're the opposite hand to Crimson Fists I think), plus I've got another 4 possible colour schemes and 15 new possible patterns or pattern changes written down! Not looked at badges and banners yet (they involve work from scratch - I can't do that as well :D)

[edit2] OK, I've put them up. I ignored the Dark Angels because I think you accidentally saved that from the game, and I ignored the Salamanders cos I've done them already. I'll do packages tomorrow (e.g. crimson fists pattern, colour scheme, badge and banner) and link between the colour schemes and the badges and everything so that people know they exist and can get to them easily.

Only one last thing I need - confirmation of which pattern you were using with what. I'm assuming Mentors and Swords of Sanguinius are the old mentor pattern (now renamed), Crimson Fists and Iron Hands are the Crimson Fists colour scheme and Flesh Tearers and Black Templars are default.

If you want anything adding or changing in the descriptions, just tell me or do it yourself, I'm sure you can log in and use PHPMyAdmin easy enough :)

<!--EDIT|The Emperor|Jan 8 2005, 11:22 PM-->

IBBoard
Administrator, Commissar
Administrator
Commissar
Progress to next rank:

38%

Postby IBBoard at 09 Jan 2005, 20:27

A useful section (link stolen from Relic forums) for when you want to do Space Marine colours and badges :) http://us.games-workshop.com/games/40k/spa...m_gallery/1.htm - there are over 80 chapters there!