The pink box

misterhamtastic
New blood
New blood
Progress to next rank:

2%

The pink box

Postby misterhamtastic at 12 Jan 2010, 22:15

I have created 3 copies of the space marine. They worked fine before I tried to copy the various files for their appearance. I am trying to give each unit a different color, so I have to basically make the copies, edit the rsh file, then edit the whm file to look for the rsh under the right name. Sounds easy, right?

The "vanilla" marine O was able to give a different color to this way. I no longer had a red marine as the only file I needed to really mess with was the rsh file.

Is it the fact that I have been editing the files with notepad when I had to redirect them? Any ideas? I've been trying to figure this out for the better part of two days now.

Oh, and I don't know what I am doing wrong, but I can't open anything in OE. Always one error or another.

*edit*

No burn config? :WTF:

IBBoard
Administrator, Commissar
Administrator
Commissar
Progress to next rank:

38%

Re: The pink box

Postby IBBoard at 14 Jan 2010, 18:49

Pink boxes mean that the unit definition can't find the model or that it can't load it because it is corrupt. You should get an error message in the log if you ever get a pink box.

If you're using Notepad (a text editor) for editing binary files ('hex-editing') then I'd say that it is almost certainly your problem. Although Notepad might be able to take a good stab at rendering the file contents, not all values can be correctly rendered and might not save back properly.

Also, you need to be very careful when hex-editing DoW data files anyway. The files contain "chunks" (check out "IChunky Viewer" on the Skins@HWT site) which define a length in the header. If the length doesn't match the content (i.e. you edit but replace it with something longer or shorter) then you'll corrupt the file and it won't be loaded.
Out now: Dawn of War Texture/Skin Downloads
At v0.1: WarFoundry (open source, cross-platform, multi-system army creation application)